Painting question

INDY

I have never really painted much before. I bough some Rustoleum Plastic primer and the Rustoleum proffesional emamel White Gloss. The one is the silver can.

I started with a piece of the armor. The chest piece

I primed it, then I dry sanded down any of little bubbles, there wasn't much.

After a few hours I put a 1 coat of the paint on it.

It doesn't appear to be very glossy. Will it get more glossy after I put more coats of paint on or is there a gloss that I need to put on afterwards.

Am I doing something wrong?

Any help will be very much appreciated?

Hey, Dave-- the general consensus on the Rustoleum high-gloss is that you need 3 coats of it to get that nice, shiny finish.

Do a search for "TK-4510". Mike has done some excellent tutorials that include a lot of invaluable tips about using that particular brand of paint.

I'll be using him as a reference quite a bit, as I'm new to painting as well.

You want to wait 24 hours between primer and paint. When you paint you lay 3 coats and wait 5 minutes between coats. Now that you have 1 coat of paint down, wait 5 days before painting again or else it won't turn out well.

Dont mean to derail or highjack....

but it concers painting.... :)

I searched high and low in country and we dont have spraypaint primer!!!!!!!!! there is primer for wood and automotive paint.....

i did find some thermoacrilic paint that works really well with plastics, but its not plastic primer,i was wondering about using this as primer. Fine dry and wet sanding first then this paint to act as a primer??? and then use the white gloss paint???

Thanks for the feedback. So it sounds like at this point I am still O.K. I put the 1st coat on last Saturday, I was planning on putting the 2nd coat on today, but it's raining out today off and on. Maybe Sunday will be a nicer day.

Dave,

I'd definitely wait a good week or so before putting on another coat of the Professional Enamel. If you don't folllow the directions to the letter -- i.e. three coats about five minutes apart -- you risk the whole thing turning into an orange peel mess. One way to mitigate the risk of that is to wait a full week or two so that first coat is fully cured.

You also have to make certain you are maintaining the right distance from the piece. The Rusto Pro stuff is temperamental to say the least. Took me two attempts on a TE2 helmet before I got it right, and even then there are a couple of places on the back that were not as glossy as I'd liked.

Another thought is to go with a different paint. I think Mike just posted recently that he was experimenting with another Gloss White and had great results. Search through "TK-4510" for his posts from the past couple of weeks and see if you can find which brand.

Is this the TE suit you are repainting?

Hey Chris, This is a different set of armor, That I bought from a person because it had some yellowing on it. I bought the set cheap because I was intending to make a sand trooper out of it. Then I came accross a finished set of TM armor that was already made into a sand trooper, As you know I bought that set. The person that sold it to me says it is TE2 armor but I think it's a recast because this armor has yellowed pretty good in some places and I have never seen that happen so bad before to set of armor. It's either that or this guys did not take good care of it at all. So I decided to pracitce some painting on this set. After I paint it I'll probably keep it. You can never have too many sets of armor! :D I want to buy a new set of TM armor, but I want to practice first on painting. I have zero experience on painting.