ANH Helmet Lens Gap Question

ARC982106

I found a lens install guide created by Kamikaze, I followed his tutorial but unfortunately, the Sugru used to anchor the mounting bolts in position simply wasn't strong enough once the pressure of the lens was put on it. I had to use much more Sugru to get the bolts to stay anchored strongly causing the lens to not be able to sit flush, leaving a gap. Will this be too much gap? 

20230718_211624.jpg

20230718_211645.jpg

Gaps look a little large, I think I would have another go.

Remember that the eye area does have a curve so your lens will be under some strain, heating could help but you have to be very careful and slow or you will distort the lens.

I like to get mine sitting right and hold in place with magnets and tape, leave to dry for 48 to 72 hours to make sure it has dried completely 

I'm not sure what else can be done other than trying to sand all the sugru off and trying again, but I still run into the problem of the sugru not being strong enough to hold the bolts. I'm frustrated with the process as a whole because I've spent a month trying to get the lens to mount and work right.  

I also had some trouble getting the bolts to hold.  I ended up using some zap a gap to hold the bolts in place that broke out of the sugru.  
I am currently mounting lenses into my death trooper helmet and instead of just using the Sugru, I used Zap a Gap to first glue the bolts in place, then embedded the bases of the bolts in plastic weld epoxy, then will apply the Sugru to give the lens something to rest against.

I have to figure a way to remove the dried sugru and I think I'll just try a different method. I don't want to put the original film back in, but I'm thinking this Lens mounting is beyond my skill level, and definitely has me frustrated to the point asking for help. I appreciate the advice/suggestions.