Helmet Fit Question - Too Tight

Alikh

After a number of troopings under my belt in this kit, I've been wrestling with the fit of my bucket.  It feels like its too narrow when I put it on sideways before the twist to center it.  I can get it on, but scrapes across my ears so much I risk pulling off the S trim (which obviously becomes a pain to fix when suited up).  Let alone trying to get it on while adding a mic that sits over the ear.  Front to back opening is currently a tad over 6.5inches, a little less than that when the trim is on.

Based on the pics below, can I widen the opening any further, or is this tightness to be expected?  Most obvious place to trim would be near the vocoder/chin area, but not sure how much of that squared out shape is required to remain.  Also I assume I'd need to fix the paint with some thinner and redo the rounded bumps after cutting into it.

I haven't been able to find much info here so far on this topic, so appreciate any links or advice anyone has!

jvLXu9Km.jpg

nTVkVEOm.jpg

OfT9HrLm.jpg

I would first look at reducing your padding, all I use is soft foam, 5mm on top and a block @ 1 1/2" on each side in front of the ears. You have padding on the back of the helmet which may interfere with your ear.

You can trim a little more but remember if you do your neck S trim will be too short. Also make sure you don't trim too much, you don't want younglings to be able to see your face under the front of the helmet ;)

• Like 1

I have a pretty big head and it's a challenge. But I have a lot of stuff in my bucket as well. I have 4 fans, an icomm unit, and an audio amp along with the 12v power supply to drive it all. Plus I added a little hearing assist system that I designed. But I'm still able to fit my head because I removed all the padding except in the top and replaced the rest with very thin black EVA foam all around for lining and for looks. It's a process to put on and off but it fits comfortably when it's on. So even if you don't have a lot of stuff in there, removing the pads should help a lot. I also had trouble with the s trim wanting to come off for the same reason but I glued it all the way around with E6000 to take care of that. I wouldn't trim the opening except as a last resort. cc926f14f0a8fae7fbdce26d1630409b.jpg29d11a099096b5327a00534aeb3351a8.jpg

Sent from my SM-A546U using Tapatalk

• Like 1