So whats the next step?

NAZGÛL

Hi!

Id like some help. Thing is Ive grown a little tired of my MR CE and started to look at the movie accurate helmets. It is a little confusing, even after reading around here, and through the starwarshelmets.com's stormtrooper section a few times.

Id like it to be as close to the original props as possible, but dont know if I got the money for it... Sometimes I hear about pulls with some minor faults being sold to a lower price. That sounds like a good option for me, Im an experienced modeler and not afraid to do a little work, but I dont even know how to get one of those.

Ive seen some helmets on the bay, but they smell recast and therefore not for me.

Any advices on where to start looking, and for what? ;)

Thanks for any help!

Cheers

Yes you seek TE2, he's a stand up guy and his molds are probably the least tampered with out of all the providers of white plastic. Ive had several TK buckets pass thru my hands and I think his bumpy cap shows the most detailed bumps and character lines of all the helmets Ive owned.

Thanks for the replies Darth finger and Smitty! :duim:

The TE2 does look awesome! It seems a little expensive for my wallet to be honest. Are there less expensive alternatives that still would look like the movie props?

What is a VT helmet? I hear the name mentioned here and there.

VT is a another armor seller (recast if that concerns you). I think he's an associate of CAP's who's molds are based off the AP & TE molds. I think it was during a time when people were making armor, then not making armor, selling molds, etc.. and various molds changed hands (this happened before my time, so I'm just stating what I've read). There's a few people here on FISD including myself that have some of his armor.

Recasting aside, the armor is decent but the lid is probably not the quality you're seeking. The armor is ABS and is off white in color. The helmet pull detail isn't as sharp or deep as TE2 or some others. It's definitely better quality than FX, but doesn't quite match up to some of the highest end armor helmets.

That's just my 2 cents

Thanks for the info pandatrooper (love your avatar btw;))!

Im a little confused though, who would VT have recast? Ive heard he bought the molds from CAP, who bought them from TE before that. Like I said its confusing and I may very well have missunderstood... LOL

Catbread said:
VT is CAP's first recasted armor, which was AP. (if I recall correctly.)

I thought that the VT helmets are from 2 sources - his Hero from the AP, the stunt from the TE? Cant find the post. Please correct if I am wrong.

to the OP - there were some threads that mentioned AP "seconds" a few months ago. Not sure how cheap they run.

------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

NAZGÛL said:
Are there less expensive alternatives that still would look like the movie props?

ATA, i have a helmet. see------------

6th post down for contact info.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Thanks for the explanations and tips guys! The ATA sounds really interesting! How would you guys rate it against the AP?

This is one of the reasons why i love this place!

Cheers

first difference is the material - AP is ABS. ATA (at least for now) is HIPS. HIPS must be painted, and is a little less durable. Details are felt to be sharper in HIPS. I have one of each. Like them both for different reasons.

I started to look at the ATA and man, that is such a cool thing. I just ordered a helmet.

LOL for the first time ever I actually started to think about getting a whole set (shhh just dont tell my wife I said so. ;)).

I will make a thread on building the helmet when it arrives. Again, thanks for all the tips everyone!

Cheers