Bob's ROTK 850 Armor Works Build Thread

Teach-

I finished attaching the edging I had to remove. First I reinforced them on the inside to strengthen them. As those dried, I found kman's HOW TO: Make ABS Paste. I cut a bunch of small pieces of the ABS I had left over and added acetone slowly as suggested. I applied the paste with a toothpick and then used a rubber spatula head to push it into the seam.

0UG1e9x.jpg

xGE5EeC.jpg

Looking back after using it, I should have added a bit more acetone. It seemed to be the right consistency, but it was a little too thick and seemed to dry quickly. It worked for me, but I would have liked it looser so I could have gotten it into the seam better.

The dried paste was pretty rough and not smooth at all. I used a 220 and then a 400 grit sandpaper to smooth the finish. It's what I had on hand. If I had a finer grit, I would have done one more round with that.

8Rb4gb4.jpg 

AmDJjN6.jpg

b5tsMQs.jpg

9dlYP4H.jpg

Once I got the smooth finish, I used the XTC-3D to give it a glossier finish. Below are some close up pictures. You can see that it's not perfect. There are two pictures from a distance also and in those, the attachments and ABS paste look pretty good. Not perfect, but pretty good.

ec28p1A.jpg

7lbuWRk.jpg

opCBjnk.jpg

dyReAtM.jpg

• Like 2

They came up well, nice job. You may however need to extend them just a little, the inner corners, as the ridge comes to the ends of the cut out area BUT in saying that your GML may not even notice them. Just trimming the added ridges straight could be enough.

large.28089831290_5985f0215e_o.jpg.9a939

dyReAtM.jpg.d354befe757849d31dfeae9a4f68c491.jpg

With finer sandpaper (wet and dry) I use water with a drop of dish washing liquid, helps the sandpaper to glide and doesn't clog as quickly ;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Teach- said:

While my work continues, I posted the body armor on the pre-approval feedback forum. I'm looking forward to what I learn.

Feedback left :D