New to this

Hello and welcome aboard, some information for you to get you started

Welcome to FISD, Victor! 

You have found the right place for information and help to start building your own Stormtrooper armour. 

Have you thought about the type of Stormtrooper you'd like to build? There is many variations. 

• Like 1

I know I want to build stormtrooper armor from the original trilogy. I guess A New Hope to be exact. But researching I understand that there are differences from ANH to ESB to ROTJ? So I want to make it screen accurate and hopefully have it be accepted into the 501st. 

2 hours ago, Victor said:

I know I want to build stormtrooper armor from the original trilogy. I guess A New Hope to be exact. But researching I understand that there are differences from ANH to ESB to ROTJ? So I want to make it screen accurate and hopefully have it be accepted into the 501st. 

Small differences between ANH to ESB, swapping out some parts and you can get approved in both. ROTJ is a completely different helmet and armor.

This spreadsheet may help:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10tEVteIreh6AHMogW010cuH_Bf8TBfU6/view

1 hour ago, Victor said:

Why is Return of the Jedi armor different? 

The old moulds from the first film had started to collapse, hence the wonky helmet.

I believe other parts were re moulded off existing kits as opposed to the old moulds, hence integrated ab buttons and those smaller details.

The back and kidney plates were separate in ANH and ESB, yet a single piece on RotJ which points towards those parts moulded together.

Additional edge trim was also added, not sure on the factual why, but it certainly could have covered cracking edges on re-used parts.

They also sped up the assembly of the limbs by overlapping the edges for construction, where the ANH/ESB were done using a butt joint method.

We have an armour maker that visits the forums @sskunky, he is very well versed in RotJ and can probably offer far more accurate information than I have provided.

http://www.starwarshelmets.com

Is a great place to see the differences of the original helmets.

No one really knows how the ROTJ came about. The ROTJ armour is the same as the ESB mk2. But ESB mk2 was made in pinseal/haircell abs and ROTJ was made in smooth. The helmets however look different to each other.

It is thought that they made a few suits in ESB for background shots (one spotted in the freezing chamber scene) and for promotional work. Hence ESB mk2.
I believe these were then remoulded and the ROTJ were made. I could be wrong but that makes more sense timeline wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I appreciate the info. I’m trying to do my due diligence by researching as much as I can before pulling the financial trigger of buying a kit to build. Just want to get it right, so thank you all for the responses. 

• Like 2

Hello Victor! Do you want to build it yourself from kit, or do you want to order a commission build? The list that @gmrhodes13 posted of different armors has all the information you need!

I want to build it from a kit. I think it’ll be a great way to make my way into build parties in my area and meet other people with the same interests. I know a couple people who do cosplay but no one who does any Star Wars stuff. I checked out that link and it was super helpful. I’ll definitely be choosing something from there. Thank you for reaching out, I really appreciate the input!