Klean-strip VM&P Naphtha or Mineral Spirits To Thin Enamels For ABS Plastic?

Hey everyone.

I'm trying to figure out the best paint thinner to use with Humbrol Enamels....

Are the Klean-strip brand VM&P Naphtha or Mineral Spirits both safe to put on raw ABS if mixed with an enamel paint? I don't really have a good scrap piece to work with, but was worried one of these would potentially eat up the ABS even if it had enamel paint mixed with it.

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Edited by josiff

• josiff changed the title to Klean-strip VM&P Naphtha or Mineral Spirits To Thin Enamels For ABS Plastic?

Most solvents with burn plastic if left on straight from the bottle but mineral spirits is a little gentler. I have found a touch of general automotive thinner has worked for me.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Most solvents with burn plastic if left on straight from the bottle but mineral spirits is a little gentler. I have found a touch of general automotive thinner has worked for me.

Well that sounds scary. I guess I'll just use mineral spirits then. I wasn't sure how people painted on the blue, grey and black parts on stormtroopers and thin the paint appropriately if they use the humbrol enamels RS Props mentions in one of their old videos.

2 hours ago, josiff said:

Well that sounds scary. I guess I'll just use mineral spirits then. I wasn't sure how people painted on the blue, grey and black parts on stormtroopers and thin the paint appropriately if they use the humbrol enamels RS Props mentions in one of their old videos.

You don’t need to thin them:duim:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, josiff said:

You may also want to check the colors as from memory I think RS use a darker blue ;) 

31201091045_f616e14d58_c.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

You may also want to check the colors as from memory I think RS use a darker blue ;) 

31201091045_f616e14d58_c.jpg

Good to know. Looks like the old video I was looking at has the incorrect blue. Thank you!

• Like 1