Taking a seat in HIPS

Hi guys,

As I sit here, calmly waiting for my armor components, and other bits to arive, I've been constantly reading all the build threads, and gathering construction ideas, I thought of another question. Anyone who has armor cast from HIPS, I was wondering how flexable it is. and also, do you guys ever sit down with your armor on? I know it's not exactly the most comfortable thing to be wearing, and it seems to me that the butt plate would cut into your thighs in the back. Also I'd be worried about it breaking. Just wondering. Not that I'm planning on napping in my armor, but was wondering if you guys pretty much stand all the time while in costume.

Also, side note: Thank you again for everyone who's answered all my questions, you guys have already saved me hundreds of dollars in mistake purchases, and since I'm on a budget, I'm only going to get one shot at getting this right. So, thank you all very much for you guidance, I look forward to being a full fledged 501st member, and getting out there in the community to do some good in the Emperor's name :)

I can guarantee you that if you need to sit, you will find a way to sit. :)

I've sat pretty easily in ABS armor w/o any issue. Then again, I had an ABS close butt plate crack on me though the mold is different. I think my worry would not be cracking (you could always reinforce the area with aluminum tap pretty easily, it would be the gouges. Being softer than ABS it may take on more scrapes if you're sitting on something like a concrete bench or stone steps. Since it's hips though - a little bondo and a little paint and you'd be back in business at least :)

Guest DavetheDane
You cannot bend the gloss HIPS like that here in the UK. It is much more rigid and would definately crack if you flexed it that much. I guess the materials differ slightly from country to country.

Well you may be right here TM, but the picture is of regular high gloss HIPS 1.5 mm from a provider in UK... It is extremely flexible.. The regular HIPS I have seen is way more rigid.. Besides I am quite sure the paint would chip of if you did this to spraypainted HIPS... furthermore I think the leg and arm pieces would loose its flex when strips are glued using e.g. E6000...