Chest plate/ shoulder bell comparison

I've shared this with a few folks over the last week or so and I thought I'd throw this out there for review.

I recently photoshopped myself (very shoddily, I might add) into a screencap from ANH to compare the chest and bells.

You can definitely tell the newer armor's lineage is ROTJ (or other than ANH) in this image. I've always noticed how much more "puffed out" the ANH chests were. Here you can see the differences. You can see the subtle diff's in the bells, too... Just move your eyes quickly back and forth between me and the guy next to me. The differences are many.

vrnp86V.jpg

I've always noted much more puffed-out, how much higher-up the ANH armor rides (no black area below the chin). Also notice the convex-to-concave relationship of the edge of the bells to the edge of the chest piece on the screncap. The chest actually overlaps the bells in this (and many other) screenshots. Also, the bottom arc is much more pronounced, and the sides--near the armpits--don't "flare out" in the screencap as they do on me.

There seems to be much less room between the top of the man-boobs and the neck on the originals.

It's also amazing that my chest piece rides tight up against my neck, yet I still can't lose the black area. And my bucket is tight to the top of my head. I guess I need to lose a few vertebrae.

I mean, I'm allowing for different body types and assembly, but there is still a huge difference! :trooper:

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

With regards to the chest, it looks like you could achieve something closer to that look by trimming the neck of your chest piece a little (since you say it is tight against your neck already) and sliding the chest piece up and back. Compare where the top of their shoulder "straps" meet the chest plate versus yours. The curvature at the bottom of the chest piece looks similar, but the "pecs" on the other troopers are clearly higher -- which gives them that more puffed up look.

No matter how much you trim or position your armour, it will never look like the original ANH armour. The fact is that every single part of your armour is different in shape and size compared to the originals unfortunately, so it can only resemble ANH. Plus, the assembly and the correct plastic are key factors here. I'm not knocking your suit, just stating facts.

Yep I do believe you're right, Paul. Don't get me wrong, I think our suits look fantastic. It's just that the subtle differences are even more evident on the big, prominent pieces like the chest!

Steve--my chest piece simply hangs from the shoulders like most folks =)

Chris--you may be right that significant additional trimming might mitigate the height issue. I may do that one of these days.

The chest assembly and strap lengths deffinately make the chest look puffier. I think the reason most (if not all) of the troopers have such a low flying helmet is due to the chest armour sitting up off the shoulders. I've wondered this exact thing for quite a while, and thats what Ive come up with. I don't understand why they do, but most of the ANH suit stills I've seen have the armour riding high.

I have always thought the TE/TE2 chest was shaped wrong. I think TM has the "flare" at the bottom correct. The lip on the ROTJ armor that the TE was made from was straight. So Dan must have resculpted what he thought was the right look at the time. I notice that early TE chests are very rounded at the bottom and it seems to have been redone many times.

Also the strapping for the chest was held under the chest to the rib area in SW I think so the chest kind of bobbed around.

• 5 months later...