HOW TO REQUEST: Armor trimming

I need to trim down some parts of my FX, since I'm a little dude! It's been many years since I made all my cool little models, so my hobby skills are long extinct. So humor me with this basic question!

Do most of you just use the old reliable Xacto and then sand the edge (and then give it a return with a hobby iron if you're hardcore... my iron is in the mail!) Is there a good "guide" to go by while trimming to keep the chest trimming even on either side? I'm thinking maybe just scotch tape a straight edge on top of the chest plate to where I want to trim down to on either side (especially to shorten the inaccurate "wings" that the FX chest has on the ends, going too far down relative to the middle of the bottom of the plate...) My biggest concern is making one side of the plate too short for the other. At which point I'll go back and do the other side again to make it even, and go too far.. so I'll go back and do the other side of the plate again, ad nauseum. Kinda like when I try shave my sideburns :D

I have the same concern about the thighs, actually.

Thanks y'all!

The way I'm going to do it is mark up what I want removed with a pencil, cut with a knife or Dremel, then sand a bit and finally give it thereturn edge with the iron.

I've thought a Dremel might be a good idea, but I find them so... intimidating. Just need to man up, I guess! Let us know how it goes. Thanks!

I've always scored it nice and slow with an exacto then bend and snap. Dremmel for touch ups only. Sand the edge smooth.

Ditto on that, really. Mark with a pencil and go forth with the knife and sand the edge afterwards. Works great.

I use tin sheers, or sharp scissors to cut ABS plastice (FX Armor) I find that hand held sheers give you a great deal of controll over your cut shape. draw a guide line with a marker, (though I've heard wax crayons are easier to remove) and follow the outter edge of the line, clossest to the excess you're trimming off so you have a little clearance incase you mess up. Sand the cut smooth.

On a related note: Anyone have any pics or advice on trimming the FX thighs and shin/calvs to shape?

The lowwer back of my thighs are so close together that the groove shape for the back of the knee is not vissable, it's just a horizontal line accross.

Also my ankles (wow I can't spell :blink: ) are to tight for my boots. the boots keep popping out of the shin pieces when I walk, causing the entire calve/shin to ride up and into the back of my knee (ouch) If I trim the bottom of the ankle I'll lose the flair shape bell. I could use a shim to widden the lowwer leg assembly, but the rest of the shin fits perfect.

Any help much appreciated :(

• 5 weeks later...

I use a bench grinder to cut my parts down to size

One of these:

-----

I tape lines, and then cut with the stone wheel. It works pretty well.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Also my ankles (wow I can't spell :blink: ) are to tight for my boots. the boots keep popping out of the shin pieces when I walk, causing the entire calve/shin to ride up and into the back of my knee (ouch) If I trim the bottom of the ankle I'll lose the flair shape bell. I could use a shim to widden the lowwer leg assembly, but the rest of the shin fits perfect.

Have you figured anything out with this yet... this past weekend i had the same issues... my new boots has a huge mouth and, like you, my boot kept pushing out... my quick fix was duct tape... i held the boot top closed around my ankle and a buddy took thin strips of duct tape and... taped them... it was a quick fix... for a more permanat fix i plan on cutting the back edge and adding a strap of velcro to pull the sides together... i havent really looked at it too close yet to see if it would really work but it sounds good to me... this was one of those moments early in the morning when you wake up before your alarm goes off and you just lay there thinking of things... waiting for the alarm to go off...