Helmet ear angle and TD questions

Hello I just got approved as TK 91213. I’m already diving into the EIB level but before I take pictures I had a few questions. First is regarding the helmet. In mine I have the ears facing at a slightly downward angle from the top trapezoids. I was following the pinned guidance of this post: 

Here is mine:

HJe9D42.jpeg

And here are some movie references. I was wondering if my ears will be approvable. I did my best to match the movies but realized most peoples ears are more “straight”

OWvc5gj.jpeg

3AoQg6g.jpeg

UlQ529l.jpeg

Second question is if my black flat screws are too large or if I drilled holes too close to the end. They are 5mm wide (ignore the Velcro for now that’s just to keep armor from scratching while I fit the TD)

iiP6k1H.jpeg

Hoping my first TK can make it to EIB levels and maybe Centurion down the road

jaIuYWb.jpeg

Firstly congratulations trooper and welcome to the ranks :salute:

You should be fine for higher levels with your ears, note the CRL mentions "ideally" and that's for L3 Centurion but even then I've seen straighter approved: 

OPTIONAL Level three certification (if applicable):

• Ideally, placement of ears (and screws) should closely follow the rear angle of the trap above them

Personally I'd say your screws are a little large and too close to the end of the brackets, comparison below. Would also pay to check your measurements and the gap between the end caps and control panel. Ultimately it's up to our @Deployment Officer Team who should chime in soon:duim:

TD measurements.jpg

iiP6k1H.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi John,

Congratulations on joining the ranks and it is great to see you will be trying for Expert Infantry and hopefully Centurion. 

With respect to the helmet, as Glen mentioned, the Level 3 CRL states “Ideally, placement of ears (and screws) should closely follow the rear angle of the trap above them”

As this is a Level 3 (centurion) requirement, it would not affect your EIB application at all.  As the CRL states "Ideally", we do not reject applications if they are not perfectly aligned and therefore it will not affect EIB or centurion approval 

References

XDqyJQk.jpg          mx2FdKs.png  Jc14vot.jpg

For the thermal detonator, Ideally the screws should be a bit smaller and not as close to the edge of the clip as they are but I would say that it would still pass based on the CRL description.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@gmrhodes13

Ok I got two sizes of smaller screws. I feel like the ones on the left are the best especially since I cut my clips tight. The entire length is a bit small at 7” and the white part is just under 4.5” to compensate for the smaller ish TD. Hopefully this will be close enough once I paint them black

vumGSc5.jpeg

0sjwBdB.jpeg

C7ujnWJ.jpeg

Edited by JBar
  • Like 1