Screws/bolts for TK helmet ears?

Hey everyone. New here and in the middle of my Tk build. I'm trying to find the correct size/style/length, etc... for the ears on the TK helmet. It may already be posted in here somewhere, but I can't find anything definitive. I may be overlooking something, but can't you just go to Home Depot or Lowe's and say "I need x amount of this in this size?"

I'd appreciate any help directing me in the right direction. Thanks so much!

For Level 3, all ear screws must be "..slotted, flat-topped, countersunk and painted white".  

1RxBYVY.jpg?2

Note:   The recommended screw head size is #6/32 (7mm), with a length between 3/4" to 1" (17 to 25mm).

You will find you also need to trim the length when fitted so they don't take your ears off every time you put your helmet on and off ;) 

• Like 1

On 8/31/2021 at 3:20 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

For Level 3, all ear screws must be "..slotted, flat-topped, countersunk and painted white".  

1RxBYVY.jpg?2

Note:   The recommended screw head size is #6/32 (7mm), with a length between 3/4" to 1" (17 to 25mm).

You will find you also need to trim the length when fitted so they don't take your ears off every time you put your helmet on and off ;) 

Perfect! This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks so much for the help

• Like 1

7 hours ago, boochamp said:

Perfect! This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks so much for the help

You can a lot of detailed info in one of @justjoseph63's threads 

Also if you haven't visited this page as yet it's full of TK resources ;) 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

1RxBYVY.jpg?2

You will find you also need to trim the length when fitted so they don't take your ears off every time you put your helmet on and off  

Hey brother i was looking info about the helmet screws and found your post, can you helmet me clarify something please?

6/32 inch is equivalent to 4.7 millimeters, why you say is 7mm?, and some builders use 6 millimeters head width as screen accurate.

Do you have any more info about that, that can help us get to a consensus?

Sent from my GM1900 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Sn4k3 said:

Hey brother i was looking info about the helmet screws and found your post, can you helmet me clarify something please?

6/32 inch is equivalent to 4.7 millimeters, why you say is 7mm?, and some builders use 6 millimeters head width as screen accurate.

Do you have any more info about that, that can help us get to a consensus?

You have brought up a very good point, Daniel.  Here is my personal take on this:

Finding exact measurements on particular screen used armor parts has always been a challenge.  The best references that I know of are the ones from the original set that RS owns, where they used measuring calipers for many parts.  Unfortunately one of the only items that do not show a measurement are the ear screws.  BUT... 

I think it's safe to assume that the screws that the prop makers used for the ears were the same type used for the bracket system.  Different lengths of course, but the same head diameter.  Am I positive on this?  Not at all, but it would make sense in my opinion.  Below is a photo showing the exact measurement (5mm) of one of the bracket screws on screen used armor.

6pFd3Cq.jpg?2

You also have to consider that it may be difficult (if not impossible) for builders (or even armorers) to source the exact hardware sizes used 45 years ago.. especially in the U.S. where we haven't fully embraced the metric system. :blush:

While the 5mm head diameter would be fine for approval imo, the 6mm or 7mm (6/32) are also acceptable at all levels.

You have brought up a very good point, Daniel.  Here is my personal take on this:

Finding exact measurements on particular screen used armor parts has always been a challenge.  The best references that I know of are the ones from the original set that RS owns, where they used measuring calipers for many parts.  Unfortunately one of the only items that do not show a measurement are the ear screws.  BUT... 
I think it's safe to assume that the screws that the prop makers used for the ears were the same type used for the bracket system.  Different lengths of course, but the same head diameter.  Am I positive on this?  Not at all, but it would make sense in my opinion.  Below is a photo showing the exact measurement (5mm) of one of the bracket screws on screen used armor.

6pFd3Cq.jpg?2

You also have to consider that it may be difficult (if not impossible) for builders (or even armorers) to source the exact hardware sizes used 45 years ago.. especially in the U.S. where we haven't fully embraced the metric system. :blush:
While the 5mm head diameter would be fine for approval imo, the 6mm or 7mm (6/32) are also acceptable at all levels.
Yeah i understand, to my eyes seems more like 6mm.

Have you found 6mm head size?

Sent from my GM1900 using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, Sn4k3 said:

Have you found 6mm head size?

Despite extensive searching the only size I have been able to source is the 7mm, which is what I have used for years.