ANH ap Bucket

Hey guys,

I figured I'd ask here since I've had these questions from day 1 that I've built my helmet, maybe you'll be able to shed some lights on any of em!

I built my ap bucket, everyone knows we have to twist it to put it on? Right? And then I bought a construction hat to remove the liner and put it in my helmet. Just to realize that I wasn't able to do that since putting a liner in there was preventing my head to slip in properly. If I do that, I can't slip in sideways then turn it inside there. So I'm stuck with the only option to put foam in there, which I guess isn't that bad either as I read around that a lot of people loved that better than the liner.

So what did you guys actually do in your non-FX lid? I'd appreciate pix of the inside if you have any, I might take some ideas before going an buy any kind of foam out there ...

Also, has anyone of you enlarged the "head hole" and make it bigger so that you would have less difficulty to get your head in there? I noticed in the movie that Han's lid had been enlarged so much, and the poor guy needed to twist it off anyway :) Anyone had the courage to do this too?

Cheers

Also, has anyone of you enlarged the "head hole" and make it bigger so that you would have less difficulty to get your head in there? I noticed in the movie that Han's lid had been enlarged so much, and the poor guy needed to twist it off anyway :) Anyone had the courage to do this too?

Cheers

I'm gonna have to do this on mine after trying on a friends. I read that some people make a trimming guide by glueing together a quarter, 3 pennies and a razor blade. Basically the quarter goes around the inside edge, the pennies are the spacers, and the razor scores a new line that is exactly the same outline as the origional. You just have to make sure you get trim longer than "standard".

I'm gonna have to do this on mine after trying on a friends. I read that some people make a trimming guide by glueing together a quarter, 3 pennies and a razor blade. Basically the quarter goes around the inside edge, the pennies are the spacers, and the razor scores a new line that is exactly the same outline as the origional. You just have to make sure you get trim longer than "standard".

I get the trimming tool setup .. but I'm not sure about the "how it really gets bigger by just removing 3 pennies worth of spaces" on the abs. Actually, what I did here, even if that's not enough to get it much bigger is to just remove the black rubber, take a pencil and draw a line (kindof a smile - starting from one side, getting larger in the back center, and then back flush with the other side) , cut there with exacto and sand to get a good finish. Then, I put back the rubber. That gave me almost an inch more of space to get my head in .. and I can't even notice the visual difference, it's just much more spacy to fit my head. I still think about removing some more but then, the black rubber won't reach around anymore.

Notice how virgin my bucket it? Funny compared to all those crazy wired lid you guys have! :)

That 3 pennies worth of thickness all the way around increases the circumfrence about 1.5 inches, assuming my geometry is right. You can always do it more than once if you need to. It's better to take too little than too much.

Did that make enough difference? Or do you still have to put it on sideways?

I didn't use a liner but just hot-glued some foam pads - one on the top and one on each ear.

Did that make enough difference? Or do you still have to put it on sideways?

I didn't use a liner but just hot-glued some foam pads - one on the top and one on each ear.

Hey Daetrin,

Would you be so kind as to post a pic of your setup? The liner I bought was preventing me from putting the helmet on. It wouldn't let me fit my head in since I needed to fit in sideways and it would prevent my head of getting it all the way down the bottom of the bucket to be able to turn it back in line.

So I'll end up buying foam but not too sure which foam to buy yet! And I thought I had a small head .. but then again, that helmet sure is small!!!

I don't think any amount of trimming will allow you to put the helmet on straight down over your head. All movie helmets have to be put on sideways, even the hero's. It's just the way it is as the respirator part is supposed to tuck under your chin.

There is nothing wrong with foam for a liner. I use it along with an elastic chin strap the same as the originals. The ROTJ helmets had hard hat liners they can be fitted :D

J4CByTm.jpg