SDS blaster any one got one?

Trooperman

I was just looking at that thing the other day. SDS can sell/ship to Canada. This is more like "sky-Fire" and not MR Right? I can tell ya right now. I am really REALLY looking at his bat-spec bucket, and thinking, I blew $500 for my MR E11 to canada, why not the same for a bucket???? What do you guy's think. To have as part of a collection and that only, you think 5 bill's too much for a bucket? Not that too meny here in Canada or USA.

Well Steve, I have an SDS helmet (the one seen on my avatar.) You can see the thread I put when I received it here.

Things I can say about it:

Ā 

On the upside, the general quality is good. The ABS is really nice and of a milky, solid white. More white than the AP.

It's nicely assembled. It feels solid.

The teeth comes hand painted now. The trimming is nice too. It's assembled in the traditional way, with a green film for the eyes and a clover foam as padding.

Accurate aerators and regular decals.

Ā 

On the downside, it's visibly warped. Very odd indeed. Not just asymmetric, warped. It's difficult to explain, but when you see it side by side with other helmets, you instantly know what I'm talking about.

The ears are separated pieces, and very prominent (might need work to leave it accurate.) And they fell off easily.

The vocoder has a separate, ugly plastic piece. Nasty. On of the worst parts of the helmet.

Ā 

So, I don't know.

If you just want to have as much helmets as possible, then go ahead. But it's expensive, specially for Americans. And not a "great" helmet. Just a "good" one.

IMHO, of course. :)

Well Steve, I have an SDS helmet (the one seen on my avatar.) You can see the thread I put when I received it here.

Things I can say about it:

Ā 

On the upside, the general quality is good. The ABS is really nice and of a milky, solid white. More white than the AP.

It's nicely assembled. It feels solid.

The teeth comes hand painted now. The trimming is nice too. It's assembled in the traditional way, with a green film for the eyes and a clover foam as padding.

Accurate aerators and regular decals.

Ā 

On the downside, it's visibly warped. Very odd indeed. Not just asymmetric, warped. It's difficult to explain, but when you see it side by side with other helmets, you instantly know what I'm talking about.

The ears are separated pieces, and very prominent (might need work to leave it accurate.) And they fell off easily.

The vocoder has a separate, ugly plastic piece. Nasty. On of the worst parts of the helmet.

Ā 

So, I don't know.

If you just want to have as much helmets as possible, then go ahead. But it's expensive, specially for Americans. And not a "great" helmet. Just a "good" one.

IMHO, of course. :)

Nope, that dose it for me....I'll just wait on my AP kit. And I still have my RT mod kit to come too! :D

As promised...

E111.jpg.f6c1d0f93d51add9d7624f935f298855.jpg

Ā 

I really need to sort some time out and get my deactivated Sterling finished, I just haven't had time to do any projects recently, bar taking some pics!

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

Hi Guys,

I don't actually have a E11 from AA yet even though he used my parts for casting / injection molding. What I can say is if you are looking for a strong lightweight blaster for trooping you could do a lot worse than the SDS. But if you are after a screen accurate E11 then maybe this is not for you. The main difference between this and the real deal apart from the weight is that the receiver tube is a fraction smaller and the front sight is solid but could be hollowed out if you felt the need. The T-track isn't that accurate but again could be replaced. And the trigger guard is a little on the large side, I think AA may be doing these in kit form soon which would be better for anyone wanting SA.

Having not got one yet I really haven't studied it for any other defects but those are the ones that stood out to me. Other than lending the parts for molding I had nothing to do with the finished product. All I can say is that the scope, Cylinders, counter and Sterling parts where all cast from originals so those parts are good to go.

Joe public are not going to see anything wrong with it and it is super light and good to hold for a days trooping without your arms falling Off!

To sum it up

Screen Accurate = NO

Light weight , Strong and fairly good looking = YES

It's still more accurate than a Hasbro conversion but more expensive.

There are lots of alternatives out there and it's really down to personal choice.

I am going to see AA soon, I'll have another look and maybe even be given the one I was promised so I will know more then.

I hope this clears up some questions.

Ā 

Scott do you have one of these or is that a comparison of photos?

Ghost said:

As promised...

Ā 

I really need to sort some time out and get my deactivated Sterling finished, I just haven't had time to do any projects recently, bar taking some pics!

