Canvas supplier

Has anyone tries tarp canvas for their belts? I found a place that has "natural" color in 3 weights (10, 12 ,17 ounce).

-----------

Anyone know what weight was used in the movies, or which one is best for trooping?

Thanks

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

If you can buy normal canvas i would be inclined to use that, unless you really need a water and fire proof belt? Mind you those trash compactors in the death star dont look too inviting :rolleyes:

I made my belt using two layers of elastic covering both sides with heavy duty canvas and it weights in alone at 300 grams or 10.5 oz. Although its light weight it is still fairly strong and durable, perfect for trooping ;)

Have you tried your local house paint supplier or hardware store ? Profesional house painters use canvas drop sheets to protect your carpet and furniture and stuff . You can pick up a 12' x5' , medium weight , natural colour canvas drop sheet for about $15 AU ( what's that , about $10 US?) here in Oz . More than big enough to make a heap of belts :)

I found another couple possible sources:

--------------

Each company carries lighter weight material, I just posted the link for the heaviest they carry. Let me know what you think

Edited by gmrhodes13

• 2 weeks later...
troopermaster said:
They both look good but I might try the second one, they ship internationally :)

Just a heads up, the second one is only on a 26 inch bolt, but if you go with a lighter weight thats heavier than dickblick you can get 60 inches. The first one is on a 72 inch bolt.

EDIT:

I eneded up ordering this one, it's the same weight as the extra extra heavy from DickBlick:

------------

If you order is under $10 you can get $2 econo shipping. If I went with one a little heavier it would have cost $9.50 to ship it.

Dick Blick is $13/yard and charges $8 to ship the exact same thing.

Edited by gmrhodes13