ABS vs PVC RS Prop master Armor Yellowing and other Questions

So I am looking to buy a RS Prop masters stormtrooper outfit but have some serious questions about the options they offer which is PVC vs ABS. I think I want the ABS as it is been stated to be a more sturdy material but the issue is I've also been told it yellows when exposed to sunlight. Here are my questions. 

1. How long before or how quickly does the ABS armor yellow? i.e. will standing outside for a few hours or a day for an event turn it yellow? 

2. Can you not wear ABS Armor outside at all because of the yellowing or are you sort of confined to having to stay inside when wearing it?

3. Is there a way to reverse the yellowing of the armor if it does happen?

4. PVC looks really shiny but is it a better investment than ABS?

• Like 1

About two weeks ago I found out that my ABS RS TK had yellowed, so I hope some of my infos regarding this matter help you.

vor 30 Minuten schrieb CT1999:

1. How long before or how quickly does the ABS armor yellow? i.e. will standing outside for a few hours or a day for an event turn it yellow?

It took about 400 troop hours (estimation!) for my armor to yellow. About 200-250 (another estimation) of these should have been with indirect and direct sunlight exposure.

vor einer Stunde schrieb CT1999:

2. Can you not wear ABS Armor outside at all because of the yellowing or are you sort of confined to having to stay inside when wearing it?

You can wear it outside. The more you stay out of the sunlight the longer it should take until it yellows though. As of right now we know that UV light is one of the main contributors to yellowing, but proper armor care should also help keep your armor shiny.

There is! You can find a few resources in this resource thread. I'll be using this method hopefully some time within the next few weeks to reverse my own yellowing, I'll update you with the results once I get it done. It is said that your armor might yellow more easily if it happened before, so that might become a procedure you need to do every now and then.

For me it is too shiny. Where I troop most armors are made out of ABS and wearing PVC just sticks out. However, RS ABS armor is pretty creamy, so if you live in a region where many troopers have a brighter plastic, ABS is just as likely to look as if your armor has already yellowed. So I can't really help with that one. Maybe some of the troopers near you can help out!

• Like 1

My armour isn't RS but it is ABS.

My armour is yellowing, sadly a fact of life for ABS.  So far I am into 100s of hours but in a mix of inside and out.  It's not yellow yet, but it's certainly not the same colour it used to be, and some areas are worse than others.

The more you wear it in the sun, the faster it yellows.

The reversal process is generally known as "retrobright".  There are commercial products, but you can use hair products to do it too. It's a chemical process, but simple to do.  The 8 bit guy has some excellent videos on this if you're interested, mostly on computer cases, but the principle is the same.

As well as PVC there is also Acrylic Capped ABS from some vendors.  This puts a thin layer of gloss acrylic on the plastic for a whiter, wetter look.  For me it's too glossy and white but some like it.

Ultimately the yellowing is a break down of the ABS, visible in a colour change.  Over time the UV damage not only makes it yellow but it will also go brittle eventually. You can fix the colour, but not the brittleness. That said by the time that is an issue it's going to have done a huge number of hours.

I know it’s not RS, but Dave’s Darkside Depot does ABS with a special coating on one side of the plastic that helps prevent yellowing for much longer. Not sure if other vendors do it though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have RS PVC armor and I love it.  Most in my garrison have ABS and when I see pictures of myself standing next to them, I can see that mine is much whiter and shinier.  Personally, I like that.  When I see the Garrison Stormtroopers in the movies, I envision bright white, shiny armor.  I am 100% happy with the PVC and know I would be a little disappointed if I got ABS.  Really comes down to personal preference and which you like more, really no wrong answer if you are happy. 

I also have a RS PVC armor, and Just like Scott, I love it!

Like the Stormtroopers in the movies I always thought they were bright white when seen on screen , so it gives me the great Stormtrooper vibes seeing it and wearing it.

I also have a Troopermaster ABS which is creamy.  Hard to believe that this was the right colour for screenacurate armor, but is also awesome!

My favourite is the bright white PVC RS one because of the looks of it and the fact that PVC is more resistant against yellowing. It's a personal thing I guess which one will suits you best! 

On 7/5/2023 at 8:08 PM, CT1999 said:

1: The RS ABS will go yellow sat in a box without sunlight.

2: See number 1.

3: There's a few helpful threads on this very forum where this is discussed.

4: I wish you good luck in your choice, as long as your happy with your purchase that's all that counts. B)