My white armor quest begins - Questions

After Dragoncon and now this forum I am 100% definitely set on becoming a stormtrooper but had some questions after reading some of the threads here. It has always been a thought in my mind that "I need a stormtrooper costume". At the time I didn't know what I really wanted was to go troopin' with a full suite of armor!

I would like to first start out with my physical size. I am 6f and weigh ~190-200lbs. Lower body is muscular and upper body is just defined. Don't have huge arms or anything. My head is too big(roflmao). If it is a flexfit hat it has to be L/XL or fitted I need a 7 1/2. It would appear I would want to use FX Armor that is available on the forum as FX Lite? If not what should I be looking at?

It appears that the FX Helmet is not 501st approved due to the slightly oversized nature? Is that correct or I am not understanding/reading properly? It appears Master Replicas is a very liked helmet and it may be an option. It seems they sometimes pop up on eBay but as I have read there doesn't seem to be a site :(

The helmet seems to be a very important part if not the most important. Are they are 1 sized fit all product and then you size them to you? Fit it with fans/mics/etc? What is everyone using on that front? It would seem for instance being in the south that a fan system would be something that is nice to have!

On the blaster front it appears there is the basic 'standard issue' E-11 blaster but others appear to exist and in photos I have seen stormtroopers weilding them. If I decide to go with a DLT-19 will I not be allowed to be in the 501st? Can I have the E-11 in a leather pouch but have the DLT-19 as my primary weapon?

What weapon is this trooper holding? I can only find it listed as 'lewis gun' where I saw it posted for the pic. Is that only for sandtroopers like it is pictured in?

DSCF0549.thumb.jpg.71b4fba2210070bff0d05810b6609743.jpg

How much custom fab is really going to be required if say I go with FX Lite? I seem that snaps, velcro, padding, spacers, shims etc are all used. As well as some trimming so you can actually walk around potentially sit. Filming a movie they probably did not care about it as much.

I keep seeing a mention of decals and colors of the eye pieces and some are flash resistant etc. It seems that type of item can be purchased out of the for sale/group buy section. Is that my best bet or do some of the helmets come as 'complete'? Armor as well?

If I do go with FX Lite or similar I have more necessary pieces. Gloves, undersuit, padding etc. What is a complete list and where is the best place to source those types of items. I see some older threads in the for sale section that have random items but it is hard to follow which is newest and who, if anyone, is still 'in business' selling their neck piece :)

That is it for now. I want to start sourcing and getting it all here at my house so I can begin!

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

I'm new too, but I'll try to be helpful with the knowledge I have. Anyone, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

FX armor is generally slightly larger, specifically the helmet. As it was fan sculpted, it might not be 100% accurate, but from an overall perspective it suits the "that's definitely a stormtrooper" needs if not more. I've read that RT might even be slightly bigger than FX.

I believe FX lite is sold without the helmet (body armor only) where as the Full FX has everything including the helmet.

<a href="http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?show...#092;&st=80" target="_blank">http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?show...#092;&st=80</a>

In terms of helmets, they usually come as one size fits all, and it's up to you to install foam padding or an inner helmet harness (from a hardhat or military like helmet) so that it fits your head.

There's a variety of fan kits available, but you can also head to most electronics stores and buy small fans made to cool down PC computers or electronic parts, where you can just easily wire them to a battery or switch. I've done some research and the prices have a huge range for pre-made kits, so surf around first.

Green flat eye lenses are usually used for stunt helmets, dark grey bubble lenses for hero based helmets. Depends on what you like. A lot of the armor makers make complete kits that come with everything (decals, etc..) and others require you to get them separately, or some choose to upgrade. For example, some come with black cheek decals and others blue (to match the film) so that's up to you.

On top of an armor kits, assuming it doesn't come with everything, you'll need industrial velcro for closing openings, webbing to suspend / hold the armor together, rivets, snaps, screws for the helmet, some foam for shims, and a few other odds and ends.

It's likely you'll need a belt to mount the belt parts / thermal detonator on. A holster if your kit doesn't come with one, a black under suit, black gloves (rubber or Nomex), neck seal if you want one, and approved boots. I think there's only 2-3 companies making boots that are "approved" for use, like Caboots, etc..

Best advice to give you is to just look around explore the site, check out what people are working on, what looks good to you and figure out what you want. Also, take into account and skills you might have (good with power tools, model building experience, plastic fabrication, etc.)

FX suits, helmet included, are still accepted within the Legion. However, the helmet is on it's way out. There are many other options available for price and larger sized melons :)

Any suit can be made to fit you. However, bear in mind that the suits that are closer to what was on screen were originally designed for someone around 5-10" and 180lbs. That's not to say that you can't wear it, it just means that you might require some shimming and adjusting. However, FX and RT tend work better for larger troopers.

