1st Build - TK - DTKC -Build Thread

DTKC

Yes definitely get rid of that sharp corner, you'd know about that one while walking :laugh1:

A few references

gallery_12157_59_2026.jpg

gallery_12157_59_24448.jpg

gallery_12157_59_3978.jpg

I still need to trim the butt plate above.  I went back to the forearms and a couple things. 

3gQHLVq.png

The left forearm is quite different than the right.  I have seen other forearms that are similar to this.   Is my right one above normal?

0x1VH22.png

This is looking from the top of the forearm.  The left side is at the top of the image.  After sizing,  I am going to have to trim a little bit.  But want to make sure the way the first is image is, is ok before I do anymore trimming and glueing.

rFUqvKw.png

12 hours ago, DTKC said:

I still need to trim the butt plate above.  I went back to the forearms and a couple things. 

3gQHLVq.png

The left forearm is quite different than the right.  I have seen other forearms that are similar to this.   Is my right one above normal?

0x1VH22.png

This is looking from the top of the forearm.  The left side is at the top of the image.  After sizing,  I am going to have to trim a little bit.  But want to make sure the way the first is image is, is ok before I do anymore trimming and glueing.

rFUqvKw.png

Hi Dale , depending on the armorer, the forearms use to be different each other .   take a look to this AM armor build thread, page 3 about forearms assembly 

5 hours ago, TKSpartan said:

Hi Dale , depending on the armorer, the forearms use to be different each other .   take a look to this AM armor build thread, page 3 about forearms assembly 

Thank you, that is the build guide I am generally using.  I noticed his were a little different as well.  

• Like 1

Well, I figured it would happen at some point.  I have messed up in two areas.  Fortunately, I think Dave at Dave's Darkside Depot is going to be bailing me me.  Thanks Dave! 

The big AB plate got cut too small.  I thought it would fit in the molding.  And of course, I couldn't find any clear pictures ( and those were someone else who did the same thing) until after I made the error.  DOH! 

rP0RcmV.jpg

And... the left shin.  I also cut this too small originally.  I know, I know... measure 7 times, measure 2 more times, check with the FISD folks.  Measure a few more times.  Then maybe cut.  I think tried to put shims in which initially I thought would work until I got to sanding the ABS paste and started seeing the seam.  I did put cover strips on the inside to give it more strength.  

AND of course, I didn't find the ABS Paste Tutorial until after I applied it here.  

tRP7S8i.jpg

Like I said, I am hopefully getting replacements.  For the shins and AB Plates. 

Thin coats are best so it allows the paste to dry, if you add really thick coats you get a lot of air bubbles which will show when sanding.

Depending how they look after sanding there are a couple of options, purchase a replacement OR larger cover strips, these are normally added on the rear as the public normally see us from the front. I would however check in with your GML to make sure they allow larger cover strips, some GML's are a little tougher on some items.

A fix for the large ab plate is cut off the remaining return, then cut a piece of plastic larger than the ab plate, glue let dry and then fill in the join with abs paste, a few people have done this mod in the past and it's turned out great 

3Buc7El.jpg?1              ZyYStd0.jpg?2

I am having trouble finding images of how the crotch should be.   That look about right? 

gSNoU0H.png

I see my lines are a little off now that I have enlarged the photo, but those lines look about right?  

14GEY30.png

Also, looking at this post.  Do most people reinforce their shoulder bridges? 

gSNoU0H.png

24 minutes ago, DTKC said:

I am having trouble finding images of how the crotch should be.   That look about right? 

gSNoU0H.png

I see my lines are a little off now that I have enlarged the photo, but those lines look about right?  

14GEY30.png

Cod looks ok, see how it feels on, you could always trim a little more if you need to 

gallery_12157_16_20542.jpg

gallery_12157_16_42306.jpg

I didn't with my first set of armor but I do now, those lasted about 7 years without cracks (ATA is pretty thick) but constant flexing over time you do get cracks so it helps to glue a support piece underneath.

Biggest thing I found with my cod was just trimming to what looked right initially and then I made some slight adjustments after doing some tests walking in it. But what you have marked looks like a good starting point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

43 minutes ago, FN1313 said:

Biggest thing I found with my cod was just trimming to what looked right initially and then I made some slight adjustments after doing some tests walking in it. But what you have marked looks like a good starting point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Kyle!  

54 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

gSNoU0H.png

Cod looks ok, see how it feels on, you could always trim a little more if you need to 

gallery_12157_16_20542.jpg

gallery_12157_16_42306.jpg

I didn't with my first set of armor but I do now, those lasted about 7 years without cracks (ATA is pretty thick) but constant flexing over time you do get cracks so it helps to glue a support piece underneath.

Thanks Glen!  

• Like 1

That sad moment when you are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel... and you get to start on snaps, only to realize you can't find the die that came with the pliers and have zero idea if you ever saw them.  

Tomorrows a new day and will run by the store to get snaps started.

Edited by DTKC
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DTKC said:

Can someone help me understand what this means? Sorry if that is a dumb question. Clearly I am confusing that with something else. 

