Jonathan's ANH TK Build

JSchmit

Nice work, ABS paste is a long process and it's coming along nicely.

You will also need to fill the gaps in the lower ridge, even if you are adding mobility cuts: 

• Any mobility cuts on back of piece do not go past raised ridges.

large.ANHTKbackscopy.jpg.41c7ae8d89ee578

25 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Nice work, ABS paste is a long process and it's coming along nicely.

You will also need to fill the gaps in the lower ridge, even if you are adding mobility cuts: 

• Any mobility cuts on back of piece do not go past raised ridges.

large.ANHTKbackscopy.jpg.41c7ae8d89ee578

Thanks for the feedback! I do plan to fill in the gaps in the lower ridge. I purchased some Sugru and plan to use Joseph's method in filling them in. I plan to do that when I'm done with the shims.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone! I've been gone for a week or so, so I've only been able to get a few odds and ends done. I continued to sand and polish the shims. Despite working on this for awhile, the plastic that was added come out a bit discolored despite the plastic being smooth and flush with the existing pieces:

StqKgO3.jpg

Does anyone have a solution for this? The only thing I though of was to touch it up with white gloss paint.

I've had this happen in the past, I used water based acrylic paint only as it was cheap and I could easily shade to the white to match, really thin coats worked our well and you can even dap a wet rag against it to smooth any brush marks, then once completely dry add some clear paint or hair spray to give some shine.

You can also use white gloss paint as long as you can get a good match. 

As it's on the rear it won't be as noticeable to the public.

Don't forget you will need to also fill those open ridges, if adding mobility cuts you will still need to fill the top of the ridge.

• Like 1

Also double check that there’s no minor pock marks from the bubbles that develop from the acetone as the paste cures. I had to go a couple times over the areas to fill those pock holes with more abs paste before they started looking more smooth and correct overall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's really a matter of shading, adding other paint to change the shade, there are many different shades of white depending on what armor.

22 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

It's really a matter of shading, adding other paint to change the shade, there are many different shades of white depending on what armor.

How do I determine which is the correct shade of paint to match the armor? Would that involve mixing other shades of white to what I already have?

41 minutes ago, JSchmit said:

How do I determine which is the correct shade of paint to match the armor? Would that involve mixing other shades of white to what I already have?

Unfortunately it's trial and error, if you have some scrap you could test shades on that, you only need to mix a small amount as a test.

Also remember what you see in person can look different in images so may not be as bad as you think.

Hey, everyone! What seems like a long, long time ago, I started the process of adding shims to the back of my thigh pieces. I think I finally got a point where I'm comfortable with how the pieces look and fit on my leg.

X51k8po.jpg

This is the back of the thighs after adding plastic and painting. The paint doesn't completely blend with the pre-existing plastic, but I think you have to be pretty close to the back of the thigh to notice it.

Here is the updated fitting now that the shims have been added:

7FqdyrW.jpg

dtxz1Se.jpg

In the picture, the right thigh fell downward towards the leg a bit, but it has room to move up with strapping. My plan now is to fill in the gaps in the thighs, make the mobility cuts, and see if the tops need to be cut down at all before adding the internal strapping system. I just wanted to post  this first in case anyone had any feedback.

• Like 1

Great work, remember that if adding mobility cuts do cut through the top edge, only the back section of the ridge. Yes I've said it before but doesn't hurt to say it again ;)

• Any mobility cuts on the back do not extend beyond the top of the raised ridge.

I made some mobility cuts along the bottoms of the thighs and the tops of the shins:

Px9SBuI.jpg

I tested the pieces, and the cuts definitely helped mobility, but movement still felt a bit limited. Based off this fitting, what would help mobility more, adjusting the tops of the thighs or the bottom of the shins?

vGZCMu6.jpg

It looks to me like the thighs might need to come up a bit. If that is the case, will this trim line maintain the piece's original shape:

1WowlXY.jpg

bHlEQVT.jpg

cHDXtRa.jpgORS5kH7.jpg

1 hour ago, JSchmit said:

Does anyone have any feedback on this? I'd like to know if the thighs or shins should be adjusted first before i make any permanent changes.

