Return edges on AP

I'm cutting my AP these days, and the return edges are at some places quite broad. It's not very comfortable to wear, and I wonder if I can take them down a bit? Look at this, f.ex., my back piece:

IMG_1035.JPG

The lower edge on my back piece is way broader than the rest of the return edges on the piece. Cut off a bit or not? Hmmm.

(Btw, the lower edge is not sanded or polished!)

If you ask me...sure. Why not? As long as you keep a return edge. Try taking of just a little at a time to achive a comfortable wear. I would at least do something like that, but that's just my opinion though. :)

if you need to trim the RE for more comfort do it. start by removing a 1/8" at a time. that adds up to a 1/4" in diameter. doesnt sounds like much, but you'd be suprised. remember, once its gone...its gone. the return edge makes the armor look "substantial" so try and keep it if you can.

• 2 weeks later...
if you need to trim the RE for more comfort do it. start by removing a 1/8" at a time. that adds up to a 1/4" in diameter. doesnt sounds like much, but you'd be suprised. remember, once its gone...its gone. the return edge makes the armor look "substantial" so try and keep it if you can.

I will ofc keep a return edge, I just want it to be the same size all around the piece so that it isn't that revealing that it's fake. ;)

i had those same corner edges on my AP...i just took an 80 grit sandpaper and slowly sanded em round to make it a soft curve. i left the full RE on the rest, just sanded off the corners basically, a little at a time, sort of like this:

-------------

plus remember when you wear it, since you are not made of wood or stone, heh, it will push into you a bit (not so much that it hurts, but i think you know what i mean)..so it will hide that its a fake edge.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

TK-6908 said:
i had those same corner edges on my AP...i just took an 80 grit sandpaper and slowly sanded em round to make it a soft curve. i left the full RE on the rest, just sanded off the corners basically, a little at a time, sort of like this:

------------

plus remember when you wear it, since you are not made of wood or stone, heh, it will push into you a bit (not so much that it hurts, but i think you know what i mean)..so it will hide that its a fake edge.

Hehehe, why didn't I think of that myself? :lol:

Thanks, mate!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

I have AP and reduced a number of the RE's to make it fit better and more comfortable. I found the other big edge to reduce is the chest plate where it overlaps the ab plate. I reduced the upper shin edges as well. Most people will never notice the RE so its a big deal. Only other 501st folks will look and not even most of them will notice it (excluding Daetrin who might pull out a pair of calipers and measure them LOL).