Wal*Mart Voice Changer

VacTrooper

OK this SUCKS.... :angry:

i bought this little amplifier from a halloween store (the one with the disk microphone), connected a 2.5" speaker via a wire on the outside (because i had been toying with it for a while, and thought the little speaker inside was too quiet...) and MASSIVE FEEDBACK!!!

(note, the little speaker on the inside doesn't produce a sound, the only sound that is produced is through the external speaker...)

this is the setup:

hGhzvUM.jpg

my speaker. it's fairly large, maybe too large for this setup. it's glued to a square of plastic, with foam surrounding it. i did this in a feeble attempt to reduce feedback...

MeELpbI.jpg

xz7j3eT.jpg

this is the amp/voice changer. it's of the halloween store variety... as you can see, i have 2 wires coming out, one of which is the speaker, and the other one is the mic...

9EP9IIj.jpg

this is the mic. it's the disk-type, i have foam on the bakc with velcro so it velcros to the inside of the helmet like so...

and there is foam on the front of the microphone to reduce feedbakc (WHICH IT DOES NOT!!! :( )

WdLDvI3.jpg

the fans tend to set-off the microphone, which make a blowing noice happen, and since noice is present, feedback occurs the instant i flip the switch.

SOOO>>>

here's how i tried to fix the problem. i ran through all the possiblilities....

1. are the fans causing the feedback? NO, removed the fans and the batteries, they have NOTHING to do with it...

2. is it the wire splicing job i did? NOPE, these are fine...

3. is the speaker too exposed? NO, i packed foam around the speaker, it does no good...

4. is the microphone too sensitive? NO, i put foam in front of the mic, but it did nothing...

5. try a different mic? MAYBE, i'll have to try this, i have a newton amp microphone, but it is not as distorted as the other mic...

6. try different speakers? MAYBE, i'll try this soon, perhaps my large speaker is too big for this setup, hence the requirement for speakers that would work better, such as the SR800RMS mini-speakers.

so, what i think i'll try is the other microphone... the only problem is it is not as distorted as the halloween voice-changer mic, so i wont get the effect. PLUS, the last time i tried this mic with the newtone setup, i got feedback, so we'll have to wait and see...

i thought it would be as easy as one two three, like smitty's set-up, BUT I GUESS NOT!! :angry::angry:

i will try the other mic, and see what happens, if this doesn't work, than off to the other speakers....

BUT if it does work, than CRAP, because then i won't have the distortion i need. what i really need is a mic that will give me the distortion i need, but is protected enough.............. i think that's impossible....... :(

i would LOVE to have the completely contained set-up, that's contained in my helmet. THAT would be nice. with a mic that's loud, and completely feedback-less...

ANY help would be much appreciated. :)

thanks.

I take it you are not using the speaker in the unit, instead you have spliced in a connection to another speaker? If so, I would first try to undo that connection and use the speaker that came with it. The device is pretty easy to disassemble, just be careful of pulling to hard and popping the soldered connections on the board.

Yes, you are correct...

BUT....

The point of doing this was to bypass that speaker, because it is too quite....

HOWEVER...

If the only way to get this to work is by that method, and NOT a self-contained system, (like Smitty's setup) then I'll go that route...

I'd like to have something similar to Smitty's setup.... a set-up COMPLETELY inside the helmet...

i did that with the newton amp, and people couldn't hear me too well, but i might try that with this one. chances are, people won't be able to hear me vey well...

what i think i'll do is buy some micro-speakers, and see what these do. hopefully, i'll find that equilibrium where the speakers are just loud enough to have a conversation with someone, but not too loud to get feedback.

i'll give these a try, and report back... OH! i forgot to test the other microphone...

looks like i'll have to:

1. test the other mic?

2. test the micro speakers?

3. test the backplate idea...

like i said, i'm trying to have it so my setup is comletely inside the helmet. i know it can be done, it's just a matter of tweakingit to get it just right....

hmm...

ok tried the other mic i have, and no good...

tried the back mount idea and got nothing different...

i think it's the sheer size of the speaker. it must be too big (emmiting to much frequency-wave-stuff) for the setup.

i ordered the micro speakers, (SR800RMS) to see what i can do with my original plan...

wish me luck i suppose. ;)

alright, here we go:

1S50vLy.jpg

nothing special here. just took the box apart, and glued the bits inside. the batteries don't tilt my bucket back too much, but this is because i have lots of foam in it...

Qvz3Mkr.jpg

the front. i put the micro speakers in my aerators, on the outside of the helmet, and behind the areas where the aerators go, i glued easter egg parts packed tight with foam. ZERO FEEDBACK.

OozVX9F.jpg

frontal view on the outside... blends right in, i love it! no foam or anything in the aerators, but this is a good idea for those stuck on feedback.

I also have a youtube video uploading a sample of the sounds from this thing. a few notes...

You REALLY have to pack and seap EVERYTHING with foam. also, be sure that any potential vibration in the system is eliminted.

Wire the speakers in parallel. this is what i did, and from my experience with 2-speaker set-ups, parallel is just fine.

Use a mic with LOTS of distortion. i mean LOTS. the crappier, the better! the one i have makes the static burst VERY easy to do!

I kept the multi-positional switch, just to mess with people during halloween, etc. you can replace this with a simple on/off switch by doing some very simple re-wiring. just take the wires on one end of the mult-position switch, ans solder them to one end of the 2-position switch. then, take the other end of wires on the multi-switch, and put them on the other end of the switch. JUST BE SURE TO GET A SWITCH WITH TWO ROWS OF METAL PRONGS! any, questions, just refer to this forum the info is around here somewhere...

Seal with a good glue/epoxy. you don't want this stuff falling apart on you. i used hot melt glue, on of my favorites out there...

Read up on Smitty's "Deal of the Day" topic. helped me out a TON!

Just waiting on that vid. will post when i have it up!

enjoy!

I just watched the video, sounds good. The static burst is pretty cool. :)

I've been itching to do this mod, especially with Halloween coming up and with it lots of opportunities to be out and about in my TK, I just need to find the time.

Great job dude!!! This reminds me I have to goto Wally World tonight to pick up batting helmets and a couple voice changers.

My battery compartment is mounted behind the vocoder in the chin. Does the mic pick up any noise from the fans?

Actually the Deal of the Day thread wasn't mine. Just another classic case of thread jacking on my part.

Great job dude!!! This reminds me I have to goto Wally World tonight to pick up batting helmets and a couple voice changers.

My battery compartment is mounted behind the vocoder in the chin. Does the mic pick up any noise from the fans?

Actually the Deal of the Day thread wasn't mine. Just another classic case of thread jacking on my part.

thanks guys...

hey man, you know what i mean....... not your thread.... you know what i meant, the one with you in it a lot.... :lol:

the mic picks up SOME noise from the fans. but the mic is close enough to the mic so that i can seal the mic with my lip to stop the noise...

i gotta go to bed... :blink: