Bulldog44

Bulldog44 DVH E-11 Blaster Kit & Mixed Blaster Part Builds 2020

Original DVH E-11 Blaster Kit (2014)

yRraIan.jpg?1
SAXYIuc.jpg

Already started to build the kit but will try to record progress from here. I have a few other blasters in progress too made up from spare parts from Doopy, DDay and my own casted parts. I will update those blasters here as well. Stay tuned! 

The DVH kit came with a 40mm diameter pipe and the inner diameter was big enough for the bolt to fit inside. Unfortunately the 40mm pipe looks too big so I went with some locally found pvc pipe that measures almost exactly 38.1mm outer diameter. The walls of the pipe are too thick to fit the bolt so for this blaster the original DVH bolt will not be used. I might make a custom bolt plate or make a partial bolt cast that can be trimmed and glued in place. 

Other parts that still need some work are the t-tracks and the folding stock. The power cylinders are too big looking so I will not use the ones supplied with the kit. The scope and counter have some issues but I will use them anyway. In general most of the parts came very unfinished and required lots of trimming, sanding and re-shaping with epoxy putty. This was a new groundbreaking kit at the time being cast from original parts that still preserved the paint & patina finish. It paved the way for more accurate cast from original part kits and inspired me to have a go at casting original scopes.
Thought it was about time to break out the parts & bring this kit to life. 

Edited by Bulldog44
  • Like 3

Hi Brian, great to see you are running a new build thread again. :D It was about time. ;) This kit will be a challenging one, I guess. Looking forward to your next update and cannot wait to see, what you turn this into...

Following.

Hi Tino! Yes, well overdue indeed. I am out of space and excuses so this had to get started. Hoping to add a bit of history info on the development of the kits from DVH, DDay to the parts I am now slowly molding and casting in phases. 
For the DVH kit there are a lot of areas that require drilling out to get that realistic look but I think I might not go too crazy with this one and leave it mostly as it came. 
And about the bayonet lug flattened area on the receiver tube continued from this thread -https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/48391-sterling-smg-mk4-l2a3/?do=findComment&comment=704931  I believe you are 100% correct that the flattened area extends to the second hole. I only have the casting of the front end of the receiver to reference. It looks like it goes past the first hole but the front end was part I have is cut off slightly past the first hole so it’s hard to tell for sure. This is the only thing that seems to be incorrect on Andy’s template. I am not sure if this was intentional or a detail he missed. Maybe there variations on different era sterling’s. 
7QG0ASj.png
Just to keep an accurate account of the builds I didn’t use the temples seen above for the first 4 receiver tubes I drilled out. I used the e-11 temple found in the template section. Both templates are very close in comparison but I think Andy’s template seems to bit more accurate when using my DDay aluminum receiver tube as a second reference. 

Blaster #2 - Hybrid/ FrankenBlaster  (Local plumbing PVC pipe receiver)

Doopy parts: magazine well, possibly using doopy counter too

DVH/Dday parts: Folding stock

Magazine clip from Gazmosis

Additionally Bulldog Prop parts.
PXCclZo.jpg
The DDay folding stock was casted in 2 parts and really helped give that extra look of realism. I still need to add the folding arm pipe detail once I get the inside area drilled out. 
IUtcrzR.jpg
Next up, I still need to fix the bayonet lug flattened area to extend to the second hole on this receiver tube and all the other tubes I have in the cue. 

Edited by Bulldog44
  • Like 1

Here is a quick look at the 3 types of folding stocks I will be using for my blasters.

The top stock is the original one from the DVH kit; one full casted piece, non-moving parts 

The middle stock is from Phoenix Props kit. I am not sure if this was modified to cast into 2 parts from the DVH kit stock. It still has the old sterling paint in some areas so I think that is what this is from. Then Dday went with newer parts to cast from. I might be wrong about this so please feel free correct me. 

The bottom stock is casted from the paint stripped parts I acquired from Dday. 