This is from https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_anh_stunt 

• A single male snap on the top right corner of the ab plate is present.

Sometimes referred to as the "Han" snap, for Level 3 a single male snap on the top right corner of the ab plate is present Note in the photos that it is the bottom of the snap that faces outward and is not painted.  This is also sometimes referred to as the "Han" snap.

K473Osx.jpg?1  aSMKgHu.jpg?1  ZInYdvj.jpg?1  v1NV32n.jpg?1

5 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Sometimes referred to as the "Han" snap, for Level 3 a single male snap on the top right corner of the ab plate is present Note in the photos that it is the bottom of the snap that faces outward and is not painted.  This is also sometimes referred to as the "Han" snap.

K473Osx.jpg?1  aSMKgHu.jpg?1  ZInYdvj.jpg?1  v1NV32n.jpg?1

Yeah, I am glad I asked cuz that's not how I would have interpreted that. I will have to take a look more at the pictures when I'm not on my phone. Appreciate it as always I'm going to owe you big time at the end of this!

On 9/23/2023 at 6:34 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

Well that's annoying. Great thread for snap setting (when you have a tool ;) )

Haha! It is but maybe that's the universe telling me to slow down. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DTKC said:

Yeah, I am glad I asked cuz that's not how I would have interpreted that. I will have to take a look more at the pictures when I'm not on my phone. Appreciate it as always I'm going to owe you big time at the end of this!

Haha! It is but maybe that's the universe telling me to slow down. 

Doesn't hurt to ask just to be sure :D 

This is probably a better reference. Called a "Han" snap as it was prominently seen on Han Solo's armor.

H3xyujR6oYBR4bMxYT23Pi-1200-80.png.webp

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't posted in about 10 days.  But I have been working on it. Today I completed painting, the strapping and had to move some snaps that I am now waiting on the glue.  I need to get some elastic for the hand guards tomorrow.  And as long as it all looks ok, and I will post pics. Then I am done with the body.  I am redoing part of the helmet as I realize that I made it too small for the electronics.  That should be completed by the end of the weekend and then done! Until you all tell me where I messed up.  Either way, I am excited to get more boxes check.  I got my blaster in and I will need to build that.  But I am sure it won't be as long as the trooper costume.  

• Like 2

FIRST - when I was putting on my suit, the arm came unsnapped and couldn't get it back on by myself.  

Ok - there is a small laundry list of items I need to fix

1. Shoulder Bell - I think the strap is too loose.  Now my shoulder also takes up about 1/2 of the bell.  
  2. The chest armor - I need to shorten the strap here as well.  The challenging I am facing is I am 6' 5.  So in this picture the around the crotch the black suit is actually sitting lower than the suit.   I had used an elastic strap just to add flexibility.  But thinking I need the regular strap and make it a little shorter so the black suit isn't below the crotch.  This will pull down the chest piece down about one inch.  
  3. The right shin - this is a replacement to the one I made too small.  I intentionally made this one a little larger, but I am think now, it's a little too large and just need to do a small adjustment.  Thoughts?
  4. legs - the left leg came unsnapped, and I didn't realize it in this picture so the left legs is sitting a bit lower than it should.

UMrJe7Q.png

It's hard to tell in this pictures but the back plate is sitting about one inch away form my shoulder blade.  I am thinking i need to shorter the elastic strap to pull it it a bit.  Once I do that I can see how the bottom is sitting and making adjustments. 

2Pr1wt3.png

Looks like you've pointed out most things.

Pulling your chest down may help pull up the backplate. As you are quite tall you may need a gap between the backplate and your kidney to allow it to come upwards.  

Agreed your shin looks a little big. Adding some foam behind can help pull the shin away from your knees so they don't catch.

I noticed your shoulder strap to shoulder bell is on top of you shoulder elastic, usually these go underneath so the black elastic isn't seen if it pulls outwards

2Pr1wt3(1).png.39355c64393fca16da2911be2d77905e.png

image001.png

Also noticed the holster straps attachments aren't quite aligned, may get picked up for base approval

2Pr1wt3.thumb.png.a8486a5f91f6d2c335a203144be6b51f.png

14 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Pulling your chest down may help pull up the backplate. As you are quite tall you may need a gap between the backplate and your kidney to allow it to come upwards.  

Agreed your shin looks a little big. Adding some foam behind can help pull the shin away from your knees so they don't catch.

I noticed your shoulder strap to shoulder bell is on top of you shoulder elastic, usually these go underneath so the black elastic isn't seen if it pulls outwards

Also noticed the holster straps attachments aren't quite aligned, may get picked up for base approval

2Pr1wt3.thumb.png.a8486a5f91f6d2c335a203144be6b51f.png

As always, thanks for the feedback.  I did put some foam in both shins as they immediately started pointing to the left.  I will make the left shin a smaller.  I can't do too much at the top I don't think as my calf itself is apparently big.  I will mess with it. 

I will look to tighten things up.  

While I am glad you pointed out the holster.  I didn't notice it.  I need to look at it and hope it was just an odd angle.  Honestly not sure what to do to fix that.  

• Like 1