Every kit comes with just the plastic hard pieces (the full FX kit comes with strapping and velcro, but it's utterly useless). Hitting up your local fabric shop, craft store, Wal-Mart, etc. will get you a lot of your supplies. A lot of the items you need can be found here, either thru direct sellers, links, or just general info.

I believe a DLT-19 is an accepted Stormtrooper weapon, because we do some troopers on the death star carrying them.

Terry has it right. The RT-Mod suit is bigger (circumference of pieces) than the FX and FX-lite is the way to go if you want to source your own helmet since the FX is not accurate. The FX would fit you, but that's not to say that other makers would not. It's more about how you build it to fir you than what kit you buy. Most of the helmets out there are around the same size, AP, TE/2, ATA, and depending on your head size you may or may not be able to fit fans and all that in the helmet. Some people use welding shield for the lenses in their helmets and some use a sheet of green plastic which is movie-accurate. Some vendors will even sell completed helmets, most people buy a kit and assemble it themselves because assembled lids are expensive. I think Nomex flight gloves are the primary gloves used and Smitty sells those here, they can also be sourced from any military surplus place. Underarmour is popular for the body suit, though you can use a dance-suit, or off-brand stuff. For blasters you can get resin or rubber prop weapons, or buy a Hasbro E-11 and a conversion kit that has the resin parts needed to make the blaster look right. The gun pictured is for Sandtroopers, but the DLT (I think is the right name) can be carried by TKs. In terms of custom-fab, the kit is straightforward to assemble, and you can hang it off your person any way you like. There is a generally accepted way though which involves suspenders to support the ab/kidney plates as well as the shoulders and biceps. Troopermaster devised that setup I believe. The answers to all your questions can be answered in more depth by searching on specific topics, but don't hesitate to ask questions if you have them. Welcome to FISD.

Thanks guys for the quick replies(and extended details) I really appreciate it!

I have also dispatched some emails and contacts to the 'locals' to see if something can be worked out to kind of look and feel what is actually available so I can get to work on assembling everything I need.

I am pretty good with my hands and tools. I used to work on cars for a living and can do stuff around the house and put together my own computers so the assembling and wiring and such should be no problem.

I see a lot of helmets have a built in mic and some have speakers. Are most of you guys using a mic and broadcasting through speakers or is that on a radio for conversing together? IE I saw the bday party thread and in that case it seems a speaker system would be a much better choice.

Still reading and searching the forum. Trying to find some full build threads which should be exceptionally helpful. Since I am a photographer by hobby I will make sure to have a large and detailed build thread.

To those that posted answers to my questions provide a link to the threads on the forum? For instance the suspender idea? Links to the 'accepted' mounts and such would be great as well.

On the blaster front it appears there is the basic 'standard issue' E-11 blaster but others appear to exist and in photos I have seen stormtroopers weilding them. If I decide to go with a DLT-19 will I not be allowed to be in the 501st? Can I have the E-11 in a leather pouch but have the DLT-19 as my primary weapon?

What weapon is this trooper holding? I can only find it listed as 'lewis gun' where I saw it posted for the pic. Is that only for sandtroopers like it is pictured in?

I troop with a DLT-19 as my primary weapon and a holstered E-11 as a secondary weapon. The CRL calls for an E-11, besides the BFGs can get a bit unwieldy in dense crowds.

For accuracy purposes, the T21 Lewis gun is considered a sandtrooper weapon, the exception being a Heavy Weapons Trooper (HWT) from the Expanded Universe.

Great photos, by the way. Looking forward to seeing lots more. :)

The FX lite with a more accurate helmet or RT Mod for you body type could be a way to go, but with enough work you could make any armor type work.

The search button is your friend. Like it has been mention earlier there is a lot of information and answers to questions here in the forum. The best thing to do is to get in and read, read, read. A good place to start is in Armor and Helmets - General Discussion

Just kept looking around and asking questions.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I've seen FX fitted to guys 1/3 your size and TE armor looking good on guys bigger than you. It's not the kit, it's what you do with it :) It's a pretty personal decision - ask 10 people and you'll get 10 answers.

Most of it is personal preference really, in the end.

I have 3 weapons in my arsenal, the DLT-19, E-11 and SE-14R. I use different blasters for different events, to suit my mood and some times which ever takes my fancy..

Armour is a very personal thing, have a read and ask any and as many qeustions as you like before you buy, read thrice and spend once :)