For More Then A Few Year's As A Young lad, I As A Young Weapons Tech, Worked On The Canadian 9mm SMG, The Same UK SterlingJust With Some Canadian Change's To Some Part's. Yes Other's May Not, But I Still Say I would Be Just As Happy With That SMG as say A MP5...But I Am Old! :P So When You Say You Have At Least A "Deactivated" Sterling To Convert, I Just Cry! So This E11 Is Not Just A All One Piece Blob Of Plastic, But is Made With Parts Cast Then Fixed Together?

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

For More Then A Few Year's As A Young lad, I As A Young Weapons Tech, Worked On The Canadian 9mm SMG, The Same UK SterlingJust With Some Canadian Change's To Some Part's. Yes Other's May Not, But I Still Say I would Be Just As Happy With That SMG as say A MP5...But I Am Old! :P So When You Say You Have At Least A "Deactivated" Sterling To Convert, I Just Cry! So This E11 Is Not Just A All One Piece Blob Of Plastic, But is Made With Parts Cast Then Fixed Together?

Ā 

Yes that is correct. I supplied all the parts. Only the receiver , trigger guard,T track front sight housing are not cast from originals I believe. Oh and the cylinders, I made them myself.

I know the Canadian sterling, I think I have that one. The folding stock is a different design and slightly longer. Mine dry fires and is strippable as it's an old spec deac. I have since put a Uk folding stock on mine.

The SDS blaster is modeled off of AA's Sterling, although he did borrow mine as another reference and he used my M38, metal cased Henglester and cylinders. Scope rail and counter bracket

Well, I looked at the Spanish Garrison forums, and I have a picture of what the guys here didn't like about it:

Ā 

-----------

Ā 

I think they expected something more "clean", a not so rough finish.

Personally I have no objections to the blaster, just wanted to reflect other people's opinions.

Edited by gmrhodes13

I think the roughness just shows how good the injection molding process is as That is the paint finish on his Sterling it has picked up.

I had a word with Andrew today about some of the inconsistencies in his blaster and he has said to me that he plans to address the points that I mentioned.

1. receiver diameter

2. front sight

3. greeblies on the side of the receiver as in the bayonet fixing and the flash crescent pieces.

4. The T-Track.

and a few other minor things.

He is even considering a moving Stock and selling them and as a kit.

I'll keep you posted..............

Dmian said:
Well, I looked at the Spanish Garrison forums, and I have a picture of what the guys here didn't like about it:

Ā 

-----------

Ā 

I think they expected something more "clean", a not so rough finish.

Personally I have no objections to the blaster, just wanted to reflect other people's opinions.

Well....I Did IT!.....I Pulled The Pin And Let Fly! So Starting From Today, Well See If 1) They Ship To Canada, 2) I got My MR E11 From Brian's Toy's So I Will Be Able To Report To Other Canadian Trooper's Here If They Will Let It In. 3) How Long It Take's to Get To Myself here In Delta, And The Big Question All Here Will Ask "Do You Need An Other E11?" HELL YA! :D (P.S+ I Luv My Weapon's Rough! Will Look Like It's Got Some T.I :P )

Edited by gmrhodes13

I think the roughness just shows how good the injection molding process is as That is the paint finish on his Sterling it has picked up.

I had a word with Andrew today about some of the inconsistencies in his blaster and he has said to me that he plans to address the points that I mentioned.

1. receiver diameter

2. front sight

3. greeblies on the side of the receiver as in the bayonet fixing and the flash crescent pieces.

4. The T-Track.

That's exactly what I told them, that it was somewhat "pre-weathered" :D

But as I told, they expected it to be "clean".

The kit is great news!

It may make it a bit cheaper, I hope.

• 2 weeks later...

1. receiver diameter

2. front sight

4. The T-Track.

I hate to stop all the wild hot chat going on here at FISD on a Friday night, but just would like to ask you good Sir, (you seem to have an "In" with SDS), I have tried to get info on the state of my order, email ect, but have not got any thing back. I think I made this order before your postie's whent on strike. (Yes even we here in the coloines have that problem from time to time too!) Could you help out a loyal soldier of the crown, and add some lube to the wheel's over there and get a reply for me :rolleyes: Thank's! Oh and "God Save The Queen! (I have her image on some of my decorations so better add that) :P