SublimeBW's Armor Master's (AM) ANH Stunt Kit - Build Thread

SublimeBW

Slow movement last week but I think my patience paid off.

30PlLHf.jpg

EjYfwmG.jpg

Sadly, Diablo 4 and building Star Wars Shatterpoint stuff with a buddy got in the way of real progress so that is all I have to share for the week.  I will review the chest & abdomen build once again in prep for weekend progress.

Edited by SublimeBW
Corrected image size
  • Like 1

Any progress is good progress, real life can get in the way, don't worry the armor will still be there when you have more time :D 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We did an uncut & untrimmed test fit of the torso armor and I was hoping to get some feedback on the fit prior to us making any cuts. It feels a bit large around the sides (see picture #3, #4, #5 & 6) but wasn't sure if I should adjust that at all (I am 5'9" and 180 LBS). If so, is there any recommendation of the process? Also, the back and chest plate seem to be sticking out a lot and wasn't sure if that was due to the spacing issue with the lower portion of the torso, an inaccurate tape job or if that is how the are.

Any direction on the best way to adjust the torso along with any trimming/return edge tips/guidelines would be much appreciated.

3T80zM7.jpg

o4d8BgY.jpg

jrxvJXh.jpg

d8WEkNd.jpg

SPmrYPS.jpg

Tju81vE.jpg

62oZk1F.jpg

bXkRc8X.jpg

05tYmxv.jpg

hSvF6U4.jpg

c0kN1rf.jpg

Edited by SublimeBW
Adjusted picture size

You may be able to bring the kidney and abdomen in a bit and trim excess of the ends of the kidney. I know I took off an inch each side, but that’s only if it fits as such. Otherwise it’s looking a good start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

AM is built for the bigger trooper so there is excess material on the sides you should be able to trim. 

Although an earlier version of AM (V1) @ukswrath has a great AM build that could be helpful

• Like 1

I have been doing some slow progress on the torso and was curious on the trimming of the posterior. I have seen mixed things about the return edge on the bottom (does it stay or go) and the tab at the bottom. I didn't see anything on the CRL for it so was curious on what is the proper approach.

Additional question, is the a recommended return edge depth for the top of the posterior and the bottom of the kidney? I am currently sitting at around the 7.75 mm mark for it.

uzCgixQ.jpg

4 hours ago, SublimeBW said:

I have been doing some slow progress on the torso and was curious on the trimming of the posterior. I have seen mixed things about the return edge on the bottom (does it stay or go) and the tab at the bottom. I didn't see anything on the CRL for it so was curious on what is the proper approach.

Additional question, is the a recommended return edge depth for the top of the posterior and the bottom of the kidney? I am currently sitting at around the 7.75 mm mark for it.

uzCgixQ.jpg

You lines look about right, you may find that near the sides you adjust it to go upward a little if need be, but overall that looks good. Just make sure that the sharp corners you have in the lines are slightly curved so that it’s less likely to develop cracks.

• Like 1

When in doubt: https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/48166-return-edges-101-ottk/

Now, the BOTTOM of the posterior plate is where we often find splitting issues.  Should you leave some return edge?  Sure!  BUT(T), when trimming the corners, (see below) be SURE not to give it a sharp angle... this is where the trouble usually starts.  Instead, give it a slightly rounded angle (as shown in green).

wbt1GTb.jpg

gallery_12157_59_2026.jpg

gallery_12157_59_40191.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

When in doubt: https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/48166-return-edges-101-ottk/

Now, the BOTTOM of the posterior plate is where we often find splitting issues.  Should you leave some return edge?  Sure!  BUT(T), when trimming the corners, (see below) be SURE not to give it a sharp angle... this is where the trouble usually starts.  Instead, give it a slightly rounded angle (as shown in green).

AHHHH! I knew I saw that at one point but forgot about it; thanks for the resource reminder. Between those images and the feedback, I think I am fairly confident I will be making the right cuts.

Also, thanks for the feedback overall. It is a nerve wrecking journey for me so having these loop has been a godsend for my peace of mind.

On a more fun note! My split rivets arrived today so I get to move forward with those. They look smaller than expected but the head and length are 5/16 and the shaft is 5/32 so believe I have the right pieces.

• Like 1

Hold on to your butts as I trimmed the posterior and added the snaps. Snaps are placed 15 mm & 35 mm (to center of snap) from the edge of the posterior.

aGIO7hd.jpg

dlQVjAV.jpg

8OeNwnX.jpg

Edited by SublimeBW
Corrected image size
  • Like 3

I put in the cod piece rivet but the washer seems a bit big so I might go and pick up different washers. Given it isn't meant to be functional, I am unsure if it is worth the hassle to correct or not (picture below).

Questions for the group regarding torso build:
1. Is the rigging/hinge that is used in this post still a valid option at higher levels (I want to make Centurion when all is said and done)? I am guessing so but wanted to double check that I didn't come across something that is grandfathered in (no pun intended with the OF title, @A.J. Hamler).

2. Is the diagram depicting the placement of the abdomen and kidney rivets accurate or has new information been found/discovered?

3. Is there a recommendation for the amount of return edge to leave near the cod piece and the sides of the check & back? I currently have an average of 6.5 mm near the groin and 10 mm on the back and chest pieces. I like the chunkier look but worry about mobility and meeting standards.