Side View

OdBpn2O.jpg

Top View

ps1v6iK.jpg

Parts For Part 

Nvre49y.jpg

For the DVH and Phoenix Prop stocks I am working on removing the inner resin to fit in the folding arm tubing. The DVH stock is really interesting as it has all the paint texture and battle worn look & feel to it. Lots to clean up and patch but still fun to work on. Nice point about this stock is the hinge mount part is casted with the stock wishbone arms so its easy to glue onto the receiver tube & the outer hinge caps are casted into the piece.  The Phoenix Prop stock was a huge improvement from the DVH and Doopy stocks as it added more depth and detail by molding the handle part separately. No Need to carve out areas to make it appear like 2 parts. 

The stock I casted will have all the parts included. I have only molded the large parts so far but hope to start on the smaller parts at some point. The stock will be fully movable, lightweight but with the parts being plastic and very thin, I don't think it will be very strong and will eventually break.

:DJust fun to go from a static one piece stock assembly to a 1:1 part for part replica. 

Edited by Bulldog44
  • Like 3

My Phoenix Props kits a few years ago all had a one-piece folding stock, which (as far as I know) was cast from the cleaned Sterling parts set that you have now.

I always wanted to see (and have) a detailed resin folding stock. Yeah, it might break - but I would take that risk. :D

• Like 1

12 hours ago, T-Jay said:

My Phoenix Props kits a few years ago all had a one-piece folding stock, which (as far as I know) was cast from the cleaned Sterling parts set that you have now.

I always wanted to see (and have) a detailed resin folding stock. Yeah, it might break - but I would take that risk. :D

Interesting. I had a look back into Dday's posts and it seems he did cast the stock in 2 parts at first but then moved back to a one piece cast. So your stock is the newer Phoenix prop stock. https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/28047-phoenix-props-e-11-stormtrooper-blaster-kits-a-new-hope-and-esb/?do=findComment&comment=414476

This explains a lot as I noticed on the wishbone stock part I have the paint texture is still present as it was on the DVH stock. So he somehow casted the stock, cut up a few stocks  & separated the parts and recasted them. 

I understand why he did this now as it is very time consuming to cast all the parts, especially when you are offering blaster kits.. But like the scopes, I always want to have all the parts like the real deal. Not sure I will ever offer full kits but would like to try to cast all the parts and see how things stand from there. When that time comes I will certainly be interested to your feedback on the parts like you did with the scopes. ;)

3 hours ago, Bulldog44 said:

(...)   So your stock is the newer Phoenix prop stock.   (...)

That is correct.

3 hours ago, Bulldog44 said:

(...)   Not sure I will ever offer full kits but would like to try to cast all the parts and see how things stand from there. When that time comes I will certainly be interested to your feedback on the parts like you did with the scopes. ;)   (...)

Your work on the hollowed resin scopes was absolutely outstanding! Thinking of a full blaster kit with the same high level of details makes me want to start right now. :D

In other words: whenever you do this, I would be honored to build it.

Guessing I do then need an acrylic glass case not just for the scope, but the whole blaster, he? ;)

• Like 1

Thanks Tino for your kind words. Hope I can keep up the same quality as the scopes. Some parts like the stock and the end cap have proved very difficult to cast with out incident.  Even if they are not perfect parts I think they will be fun to assemble and patch up. Stay tuned!

• Like 1

Sorry no updates for the blasters but looking for information on measurements for the power cylinders. 

I am in the process of making my own set of power cylinders and looking to buy resistors that are located behind the main baseplate. I have read through Playfulwolfcub's info but can't seem to find the correct resistors to order. I don't want to waste lots of money ordering possibilities so if someone has the correct size I can refer to that would great. I think Usaeatt2 listed the specs on the resistors he used but it does not seem to guarantee the sizes when ordering. He said they were about 9.2mm in length? 

Any help here is greatly appreciated.