Speaker Placement in Helmet. MRCE Mod

Hello all,

My MRCE will be arriving tomorrow (finally I can start my transformation into a TK).

I have the speaker setup that I am thinking about trying out, Using one 2" Speaker in the middle and two 1.5" X 1" speakers on the side, all connected up to the Radioshack Voice Amplifier with the Non Powered Mic Mod

I am considering the possibilities of how this can work either by placing this in some sort of enclosure behind the Teeth, or maybe even using a dremel to cut very thin holes between the lines in the vocoder, painting the fresh cut plastic black and putting black mesh behind it to hide it.

I like the speaker that came with the Radioshack Voice Amp but I would like more then just the one speaker.

I wanted to run this by others before I made a decision

ju9raDq.jpg

Yes i agree frown for air intake and the chin and aerator as speaker area, as long as u seal the speaker good and try to place the mic as far behind the speakers as u can, with u bieng able to stcik your head in the lid u should be fine.. i am intrested in seeing your take on power supply for a 3 speaker, voice amp senerio......

As it turns out, I am not willing to cut extra holes in the vocoder to ad the 3rd speaker, there is a lot less room in the helmet then I thought and I had a hard time getting rid of feedback once the voice amp was at full volume.

Yes i agree frown for air intake and the chin and aerator as speaker area, as long as u seal the speaker good and try to place the mic as far behind the speakers as u can, with u bieng able to stcik your head in the lid u should be fine.. i am intrested in seeing your take on power supply for a 3 speaker, voice amp senerio......

The RadioShack voice amp seemed to power all three speakers without a problem.

At this point I have the two 1.5" speakers mounted behind the hovi mic tips covered by aerosol caps, everything works except once I put the the volume all the way up, I do get a bit of feedback when I speak.

Hey Steven, I just noticed that you are in SLC, I live in Orem. Have you joined the AlpineGarrison.com boards yet? You and I are in the same garrison. I just got my MRCE a few days ago and after trying it on, I'm more concerned with getting a fan in there and proper air circulation! A speaker system is kind of an afterthought.

Hey Steven, I just noticed that you are in SLC, I live in Orem. Have you joined the AlpineGarrison.com boards yet? You and I are in the same garrison. I just got my MRCE a few days ago and after trying it on, I'm more concerned with getting a fan in there and proper air circulation! A speaker system is kind of an afterthought.

I have joined the Alpine Garrison actually! My username there is also nothingrecorded. :D

I have been working on my speaker system on my MRCE first and I am actually going to attempt to tackle the cooling for it later tonight. I am going to see if using Laptop CPU fans from Dell Laptops will work. I will post pictures of my progress so keep up on this thread if you want to see if it works, if I do get it working maybe I can help you out.

I may have to go the mini PC fans direction if this doesn't work.

Also, are you going to the Armor party in Logan UT on the 20th for the Alpine Garrison?

P.S. My best friend lives in Orem so I am out there often.

Alright, after trying a few things like a 3 speaker setup and using Aerosol caps to mount the speakers but still getting feedback at full volume or when I speak I have discovered a resolution by accident on my way out from my local grocer.

I used the little plastics bubble things that toys from the 50 cent machines at the entrance to the grocery store come in haha, they work GREAT and I have no feed back issues at all at full volume!

Everything is put together using velcro.

Forgive the blur, I used my cell phone.

JygCag2.jpg

JziMUR5.jpg

adZyPQS.jpg

I don't even have to put my head in sideways to fit lolz

I am actually going to attempt to tackle the cooling for it later tonight. I am going to see if using Laptop CPU fans from Dell Laptops will work. I may have to go the mini PC fans direction if this doesn't work.

As for the fans, one great idea is to place little tiny stilts (sp??) 1/2 cm or less then a 1/4 of a inche on all four corners this way u get air flow to go under the fans and then the air gets pushed. one over thing is to place small slanted vents over the fan to push air in one direcion. Get 2 or more fans with this and u can make air actually circulate in the helmet. remember to use fans with 8 omhs or less if not the noise is hear out side of the helmet.

I have joined the Alpine Garrison actually! My username there is also nothingrecorded. :D

I have been working on my speaker system on my MRCE first and I am actually going to attempt to tackle the cooling for it later tonight. I am going to see if using Laptop CPU fans from Dell Laptops will work. I will post pictures of my progress so keep up on this thread if you want to see if it works, if I do get it working maybe I can help you out.

I may have to go the mini PC fans direction if this doesn't work.

Also, are you going to the Armor party in Logan UT on the 20th for the Alpine Garrison?

P.S. My best friend lives in Orem so I am out there often.

I'm not going to the armor party in Logan since it is pretty far away and I'm not very close to getting my armor yet (Mid-August would be the soonest). You should go to the garrison event this Saturday at Wheeler Farms and you'll be able to see your first Stormtrooper in person!

The speaker system is mostly done except adding sound proofing around the mic to cut out feedback.

So following the wiring diagram from Degobah Swamp

http://www.dagobahswamp.com/projects/stormtrooper/helmet.asp

And I rigged up my fans using 4 2xAA battery packs that use the same 9v battery connectors so they are interchangable : )

After trying several locations in my bucket I found that putting the fans behind the teeth really do seem to work the best.

I picked up two brushless fans, they are only test fitted now but they will be mounted soon.

One of the 9v batteries is for my voice amp and the second one is just a spare for when that one dies.

BI1vrQg.jpg

mLHpXX0.jpg

aaFXqfi.jpg

Are you still using the original black cloth behind the teeth that the helmet came with? If so, rip that stuff out and put in some window screen material, you'll get a ton more air coming into the helmet! You'll also need to swap out the lenses as well, get them from Smitty here on the boards, best deal around! How much heavier is that helmet with all of those batteries in it?

lol looks we think alike...... my inside looks the same

kfWKleK.jpg

G2UHn9W.jpg

AOY5BTX.jpg

Sorry didnt mean to high jack your thread.......

lol looks we think alike...... my inside looks the same

Sorry didnt mean to high jack your thread.......

Nice!

What kind of mic is that! It looks like it might be doing a better job then mine.

I have to have my mic pressed up against my lips before I feel like it is effective.

Even though I generally have the interal parts set, it feels in complete (not quite good enough).

Nice!

What kind of mic is that! Even though I generally have the interal parts set, it feels in complete (not quite good enough).

its the cheapest $$ mic i found in radio shack..... 4-6 bucks, what i did was let other ppl wear my helmet and read to me.... this way i played around with volume and got to hear what it sounds like out side, once i was happy with the settings, i recorded my self with different equipment ( tape recorded,computer,camcorder ) and read out loud the same book to get audio feedback on what i sound like........

Lol i am enjoying helping u out!!!!!!

its the cheapest $$ mic i found in radio shack..... 4-6 bucks, what i did was let other ppl wear my helmet and read to me.... this way i played around with volume and got to hear what it sounds like out side, once i was happy with the settings, i recorded my self with different equipment ( tape recorded,computer,camcorder ) and read out loud the same book to get audio feedback on what i sound like........

Lol i am enjoying helping u out!!!!!!

Nice, I bought a stand alone PC Mic and tore it apart but I am not happy with it.

The mic seems to only pic up enough volume for it to sound ok if the mic is practically touching my teeth haha.

Other then that I moved my fans up to where you have yours and it seems to be working better then where I had them before, so thank you for the help :D