T6Pvk7q.jpg

Edited by SublimeBW
Corrected image size

1: There are no requirements as to internal strapping rigging, I like using double snaps in case one lets go, did happen at a troop once, on a shoulder

Average layout

wXbXJe1.jpg

2:  References side rivet placement

gallery_12157_16_598.jpg

gallery_12157_16_12210.jpg

3: I removed all the return edge around the cod, you don't want it to pinch. I left @ 5mm return edge on other pieces, gives a little strength and I prefer the appearance 

I echo what was said, you can check my thread for more on how I did my rigging, but here’s some examples (Still waiting on helmet for approval and such, but everything else is pretty much there)

39344c49c369e8de928af74d593e4a99.jpg
bebabfcee1a5790a2ee43bebdc75df0d.jpg

You can also see I removed some of the return edge on the kidney and posterior armor. I kept maybe half an inch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not as much progress as I wanted but I am on my way!

I trimmed up the sides of the chest & back (so it is an average of 5 mm and some parts being wider) , made my 2" segments and installed my male side snaps for my torso rigging and started gluing the rigging in place.

Shoulder strap questions

1. I am attempting to trim up the straps but am curious how much to leave surrounding the bumps. I currently have it at 5 mm but I feel like that is too much
    2D3afhq.jpg
  2. Is there a standard for how many bumps should be on the upper chest? I am seeing an average of 5 but figured I would ask since they aren't adhered yet
Edited by SublimeBW
Corrected image size

1 hour ago, SublimeBW said:

Not as much progress as I wanted but I am on my way!

I am attempting to trim up the straps but am curious how much to leave surrounding the bumps. I currently have it at 5 mm but I feel like that is too much
2D3afhq.jpg

1. Is there a standard for how many bumps should be on the upper chest? I am seeing an average of 5 but figured I would ask since they aren't adhered yet

1 would trim a little more 

gallery_12157_16_28971.jpg

2. Really depends on what armor, some makes won't allow more than 1 large tab 2 & 1/2 small tabs. As you can see in the image above there is 1 large tab and 4 - 5 smaller tabs which would cover the chest (albeit a gap under the strap)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

1 would trim a little more 

gallery_12157_16_28971.jpg

2. Really depends on what armor, some makes won't allow more than 1 large tab 2 & 1/2 small tabs. As you can see in the image above there is 1 large tab and 4 - 5 smaller tabs which would cover the chest (albeit a gap under the strap)

Interesting to see that there is differences in the shoulder bumps between models. That explains some of the inconsistencies I was seeing. I have the large bump plus 11 small bumps and a slightly larger bump at the end of the line. I will try and split the difference and see how it looks.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SublimeBW said:

Interesting to see that there is differences in the shoulder bumps between models. That explains some of the inconsistencies I was seeing. I have the large bump plus 11 small bumps and a slightly larger bump at the end of the line. I will try and split the difference and see how it looks.

You can also remove/trim any large tab from the rear

NOTE As seen in the photos below, there are no large tabs on the rear of the shoulder bridges.  This is not specifically mentioned in the CRL, but removing them is highly recommended if possible.

qb4YVKO.jpg?1   B3vL4VO.jpg?1

2 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

You can also remove/trim any large tab from the rear

NOTE As seen in the photos below, there are no large tabs on the rear of the shoulder bridges.  This is not specifically mentioned in the CRL, but removing them is highly recommended if possible.

qb4YVKO.jpg?1   B3vL4VO.jpg?1

Having made the AM armor myself, I trimmed the shoulder straps with roughly 2mm of margin around the bumps. I trimmed the back large bump away as well. I did also do some reinforcement and heating to bend them down a bit. I’ll have to do a small bit more bend in the back. But it worked out well.

1oLuK0Z.jpg

(The more curved part is the rear, the straight part in the front was done that way to glue it under the chest tabs)

NDEo3C9.jpg

FqcxhcE.jpg

• Like 1

Progress for the week:

Left side rivets installed and did a bit of interior bracing (sadly, it looks like the placement of the brace shifted a little while it was curing; oh well)

wOhbgQp.jpg

aNdAjVh.jpg

Working on interior rigging underway

cWfyUG9.jpg

3YUy5Gq.jpg

Trimmed up the shoulder straps some more and adhered them
sUB8nHt.jpg

YFHaY4c.jpg

This week's goal

• Complete interior rigging system & elastic connectors
  • Test fit torso
  • Order belt, holster & neck seal
Edited by SublimeBW
Corrected image size
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I feel off the crafting wagon pretty hard! Had a week of solo-dading it up to get the ball rolling, then a vacation, my 40th birthday, my wife's birthday, our anniversary, general summer fun and Baldur's Gate 3 with friends (including the guy that has been helping me make the armor). Now that I am past that stuff, it is time I get to being motivated to finish this project.

I have my interior harnessing mostly complete but am having issues keeping the chest/ab & kidney play aligned. I tried a tongue and groove method to keep them in place, and it worked, but then the pieces popped off when trying to take the torso off. Does anyone have suggestions on how to keep those pieces aligned or should I go with the method I tried previously but maybe with stronger glue (I used Super Glue on some pieces of ABS that I have for bracing near the edges).

• 4 months later...

After 6 months of being off from build, we resumed build yesterday. It felt good to be working on the project again and have a build plan roughly shaped out, making large progress every other Saturday with me doing the final size adjustments and small details (bonding/painting/whatever) during the time in between.

We trimmed up the thighs and they seem to fight well around my thigh but I will need to trim down the length of them.

A few questions:

1. When trimming the length, is it easiest to use a compass to make sure sure you keep the correct contour all the way around?
  2. Is there a limit of how much can be taken off?
  3. Is there a desired end point that can easily be referenced or is it simply what is comfortable?
  4. We noticed that one leg of the armor was actually longer than the other, is this normal (I am assuming this is OK, but never hurts to ask)?

Edit: I apologize for the filthy Jedi shirt you see me wearing in my beautiful white armor.

9VC4veG.jpg

QAGMk2c.jpg

nNzRxId.jpg

AL7Pf1f.jpg

x4tDctH.jpg

Edited by SublimeBW
Correcting image sizing