How to Join the 501st Imperial Legion?

For the longest time it's been an idle fantasy of mine to get involved in the process of putting together my very own suite of quality stormtrooper armor. Recently (most notably with the approach of GenCon Indy) this idle fantasy has become more concrete for me. Now I know there is information out there, and I have looked but I have little to no experience in any sort of costuming let alone the more challenging process of building and/or acquiring stormtrooper armor and was wondering if I could prevail upon the knowledgible members of this community to help me begin this process.

Overall I guess what i'm asking is if you have any advice how a beginner who doesn't have a very large bank account to break could start on the road to becoming a certified 501st Legion member. I am afraid to say that I'm completley flabbergasted when it comes to what the particular difference is between say a FX kit or TE2 kit, or an AP kit (really these are just abbreviations that i've picked up on the forum and places like Ebay, I don't actually know what i'm talking about.

For a beginner who doesn't have a lot of green to burn, what would be a good start? Is their an easy way? Is their a harder but cheaper way? Should I built it myself with a vacuuform machine (sp) I guess what i'm trying to say is that i'm willing to learn, but i've spent so long thinking about it by myself that I don't think i'm ever going to do it unless I get some motivation from people who've actually accomplished the dream! :D

Welcome. Your in the right spot.

First contact FBJ, (firebladejedi) he is the det armor expert.

Then start looking around the forums on information, pictures and builds from members blazing your new found trail.

Then decide on budget, skill and time.

In time you will tell the difference between them all. Welcome to the obsession. ;)

Remember... The golden rule of props.

1. Cheap (I use this term loosely)

2. Accurate

3. Fast

You will only be able to achieve two outta three. (at least for now) Never all at once. Its like a Tattoo. Cheap ones are not good, and good ones are not cheap. Its not just the armor, money gets poured in with accessory and build supplies.

Next contact your local garrison. Good stop as well.

Then its suiting up, and getting active. Nothing feels like a great costume in public. Shock and Awe. Rock on man. Welcome.

Great! Thanks for the reply. Well with skill I have none, but I feel that I can follow directions and i'm relatively sure that i'm not a moron so I would hope that I could learn to do what is needed. Time? Well I have plenty of time that I don't use constructively now so i'm sure I can make do. Money is my only issue, which could throw a major wrench in my dreams but heck i'm trying to keep involved in the process and not dwell to much on what I can or cannot afford!

Yeah I figured as much, I very much want to focus on my first armor being quality. I'm of the opinion that I would like to do it right the first time so I don't have to obsesse over having armor that does not satisfy me in regards to quality.

now i'm not totally familier with the type of kits out there, and while this doesn't seem at all cheap to me is the SDS 2005 armor a quality set of armor? Is it sort of an expensive but easy method of attaining trooping quality armor?

Hi Graydon!

Well, I'm sorry to say, but, even in the case that you can get a bargain, this is not a cheap hobby.

Also, you'll need a lot of patience.

Some quick thought that come to my mind:

The easiest and cheapest way to join the 501st is by wearing an Imperial Trooper uniform --------

You can get one from FleaBay, or better yet, join the Imperial Officer Corps Detachment and they will gladly help you get (or make) one.

By rule: the more plastic the suit has, the more expensive. For example, a Biker Scout (TB) is cheaper than a stormtrooper (TK) and a Sandtrooper (TD) is more expensive than a regular Stormtrooper. It's not a strict rule, but it's handy to get an idea.

Two big factors you need to know before getting an armor: how tall you are and how accurate you want to look. The taller you are, the more restricted to a specific armor (FX or TR-MOD). The more accurate, the more expensive it gets.

Never buy armor from FleaBay without asking on this forums first.

A complete suit is not only the armor and the helmet, you'll also need an undersuit, boots, gloves, neckseal and a blaster. You'll also need a few tools and supplies (snaps, maybe some velcro, etc.)

Maybe you'd like to start with a simpler, cheaper suit (like a Scout, a Tie Pilot or even an Imperial Officer) and, as you get more experience and save more money, you eventually get your TK (stormtrooper.)

But rest assured that you came to the right place!

You'll find lots of info and great people willing to help here. :)

Cheers.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

EEEK!

Really.. Any costume can get expensive. I had 1500 in my TB.. Just saying.. ;) A good Officer can set you back a pretty penny as well. I took a 500 dollar ding selling it. Like an used car man... What its worth in sticker its not worth in resale.

Take your time. Dig around and I am sure you can have a top notch TK for a good price. As always look at some one selling off older stuff. Be wary of Ebay. The days of high priced props are over... Things are changing.

Really, a good TK could be built for around 500-600 ish.

Armor/ Helmet

Boots

Gloves

Bodysuit

Blaster

Glue,straps and snaps.

Neckseal

Enjoy!

Actually $500 is not realistic unless you get a used suit. By the time you add it up most people spend around $1000. You can save some if you already have tools and can make some items yourself.

A cheap hobby, this is not, but it's still cheaper than golf.

I have my heart set on being a TK, I'm pushing the edge of 5' 11'' and I weigh about 170ib's. but I will most definatly keep my options open. When it comes to making stormtrooper armor don't you need to somehow get your hands on molds and some sort of molding machine for the plastic? That seems much more skill intensive. Yet perhaps possible if it's not as difficult as I imagine it would be.

Heck I know about expensive hobbies, i've played warhammer tabletop for years! The only thing is that it gets expensive over time, in increments. This seems to be a rather large cash sink all at once following by more cash in the future (which is not as difficult to manage as such large initial payments). If I could get a quality TK kit for around 600 or 700 dollars I see that as managable. Just the basics, then I can build on it from there, modify my helmet etc.

And on the topic of the kit, when I check ebay all I see up for sail typically are FX kits which I have read from around here aren't the greatest when it comes to quality and accuracy. For my height what would be the most appropriate Kit for me to consider?

On the gun, well I think I can make the gun, just needs tom pvc pipe, paint and other knick nacks I assume. I've decided that i'm not in a great deal of hurry, so I have the patience to do what is needed.

AP, TM or TE2 will fit you well. :D

And unless you want to make your own molds, it's not necessary to use a vaccuforming machine.

Any armor will fit you actually. The ANH armors will fit you best. Don't buy from Ebay. Everything you want to know is on this forum for the most part. It's definitely worth the time to do some research up front - even if we had a cheat sheet you'd still want to do your due diligence and read through the forums some as there will be many questions answered that way.

Your best first step is also to contact your local garrison. In the end it's they whom you'll be trooping with, and who will approve your application.

God what I really want is a cheat sheet, with a magic fairy to come and grant me all that I need without effort or expenditure.

Then an attractive model to suite me up, but heck we can't get everything we want can we. So where do I go about getting my hands on an AP kit. Does anyone have any advice about who I should talk to or where I should go to get a hold of such a kit? So I can start shopping?

God what I really want is a cheat sheet, with a magic fairy to come and grant me all that I need without effort or expenditure.

we're working on it...

TK-Recruit said:
Does anyone have any advice about who I should talk to or where I should go to get a hold of such a kit? So I can start shopping?

PM sent.

Also, check the For Sale or Trade forum. From time to time an AP kit is available there.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed