Armor size questions

Hey all, TB25674 here

I am toying with the idea of building a TK for a long time. I've even started a couple but for various reasons (mostly time) sold them off. Looking for opinions on sizes of various armors. I searched here and have found varying degrees of information. I'm a bigger buy, 5'10" 220 (think dad bod) so its all in the waist area. I have a line on a decent price for ATA armor, but I've had stuff from WTF, DA Props, and 850 in the past and they all are decent quality. 

Any suggestions?

I am almost the exact same height and weight as you. I have an AP set and the extra sizing for the ab section was great. The calves and forearms are a bit snug, but not uncomfortable. 

For further information. I’m 5’10’ 220lbs and have rather toned thighs and calves from years of Marching Band/Drum Corps etc. So even though most armors fit my upper body fine, my legs have always been the nightmare. That’s why I chose to go with Dave’s Darkside Depot and his AM armor. He’s a little more generous in the plastic so I’ve heard. I have a build thread you could follow and I will try to post some plastic size pictures when I get the BBB in the mail soon. 

I hope this will give you an idea then of how his armor might compare.
For additional reference I have size 26 inch thighs and size 17 inch calves. (Rounded up)

Edited by FN1313

2 hours ago, FN1313 said:

For further information. I’m 5’10’ 220lbs and have rather toned thighs and calves from years of Marching Band/Drum Corps etc. So even though most armors fit my upper body fine, my legs have always been the nightmare. That’s why I chose to go with Dave’s Darkside Depot and his AM armor. He’s a little more generous in the plastic so I’ve heard. I have a build thread you could follow and I will try to post some plastic size pictures when I get the BBB in the mail soon. 

I hope this will give you an idea then of how his armor might compare.
For additional reference I have size 26 inch thighs and size 17 inch calves. (Rounded up)

I did reach out to Dave at AM a couple of days ago but haven't heard anything back yet. I tried RT and their email address bounces back. I know everything in Walt's kit will fit decent except the ab section. It will need to be shimmed for sure. I know his quality too. I just don't want to build it and it look "off" being my size. I know its all about the fit and finish. 

Dave is definitely busy right now he’s got a heavy wave of stormtroopers he’s finishing up at this moment, so he may not be the fastest response. Walt’s kits are also really nice. I can’t say anything wrong about any of the options. At the end of the day it just comes down to what works best.

31 minutes ago, FN1313 said:

Dave is definitely busy right now he’s got a heavy wave of stormtroopers he’s finishing up at this moment, so he may not be the fastest response. Walt’s kits are also really nice. I can’t say anything wrong about any of the options. At the end of the day it just comes down to what works best.

In the end of the day, I may go with Walts. Good stuff, i have other kits from him. I like to sort of stick with one maker. I know it will be a little work shimming but its not bad for basic approval. My R1TK I did I made the shims seamless. Just a little elbow grease. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TI25674 said:

In the end of the day, I may go with Walts. Good stuff, i have other kits from him. I like to sort of stick with one maker. I know it will be a little work shimming but its not bad for basic approval. My R1TK I did I made the shims seamless. Just a little elbow grease. 

I can't blame you. In this costuming world, trustworthy vendors are a dime a dozen sometimes. Nothing wrong with supporting those few who continue to show trustworthy capacity.

8 minutes ago, FN1313 said:

I can't blame you. In this costuming world, trustworthy vendors are a dime a dozen sometimes. Nothing wrong with supporting those few who continue to show trustworthy capacity.

Yeah. Now to decide. I'm back and forth between a TK and a muddy. Ultimately if it's a TK I will convert to a sandy at some point if I don't build to those crls to start. I know there will be shimming for a TK, I just don't want it to look off (did I say that already? I don't know).

• Like 1