Armour Suggestions – General Inquiry

Hello there,
My name is Paolo, I’m currently, eagerly, making my way through the trials and tribulations of putting my first trooper costume together, and hopefully, become a member of the legion in the near future.

I’ve posted some questions in my introductory forum post early last week and contacted my local garrisons GML (Canadian garrison) and I have finally made some decisions based on my research and discussions;

I am ambitiously aiming to put together a TK Trooper from ANH under the “Stunt” (or “Lineage Replica”) variant. I am a slender 24 year-old standing at 6’2” and currently weighting 140 Lbs.
 - -

I had a few general questions for anyone willing to reach out…

(1) I'm absolutely going to be taking everyone's suggestion to go with one of our vetted makers, l'm wondering if you yourself had a preference of who to go with based off of your experience?

(2) I noticed there are a variety of options for ordering the armour pre-build or from a kit (and everything in between), would people recommend getting a “trimmed kit” or “untrimmed kit” what are the major pro’s/ con’s there?

(3) That being said, are there any blades or saws for cutting the material people suggest/ would be able to recommend to achieve high quality cuts?

(4) Onto the paint/ polish conversation, are there any recommendations for paints, polish’s, or brushes that people found work the best?

Thank you again for your time and support, I know this is strictly voluntary and I appreciate this wholeheartedly.

Signing off for now,
P

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Trimmed vs. Untrimmed: Untrimmed is, obviously, more labor cutting but you’ll have tons of extra plastic for patches, strips, ABS paste etc. and if going for EIB or Centurion you will have way more freedom to build to accuracy vs. someone else cutting your armor how they think it should be.

• Like 1

(1) Mine is ATA and no longer available, if I was going to buy another I would try TM

(2) I find building from kit you fit to your body, if you have it pre trimmed or made to order you may have issues with sizing and some adjustments

(3) I use a rotary tool with disk cutting tool, barrel sanding tool and deburring tool, a lot of people you lexan scissors 

(4) Humbrol paints are normally used for the helmet and ab buttons, a mid grey or grey primer with a clear coat for the thermal detonator
 31201091045_f616e14d58_c.jpg

• Like 1

I went with an untrimmed kit.  I wanted to ensure that everything fit well and wanted to experience the start to finish process. I have seen both sides of the pre made kits with some very poorly fitting when they arrived and essentially had to be rebuilt and some pretty close to right on.  The trimming is not too hard.  I used lexan scissors to cut the basic trim, then I used a belt sander for the bulk of the closer trimming.  A Dremel or rotary tool is also very helpful for smaller detail areas.  Needle files are pretty critical for the teeth on the helmet.  

For polishing , I use 1000, then 2000 grit wet sanding blocks if there are scratches, then follow with the Novus number 2 polish from Trooperbay, then Meguires Plastix for the final.  For light scuffs, the Novus alone works well.

PbFUVnd.jpg

• Like 1

I always recommend I trimmed armor to anyone who is considering getting any. My reasons are as such.

- commissioned builds take longer and cost much more
- commissioned builds don’t always fit properly and fit is part of approval
- untrimmed teaches you how to build and manage armor so that you understand how to make repairs later (which will be needed at some point)
- untrimmed allows you to build it uniquely to yourself
- untrimmed allows you to learn as you share through a build thread.
- untrimmed leaves plenty of leftover plastic so you can make abs paste for repairs later.

I’ve seen good commissions before, but in most situations those reasons are why I say to build it from an untrimmed kit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2