What is required?

After a lot of searching both on here and the 501st page, i can not find what costume specifics are required for 501st membership. The 501st membership page just says something to the effect of owning a star wars bad guy outfit, but contains no specifics as to what quality standards and little nit picks. So have i just missed it somewhere? Do specific guidelines really exist or is it really as simple as gluing something together that looks relatively close to a stormtrooper?

They exist, but not publicly yet. Getting a requirement list has been an ongoing project for the Legion and many of the costume reference guides are in final review. There are draft versions stickyed at the top of each movie version subforum.

I too wish they'd post SOMETHING on the 501st site, the CRL link is completely useless currently. Even if they'd put up DRAFT in big letters and put the draft versions up or something. Reference photos in all these CRL's would be nice too.

Actually there has never been a published list of requirements for the 501st - it's been tribal knowledge and a bit inconsistent, hence, the CRL project.

On the one hand, if you do the Elite requirements you're guaranteed to get in ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Actually ...... what might be a good idea is to put a notice on the "Join the Legion" link, that specifically directs prospective members to the sign up on the Detachment board for the costume they are interested in.

It can state that the CRL is a work in progress but each detachment is aware of the specific requirements that determine if a costume is suitable. It might avoid having people buy something and then discovering its going to take a lot of work to repair or modify.

Potential or interested members should simply reach out for the 501st Garrison that is in the state they live in. Get onto the local boards, meet some members and get some great advice, including some good armor sources and who you may want to stay away from (Rubies :lol: ).

We always try and recruit and encourage people on boards such as this to come on over and join our forums as well. Specific sites like FISD (for TK) or BSN (for TB) can offer better and more specific tips and advice on whatever costume is their specialty, but local forums are better for getting personal interaction and finding an actual 501st troop that will be near you and you can attend. Meeting members in person and seeing costumes first hand is the best way to get motivated and learn some things. Plus, we have "Garrison Days" every month, where we get together and work on costumes or other projects, and we encourage new members to come and join the fun. :D

And if you have a costume or have questions you can contact the local GML (Garrison Membership Liaison), as most of the time they are the ones who approve or turn down the costume you submit (some costumes go to the Legion directly). They will be able to tell you what you need or what you need to fix.

Potential or interested members should simply reach out for the 501st Garrison that is in the state they live in.

Another great idea Terry. Nothing better than seeing the armor in person.

That being said, I think Alex brings up a good point.....not just for himself and what he needs but generically on the 501st website. He will certainly benefit from finding his way here.

I just think it would be helpful to tell people there are specific places to look and get advice as to the quality of their costume and then specifically tell people to seek out their local garrisons and the detachment boards for assistance. Its been my experience that even the most dedicated person needs a little direction from time to time.

It may sometimes seem like an obvious thing but maybe not. I know I didn't contact my local garrison until after I completed the costume. Fortunately I found my way here for the construction phase and benefitted from plenty of advice. I and every one here want to see everyone interested do the same and more.