MintImperial’s Newbie WTF TK Build

MintImperial

On 11/26/2021 at 4:50 AM, gmrhodes13 said:

Should be able to just touch up those areas of paint.

Just make sure when you have it on your belt that you can see the O detail, many miss then when assembling ;) 

References below

66W22Oe.jpg?1   ENBGgGW.jpg?1 

Thank you. My TD does not look like that.

The O is very much on the top.

Not sure if it’s a function of the plate and tube (WTF) or the brackets (ukswrath).

But, no matter how I try to position it, the plate always sits with the O very close to the brackets.

Diameter of the pipe is 60mm (2.36 inches).

51703102692_f22309915a_o_d.jpg

51704790700_af7a95b866_o_d.jpg

51716728586_7ce2e6cdbd_o_d.jpg

51716987178_c09e144f18_o_d.jpg

I trimmed the plate to the apparent cut lines on the part.

I suppose I could trim something off the bottom of the plate next closest to the screws

so that the whole plate is rotated outward (downward?).

That would get the ribbed part to sit lower and the O to face outward instead of on top.

But I worry that the dimensions of the plate (around the circumference) would then be too short.

Currently it’s 90mm along the left and right edges.

Update on my magnet closures to keep the ab & kidney plates from slipping up and down:

51716800447_552afc7ac9_o_d.jpg

Once I’d got the positions right, the black ABS tabs were too straight:

51717602766_37bccfe9a6_o_d.jpg

So I got them super rubbery with a heating iron and pressed them into shape against the plates.

Then glued them into place with E6000:

51718260619_03b9bbeb5c_o_d.jpg

They hold everything in place really well, though I’ll still use the straps for security.

51717860578_3ec66330fe_o_d.jpg

51716800437_269460f26a_o_d.jpg

Edited by MintImperial

4 hours ago, MintImperial said:

Thank you. My TD does not look like that.

The O is very much on the top.

Not sure if it’s a function of the plate and tube (WTF) or the brackets (ukswrath).

But, no matter how I try to position it, the plate always sits with the O very close to the brackets.

Diameter of the pipe is 60mm (2.36 inches).

51703102692_f22309915a_o_d.jpg

51704790700_af7a95b866_o_d.jpg

51716728586_7ce2e6cdbd_o_d.jpg

51716987178_c09e144f18_o_d.jpg

Shortening the brackets will allow the plate to come around

This info is from @justjoseph63in an EIB application:

As seen in the reference images below, the plate on your TD needs to come down in the back.  The ribbed area should face toward the rear, with the O ring on or near the top.

Reference images

gc5DbML.jpg     xWVksau.jpg      oVCDXwV.jpg     v7oNJHp.jpg?1  sPmJWgl.jpg?2

Doing this is actually easier than you think, should take all of 10-15 minutes, and this is what I would suggest:

1.  Remove the clips and trim off the ends (as shown) with a hacksaw.

2.  Rotate the plate to where the ends meet the bottom of the plate (like you have it now).

3.  Drill new holes as shown.  You will have to drill new holes for the other screws as well.

4.  Re-attach the screws.

DONE!

BX5qCcS.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

As seen in the reference images below, the plate on your TD needs to come down in the back.  The ribbed area should face toward the rear, with the O ring on or near the top.

Reference images

Doing this is actually easier than you think, should take all of 10-15 minutes, and this is what I would suggest:

2.  Rotate the plate to where the ends meet the bottom of the plate (like you have it now).

3.  Drill new holes as shown.  You will have to drill new holes for the other screws as well.

DONE!

BX5qCcS.jpg

Thank you. I appreciate Joseph’s comment that it’s easier than you think.

Looking at the images alone filled with dread.

I guess I can saw through the ends, but the drill bits I have on my Dremel won’t be big enough for those holes.

I’m loathed to go out and buy a power drill just for that and there’s really no one I can borrow from here in Hong Kong.

Would it be possible to get basic approval with the TD as it look snow, then alter later for higher levels when I have the chance?

I’m getting to the point where lots of little things are going to bar me from the higher ranks (mostly due to lack of DIY skills and no space for a workshop).

1 hour ago, MintImperial said:

Would it be possible to get basic approval with the TD as it look snow, then alter later for higher levels when I have the chance?

I would think you would be OK for basic approval but that's entirely up to your GML.

Armor workshops are great for situations like this were you don't have all the tools required, but covid put a stop to a lot of those.

You could always reach out to your Garrison and see if anyone local could lend a hand.

• Like 1

I would think you would be OK for basic approval but that's entirely up to your GML.

Armor workshops are great for situations like this were you don't have all the tools required, but covid put a stop to a lot of those.

You could always reach out to your Garrison and see if anyone local could lend a hand.

Thanks, as always, for the advice.
Obviously, I don’t want to settle for basic and plan to aim higher.
But I’m also very keen to get into the club first!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Looking to push this over the line.
At least for basic approval first.

