Question regarding gluing thighs/shins/forearms

I want to ask those who troop a lot in their armor a question as my garrison did over 50 troops last year, so they are pretty active. (This is regarding FX armor) Two other TK's I have seen have their thighs, shins and forearms velcro'd on both sides. I like the look of those parts glued in the front as it makes them look nicer but I am worried about stress on the parts. Will the glue hold up to parts being opened up over and over???

I am probably being dumb but better to ask now and be sure before I start applying the glue.

E6000, mate. It cures rubbery and flexible. :)

Ahh thanks, I used the abs glue for the snap system and the bucket and it seems to be a nice bond but I was unsure of it's flexibility. Looks like I will pick up some E6000.

FWIW, I used ABS glue exclusively on my FX kit and it worked out just fine. After a few years of abuse there were a few places on the shins that I had to re-do, but that was about it. I think either way you'll be fine.

No, use the ABS glue instead of velcro. Most folks glue the fronts of the shins, thighs and forearms, and both sides of the biceps. Some glue the backs of the thighs as well (this is really preferred), and others glue both sides of the forearms. It's an individual choice really. On a perfectly dialed in suit, theoretically the only velcro anywhere would be the backs of the shins, and I supposed someone could figure out how to do that magnetically too.

Thanks deatrin, this will help me out SO much. as of right now almost all my stuff is velcroed. I ordered some of that E6000 so when that gets to me I'll be takin off that velcro!

Yeah go for it, glue everything except shins back. Tape the top of those from the inside and put a little strip of velcro on the bottom.

Tape and measure twice, try everything on a lot of times, trim in litlle increments and try everything on again :)

That being the case, how did the actors & stuntmen get the shins on? Did they simply leave them open in the back, like the trooper in the opening scenes of the Tantive IV raid? If not, how do you keep them closed?

There is no way I could push my size 12 feet through the shins if I glued them front and back. Mine are glued in the front and velcroed in the back, and even then I'm really straining the bond to open them wide enough to get them on.

Everything else is glued both sides, so I guess I'm doing pretty good getting my suit dialed in.

I agree on the velcro on the shins. even a skinny guy like myself have a hardtime putting on the shins without parting the back. I also realized I MUST adhere the thighs, because the back keep un-velcroing. my E6000 can't get here soon enough

There is no way I could push my size 12 feet through the shins if I glued them front and back. Mine are glued in the front and velcroed in the back, and even then I'm really straining the bond to open them wide enough to get them on.

Just glue the fronts, not the backs, they should be shut on their own if assembled correctly.

You don't need to open up the shins to put them on. Simply slide your foot through them and then put on your boots afterwards. When removing the shins, take off your boots first and gently pull open the shin slightly at the ankle area and slide your foot out. No need open them right up and off your leg.

This is if you want to try and keep your kit looking as close to a screen used stormtrooper, otherwise just velcro wherever you think you need it :)

On a screen accurate suit, the only velcro would be on the back of the canvas belt ;)

E6000 is best adhesive to use.....period!

To the other Paul, one should listen. :)

Good stuff to know in here. While I want my suit to look pretty accurate, my biggest concern is trooping, I don't want to break stuff but I do want it to look nice. I will glue one side of the shins, thighs and forearms and velcro the backs for now as the other problem I have is I am still losing weight. I am currently down to 225 and am looking to get back to 200lbs. so if I velcro I can still have some adjustment and if I choose to glue the backs of the thighs later, I can just remove the velcro.

Thanks for everyone's input.

I want to ask those who troop a lot in their armor a question as my garrison did over 50 troops last year, so they are pretty active. (This is regarding FX armor) Two other TK's I have seen have their thighs, shins and forearms velcro'd on both sides. I like the look of those parts glued in the front as it makes them look nicer but I am worried about stress on the parts. Will the glue hold up to parts being opened up over and over???

I am probably being dumb but better to ask now and be sure before I start applying the glue.

I am in process of putting together my first set of FX armor. I decided to use industrial velcro for my shin pieces. While I don't have large feet, I found that I cannot slide the shin pieces on and off as some people can, so I decided to use velcro for both the back & front seams. So far, works great. I do plan to glue the bicep pieces and thigh pieces. I'm still deciding whether to use glue, velcro or a combination on the forearms.

I am in process of putting together my first set of FX armor. I decided to use industrial velcro for my shin pieces. While I don't have large feet, I found that I cannot slide the shin pieces on and off as some people can, so I decided to use velcro for both the back & front seams. So far, works great. I do plan to glue the bicep pieces and thigh pieces. I'm still deciding whether to use glue, velcro or a combination on the forearms.

I glued the "top" of the forearm, what people will see, and I velcro'd the bottom joint, that faces the ground when your arms are extended. This is from the "Dave's Garage" tutorials on YouTube. Definitely check them out if you haven't already.

I glued the "top" of the forearm, what people will see, and I velcro'd the bottom joint, that faces the ground when your arms are extended. This is from the "Dave's Garage" tutorials on YouTube. Definitely check them out if you haven't already.

That is what I'm thinking about doing. Has that worked out well for you?

That is what I am leaning toward as well. I want to glue the top of the forearms, front of the shins and thighs, since these are most visible to others. I have seen it done velcro on both sides and I like the glued look better, much tighter where the plastic is together.

That is what I'm thinking about doing. Has that worked out well for you?

Well if I had trooped in it/finished the rest of my armor I'd tell you, but I haven't :P. I could slide my arm into the forearm piece but I have big hands and couldn't slide my arm back out, so velcroing at least one side was my only option. I didn't want to shim it just to be able to glue both sides.

That is what I am leaning toward as well. I want to glue the top of the forearms, front of the shins and thighs, since these are most visible to others. I have seen it done velcro on both sides and I like the glued look better, much tighter where the plastic is together.

I agree that gluing looks better. When it comes to the shins, I decided on the industrial Velcro on both seams so that I won't have any problems with flexing the pieces to get them on & off. I can slide the forearms on & off (from what I can tell by holding them together), but it's harder to slide them off than on. A friend of mine is redoing part of his armor and replacing the Velcro that he used on the forearms with glue. The disadvantage with gluing the forearms is that you can't keep the hand plates on the gloves: the forearms won't slide over them. Right now, I'm leaning towards gluing at least one side of the forearms (the top), then use industrial Velcro on the bottom seam. I'm gluing the biceps on both seams and plan to do the same with the thighs. What I'm not yet sure about is how much I will need to trim the thighs.

Well if I had trooped in it/finished the rest of my armor I'd tell you, but I haven't :P. I could slide my arm into the forearm piece but I have big hands and couldn't slide my arm back out, so velcroing at least one side was my only option. I didn't want to shim it just to be able to glue both sides.

I wouldn't want to try using shims on mine either.