Jump to content

Recommended Posts

So after attending and handling a handful of troops with me, my wife quickly got the trooper bug. We went through some options and ultimately landed on the Legacy TK but she thought we'd have to wait for a bit to order her kit. I told her we could at least order her boots first, little did she know I had ordered the kit pretty much as soon as she firmly decided on a Legacy.

 

The boots arrived quickly from Imperial Boots:

 

46685885184_600846456a_z.jpg

 

And then the BBB surprise:

 

47409191311_717527f2df_z.jpg

 

We quickly dived into pretrimming the kit and I started on some finishing work on the helmet, for some reason I really enjoy starting builds with the helmet.

 

Frown trimmed:

 

33533322378_09dd8c3584_z.jpg

 

And then eyes:

 

46685884974_875b9e4aa3_z.jpg

 

Then I started with fitting the left ear. Following the guides/dimples in the helmet for the screw placement resulted in the lower screw landing in mostly dead space, like so:

 

33533325298_91b45ecbd2_z.jpg

 

So I clamped the ear down and drilled a new hole that caught both sections of the helmet. And then trimmed off the excess ear piece:

 

46493925375_266f8b9386_z.jpg

 

One ear down:

 

33533325988_0b927eac46_z.jpg

 

The goal is to have this kit done for MegaCon at the end of May, so we'll see!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right ear is now done. Following the drill guides in the helmet would have resulted in a large gap as it placed the ear too high on the helmet to meet the tube properly. So I held the ear in place to reduce the gap and marked my own drill holes. It did drop the top of the ear away from the brow trim but the ears were trimmed according to their trim outlines, so it might be wise to leave a little extra material/flare on the ears. I accepted the asymmetry with my own TK so I'm ok seeing it here too.

 

I also went ahead and fit the neck trim and next I'll be fitting the lenses. Then it all comes apart to paint the inside & outside of the helmet.

 

40470456703_cc578cfdc3_z.jpg

 

40470456723_0c4640afb2_z.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great stuff Eric:duim: And lucky you for getting your wife in on the Trooping:)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, TheSwede said:

Great stuff Eric:duim: And lucky you for getting your wife in on the Trooping:)

Thanks Daniel! Trust me, I know! :) This is one of three costumes she has in the works right now, but it is the only armor.

 

Got the lenses trimmed and installed last night:

 

32500634937_3d12ae63f8_z.jpg

 

47442399371_287b430352_z.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome! Following

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Continuing on, I've been trimming parts where possible, except where needed for sizing purposes. Got the torso all cleaned up:

 

33589612598_00128979a4_z.jpg

 

Decided to attempt assembling the front of one shin. On my first round I was fitting the pieces together using tape, I taped the inner cover strip to one side:

 

47465826261_d144453416_z.jpg

 

And then I taped on the other side and checked for gaps, sanding/dremeling where necessary to get an even, straight line:

 

46550465935_be1df4866c_z.jpg

 

However, what I recommend for test fitting these parts instead of just tape is using the clamps and magnets that you'll be using during the gluing process, the fit between the two methods is quite different. Below is the final joint on this shin, you can see at the very top that the gap opens up just a bit. It was a perfect fit with tape, thus my suggestion, but fortunately it will be hidden by the knee.

 

47465837471_fdc1480d4d_z.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still just trimming parts as time allows. I did go ahead and coat the interior of the helmet with Plastidip so it will have time to cure and stop smelling. Like my own TK bucket I gave the finish a rough texture, this helps with any adhesion needs.

 

40563781843_7d72f67eaa_z.jpg

 

I also painted the frown & vocoder and installed the hovi tips:

 

32587358477_0b604b6c52_z.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice job on the ears! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, LTM said:

Nice job on the ears! 

Thanks Lou!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trimming may never end... But I did finish the helmet!

 

46660506535_54ab9843b4_z.jpg

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...