I want to reshape one of my shins a little.
When we talk about a hot water bath, are we talking boiling? Near boiling?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MintImperial said:

Looking to push this over the line.
At least for basic approval first.

I want to reshape one of my shins a little.
When we talk about a hot water bath, are we talking boiling? Near boiling?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi, in most cases I have seen here, it's boiling water for a few minutes.  

• Like 1

What I would do is to make a test with a separate ABS plastic piece.

Another method "the ninja style" is to use a Heat Gun , but this means to be very very careful to avoid melt. :salute:

• Like 1

Hot water bath is definitely more forgiving than a heat gun, a lot of practice is needed using a heat gun, you can go from almost moving to molten mess in a blink of an eye ;) 

• Like 2

Yes I’d need bigger cajones than I could fit behind my codpiece to try the heat gun method!

I’ve had pretty good success with a heat iron but I’m not sure it will work well on such a large area all at one time. Hot water seems like the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Also take note on Mario's references the coverstrip are aligned straight (vertically) in the middle of the thighs and not angled ;) 

On 6/4/2021 at 2:50 AM, MintImperial said:

To start off, here’s the E-11 from Kassaraptor that I’m working on on the side.

51223965615_f1c274a25c_k.jpeg

As I get closer to finishing my build, I’ve recently revisited my E-11.

Still not finished painting it yet

and I will be installing light and sound with TRamp’s BlastFX

but I finally feel that it’s well on the way.
51932544700_468e929c7f_o_d.jpg

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
On 9/20/2021 at 2:07 PM, MintImperial said:

]I accidentally painted my helmet at the weekend.

What I mean is, I hadn’t really psyched myself up for it and didn’t prep properly.

Was just toying with the idea of doing it. Next thing I know I’d painted the frown and so I just kept on going.

Still haven’t painted the tube stripes or the ear screws yet.

And I have a LOT of cleanup to do on the black pinstripe outlines on the tears, traps, etc., plus some other touch ups.

I also inadvertently pressed the vocoder up against my t-shirt while it was still wet, so I now have a great print on my shirt and a furry-looking underside on by bucket, which I will have to totally redo.

51495622329_5a6a8934d1_o_d.jpg

51495132633_c3d3e2f9a8_o_d.jpg

Hideously wonky lines that are way too thick. I may totally redo this using masking tape.

Have already started cleaning up some spills through the mask template, using a toothpick dipped in rubbing alcohol.

51495834640_5e3371117c_o_d.jpg

51495622289_3366c6e2a4_o_d.jpg

Hello. Been trying to get back to this build for so long and hopefully I’ll finally have som e more time.

But I’d like to know if my super thick black lines around the tears and traps would be approvable for lower levels while I work on other details to (hopefully) get me to Centurion.

Thanks as always for the advice.

8 hours ago, MintImperial said:

Hello. Been trying to get back to this build for so long and hopefully I’ll finally have som e more time.

But I’d like to know if my super thick black lines around the tears and traps would be approvable for lower levels while I work on other details to (hopefully) get me to Centurion.

Thanks as always for the advice.

I would check with your GML (garrison membership liaison) they look after base legion level approval, FISD only deal with L2 and L3 applications.

For me they are a tad thick in some places. Could also cleanup/straighten lines around the ears. In saying that as a GML I would pass as is.

51495622289_3366c6e2a4_o_d.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/2/2021 at 4:19 AM, gmrhodes13 said:

Reference images

DONE!

BX5qCcS.jpg

There was no way I could ever reshape UKSwrath’s amazing but meaty metal clips by myself.
So, in the end, I caved and bought a whole new TD from Troopermaster.

It’s O ring is clearly visible from the rear.
And the clips are much thinner, so should be easy to bend and tweak if I need to.
Only issue is that the ABS is very yellow compared to the rest of my armour,

so I’ve already bought some Armorwhite to see if I can bring it closer.

Photo reference shows O ring position, clips and colour vs the one that came with (and matches) my armour:

52666582813_689f12d9cf_o_d.jpg

Edited by MintImperial

Just a quick recap on my E-11 from Kassaraptor.

I had originally planned to install TRamp’s amazing BlastFX in it but I’ve somehow managed to short it somewhere while doing some soldering, so I’ll have to send it back to Paul to get fixed.
In the meantime I’ve ripped the light & sound guts out of a Disney Parks Stormtrooper Blaster that I got from Tokyo Disneyland and have installed those parts instead.

It’s still a work in progress.

52671289670_4d65584e8b_o_d.jpg

52670354397_debb6378a1_o_d.jpg

52670856401_2fce788d43_o_d.jpg

52671149589_055c700e2e_o_d.jpg

52670854031_3c23f6c8ea_o_d.jpg

52670853486_1ab202f131_o_d.jpg