Personally (if room available) it look in the images you may be able to bring the abdomen and kidney upwards, if so this is going to change the gaps at the top of the thighs. I make all final trim adjustments once I am fully kitted up in the armor, just by adding/adjusting one area it can change other areas.

Have a look at this reference for gaps, note the thighs are butting up against the cod, in your image looks like you have room. Knee gaps are barely existent on some

1000?cb=20130318061027

Easy to take off later than try to add back on.

2 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Personally (if room available) it look in the images you may be able to bring the abdomen and kidney upwards, if so this is going to change the gaps at the top of the thighs. I make all final trim adjustments once I am fully kitted up in the armor, just by adding/adjusting one area it can change other areas.

Have a look at this reference for gaps, note the thighs are butting up against the cod, in your image looks like you have room. Knee gaps are barely existent on some

1000?cb=20130318061027

Easy to take off later than try to add back on.

My thigh pieces have a some room to move up in their current state. I would just need the internal strapping system to make them stay in place. And when you say move the ab and kidneys upwards, do you mean to adjust the strapping or physically adjust them farther up when I'm wearing it?

2 hours ago, JSchmit said:

My thigh pieces have a some room to move up in their current state. I would just need the internal strapping system to make them stay in place. And when you say move the ab and kidneys upwards, do you mean to adjust the strapping or physically adjust them farther up when I'm wearing it?

Cod should be snug so if you have room bring the abdomen and kidney upwards. Could be tighter strapping between chest and backplate or tighter between chest and abdomen, it's a bit of trial and error. As long as you aren't cutting circulation off around the cod :laugh1:

6 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Cod should be snug so if you have room bring the abdomen and kidney upwards. Could be tighter strapping between chest and backplate or tighter between chest and abdomen, it's a bit of trial and error. As long as you aren't cutting circulation off around the cod :laugh1:

So I worked the abdomen and kidney pieces up and checked the fitting. This is the end result:

RlFgeG4.jpg

soXyZ3g.jpg

To me, the fitting looks close to a few of the troopers in the screen references, but most have the thighs closer to the codpiece. The only way I can think of would be to redo the process of adding a shim to the back of the thighs, which is something I hope to avoid. Based on this, what would you say my best option would be?

You are fine the way it is, remember you aren't seen from the back very often and you do need some room to move around. It is quite restrictive in armor and you will never bend your knees as if you are just walking around, mine I probably get about 1/2 normal movement.

See if you can add some foam behind your sniper plate, it will help to push it forward away from your thigh.

Check on final adjustments once thigh ammo strip is attached and you are fully kitted up.

• Like 1

Looking good. Yeah I’d recommend the foam behind the knee as well. I just got some in for the fact that it should push it forward but also make it more comfortable to wear too.

Getting closer!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for that input! I'll definitely add some foam behind the sniper knee. I've been having issues with the thigh piece coming down over it. Would you happen to have an image of the sniper knee with the foam applied for a visual guide?

1 hour ago, JSchmit said:

Thanks for that input! I'll definitely add some foam behind the sniper knee. I've been having issues with the thigh piece coming down over it. Would you happen to have an image of the sniper knee with the foam applied for a visual guide?

Not my image but similar

eOXlWl.jpg

You can ever try adding some foam in the back of the thigh at the base to help push it backwards from the sniper plate, either way is worth a try.

Hey, everyone! I got all the pieces assembled, so I put everything together for an initial fitting. I had my sister take some pictures of me around our family farm:

H7WWrDm.jpg

xL8Zba5.jpg\

3wFsdGA.jpg

kjVlvq0.jpg

There are a few things I can think of that I need to do (foam behind the sniper knee) and one thing I noticed is that I'm still having issues getting the thigh pieces to stay stationary even with the internal strapping. If anyone has any feedback on this issue or any thing else in the pictures above, please let me know!

Edited by JSchmit

Your images are very small so hard to make out a lot of details, you will need bigger images when you send in your application to your GML. Also best to take your photos inside on a blank contrasting background.

Thighs should come up a bit closer to the cod, tighter strapping may help, they are also at different heights.

Your left bicep is popping out under your shoulder bell in a few photos.

Looks like your detonator can come down on the belt.

Belt could come up too, for L3 

• The top of the ABS ammo belt should sit at or just above the bottom of the central and vertical abdomen button panels.