new latex handguards soon! (hopefully)

guys, I'm having problems with the white paint. The handguards have been lying around for a few days now, but the paint keeps staying tacky and once you put something on, the paint will stick to it and it will leave nasty marks, which makes shipping impossible.

I took a set to my squad christmas dinner last weekend in a plastic bag, they got there fine, but when I returned the bag had sticked to the handguards and was leaving an ugly pattern in the paint...

I don't know wether this is down to a bad spraycan (it's still tacky on the cardboard that the handguards were on), longer drying time (which would be kind of weird, it's been nearly a week!) or, worst, the paint not working with latex.

I will look into it over the next few days and come up with a solution - maybe I'll have to try something else... shoe dye, right John? ;)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I took a step back and I guess I found a solution to the paint problem. The latex paint I used first that I didn't like because of the brushmarks will most likely be what I'm going to use.

I bought a new brush, which leaves only very faint brushmarks, the paint dries quickly and doesn't stay tacky, and it's the nicer white compared to the spraypaint. And after all, brushmarks are screen accurate anyway, so I guess it just adds to the coolness ;D

So I'm back on track - I just need to strip all the handguards and repaint them. It does take time, so give me another week or so, then the first sets will ship :)

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, it took me a little longer, but here's another update: The new paint is not staying tacky, it is still quite flexible, it has faint brushmarks (hey, even more screen accurate! ;)) but overall is a lot more white than the spraypaint and won't stick to everything ;)

Here are some pics, I will spend the rest of the week painting up a few more sets, so I guess I'll be finally ready to ship some out around christmas!

Some things can take longer than expected... oh well!

hg6.jpg

hg7.jpg

Those turned out nicely!

Thanks :) It does take a lot longer painting them that way than with a spraycan though, it takes multiple layers (2 to 3) and I have to make sure they are thin and even, so the brushmarks won't get too prominent. But hey, it's sure worth it! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, I know I've been quiet on the handguards front, but I will soon be able to get some sets out. Now that I finished my personal TK build, I can spend more time on these, and I've started painting up a whole bunch of sets.

I think I will have about 10 sets done and ready for shipping by next week. So in case you guys are still interested, it's not long to go.

If you check my elite application thread you can see those in "action" (although the pics aren't the best). They paint wore off a little on the edges, due to the forearm armour rubbing against the back, but nothing too bad. once again, it's just like in the movie ;)