PGHtrooper21's First AP build[*AP]

Next up I got out my “Black Elastic†to make “Helmet Strapsâ€. To do this step, I have a Revolving Hole Punch, a Yellow pencil, Scissors, my cutting mat, measuring tape, “Drits, 5/32 Eyeletsâ€, a Hammer, “Drits Nickel, 15/32, Mini Anorak Snaps, The Drits Mini Anorak Snap tool for the Snaps.

I got the “Black Elastic†and “Measuring Tape. And took out the bolts and washers and placed the measuring tape next to the top two screw posts and tried to get a good measuring and marked it on the “Black Elastic†with the Yellow Pencil and marked the “Elastic†trying to judge the center with a dot. Then using the “Revolving Hole Punchâ€, I punched out the two holes. Then I placed two metal eyelets in the holes. I read the directions to how to use the “eyelet tools. I never did this before. I went down to my cellar and placed the round bottom part on the ground. Put one of the eyelets on top and put the other tool on top and center it, while lowering my two fingers so I won’t hit them. I then use the hammer to tap down a couple of times to flatten the “eyelet†into place. I then did the same for the other “eyeletâ€.

I did this the same for the other side with one difference. I placed the “Black Elastic†on top of the screws and used the ‘Yellow Pencil†to trace the outline of the screw and used that as my guide to punch the hole.

097-1.jpg

098-1.jpg

099-1.jpg

100-1.jpg

101-1.jpg

102-1.jpg

103-1.jpg

104.jpg

105.jpg

106.jpg

107.jpg

108.jpg

109.jpg

110.jpg

111.jpg

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next up, is putting on the snaps. For this I would like to thank Karin “Queen of The Hand guards on FISD for the size of the straps. I tried to measure with the helmet on and I was not confident with my measurements. So I would like to say a ‘THANK YOU†to Karin again.

When doing this step, I put the snaps on the cutting mat to line them up with each other. I again read the back of the snaps to see which snap goes with each other. Them I opened up the Snap Tool I read the back a few times to understand what needs to be done. I then put each of the tools in the proper part of the tool for use. Then I started to work on the longer side with the two snaps. I folded the one side over to where I could fit, center and space two snaps. I used a tape measure to space the distance between them and to center them. The reason why I did this is to make sure that the snaps connect snug.

I then used the Yellow Pencil to mark where I want to punch the holes. I put an extra piece of “Black Elastic†between the fold. I made sure to mark the end of the fold with the Yellow Pencil and to line up the pieces evenly and secure it with a “Black Paper Clipâ€. I adjusted the “Revolving Hole Punch†for the right setting and squeezed and punched out two holes.

Then I placed the snaps where they need to be placed I then I placed the snaps in the “Elastic†and placed the “Snap Tool†on the snaps and hold it in place, and took it down to my cellar and got my hammer and tapped a few times to secure the snap. Also, on the same side I put on an extra “eyelet†for support.

011-7.jpg

012-7.jpg

013-6.jpg

Now on to finish up the other strap; I basically did the same thing as for the first strap. The difference is to put the other tool parts on the snapping tool. I then folded over the end part of the “elastic†and then marked the edge with the Yellow Pencil. Then I measured, spaced and marked the snap with the Yellow Pencil. I also used another snap as a guide for centering the mark. I did not put a piece of elastic on this side as on the other strap. I measured and it did not need one. I used the “Revolving Punch Tool†and squeezed and punch a hole into the “elastic. I then I placed the snaps in the “Elastic†and placed the “Snap Tool†on the snaps and hold it in place, and took it down to my cellar and got my hammer and tapped a few times to secure the snap. The trick of this and the previous part is to hold the “Snap Tool†securely while not trying to hit your fingers!

I found out when tapping the snaps you can tell when the snap is secure by the sound the tool makes and the feel of the hammer on the “Snap Toolâ€.

059-3.jpg

060-3.jpg

061-3.jpg

062-3.jpg

063-3.jpg

064-3.jpg

065-3.jpg

066-3.jpg

067-2.jpg

068-2.jpg

I picked up†Prym Creative Liquid Seam Sealant†from ‘Wal Mart. I did this to prevent the ends of the “Elastic†from fraying. I read the instructions and it said to get a pin and poke a hole at the tip of the bottle and put the sealant on the edge of the fabric and let sit for 15 minutes. I put the sealant on both sides of the end of the “Elastic†and the tip as well. Make sure you put the “elastic†to dry on a piece of paper or cardboard with the edges up so it could dry. When putting on the sealant, doing it helps to be outside or in a well-ventilated area so to keep the fumes at bay.

110-1.jpg

111-1.jpg

112-1.jpg

After letting the ears dry, I begin the outlining of the “Ear Bumpsâ€. I used a “No. Liner Brush†for this. I dipped the brush into the Gloss Black Paint and wiped off the excessive paint and went to it. I made sure to secure my Helmet in my lap and started with the sides going very carefully along the edge of the “Grey Paint†and the “Pencil Lineâ€. I did this for both sides.

084-2.jpg

085-2.jpg

086-3.jpg

087-2.jpg

088-2.jpg

089-2.jpg

090-2.jpg

091-2.jpg

092-2.jpg

093-2.jpg

Thanks again to all who were helpng me with my pics problem! Now I am ok! All the time I spent the last few months working on this Helmet, taking pictures uploading them to photobucket and writing my journal and pasting them here, and run into the problem that I had was frustrating. Seeing them all posted makes me feel alot better!

Thanks to all on FISD!!!! TROOPERS HELPING OTHER TROOPERS!!!!!

Andy

Next up, I wanted to hold my brow in place. I used some “Blue Painters Tape” to hold it in place while I disassemble my Helmet. When I had the Helmet disassembled I got some “Duct Tape” and put some tape on the inside of the brow to give more hold. I then reassembled the Helmet.

003-9.jpg

006-10.jpg

004-8.jpg

005-10.jpg

Edited by ZeroRoom

Next up, I wanted to hold my brow in place. I used some “Blue Painters Tape†to hold it in place while I disassemble my Helmet. When I had the Helmet disassembled I got some “Duct Tape†and put some tape on the inside of the brow to give more hold. I then reassembled the Helmet.

003-9.jpg

006-10.jpg

004-8.jpg

005-10.jpg