Any chance of separating pieces after using PVC glue?

Long story short...buddy used PVC pipe glue to attatch Fx straps to the chest and back pieces. Any chance to separate the straps from the chest/back without too much damage? Planning on getting new replacement straps - it's the chest/back pieces that we're afraid of ruining.

Any and all tips appreciated!

Michelle

TKEastbay

Long story short...buddy used PVC pipe glue to attatch Fx straps to the chest and back pieces. Any chance to separate the straps from the chest/back without too much damage? Planning on getting new replacement straps - it's the chest/back pieces that we're afraid of ruining.

Any and all tips appreciated!

Michelle

TKEastbay

ehehe well quick search on websites the chances are slim with the attachment detaching >.>

"The so called, "cement" or "glue" used to join PVC pipe is neither cement or glue. It is a solvent that briefly liquifies the surface of the pipe and fitting being joined so that the two pieces are actually welded together. You can not "unglue" them."

not sure about if the ASB would help in the matter <.< i had a strap on the side of the chest piece to the back and well didnt seem like i glued enough and brute force kinda accidentally pulled em off (when i tried to put on the chest armor that is)

The only way to separate ABS glued with plumbing cement is to cut it apart. If PVC glue was used and not the ABS or multi-purpose cement you may be able to freeze it tp pop it loose as PVC is quire different from ABS.

Another good trick is to use a piece of upholstery thread and use it as a "saw" between the parts. Sure beats trying to rip the parts off.

Another good trick is to use a piece of upholstery thread and use it as a "saw" between the parts. Sure beats trying to rip the parts off.

Where can you find upholstery thread - fabric store or specialty furniture store?

Thanks for all these tips ;)

Michelle

TKEastbay

Great thread! I am fitting some used armor to my nephew and ran into the same problem. Only, I need to break apart 2 part epoxy (loctite). Any tips on removing epoxy? I like the upolstery thread idea but need to know where to get it....

One method is to use a universal solvent such as chloroform (available to businesses from chemists) to melt the join. Paint it on into the seam and capillary action will draw it into the join. Ease apart carefully and repeat until the pieces are separated.

Intresting.... i used PVC glue on some ABS after my abs glue ran out and the PVC really didnt do a good job at keeping the abs plastic together. i thought that there was a difference in abs glue Vs PVC glue.

Intresting.... i used PVC glue on some ABS after my abs glue ran out and the PVC really didnt do a good job at keeping the abs plastic together. i thought that there was a difference in abs glue Vs PVC glue.

yeah i mean they sell both kinds so i dont think it chemically bonds with asb plastic as well as pvc does *shrugs*

Well...I tired the upholstery thread - it sorta worked, just enough to get the ends off. But, I ended up using a blade to pry off the straps :o I need to do alot of shortening of the straps and chest piece anyway, so the mini chunks of ABS that came off was not going to be a problem- Lol! I ended up finding a pair of new straps just in time to be sent and attached before Comic Con.

Whew!

Michelle

TKEastbay