Question about kidney plate connection

1st question, probably the most obvious one I already know the answer to:  Should the curve of the chest plate match up with the bottom edge of the kidney plate, the area near my ring finger?  I am guessing that should line up.

2nd question:  Can I overlap the chest plate over the kidney plate, or should I trim the kidney plate to go butt to butt against the chest plate?  I am not going for Centurion, and just connecting them with snaps and straps.

8v5QfOW.jpg

Hi Ron,

Looking good so far. :-)

1st question, probably the most obvious one I already know the answer to:  Should the curve of the chest plate match up with the bottom edge of the kidney plate, the area near my ring finger?  I am guessing that should line up.

I’m guessing you’re referring to the parts I’ve marked in yellow:

b44729b2e32bf0210bcbac158ea91069.jpg

Personally, I would leave it how you have it. If you tried to straighten that edge (ie perpendicular to the floor) you’d be losing valuable material off of your chest plate and it might end up looking a little small. This angle can vary from armour maker to maker, but also depends on ones chest size. What you have looks good so far.

2nd question:  Can I overlap the chest plate over the kidney plate, or should I trim the kidney plate to go butt to butt against the chest plate?  I am not going for Centurion, and just connecting them with snaps and straps.

The chest overlap is great. Don’t try to butt them up against each other - you want a good overlap like you have.

You mentioned Centurion - don’t be afraid to set your sights high. By the looks of it, you have a good body shape for a nicely fitted armour so Centurion should be well within grasp for you as you wouldn’t need to shim the sides etc. Obviously, it’s totally your choice (however it does feel nice to get that Centurion certificate )

Keep up the good work.

Best wishes

Dan

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rzill said:

https://imgur.com/a/nNauI0v

You got some perfect advice from Dan there, Ron.  You can trim the kidney plate right at the blue line shown, just make sure the top of the kidney is raised a bit to match the edge of the ab plate.

You seem to be a detail oriented guy, and as Dan mentioned your armor looks to be fitting you very well (especially the posterior plate/kidney connection) so I would definitely consider taking this armor to at least level 2 (Expert Infantry) after basic approval!  (The blue dots are a rough idea of where the rivets go, hint hint).;)

If you haven't already done the strapping on the back/kidney connection, I would bring that in a bit as well.  Keep up the great work, and be sure to ask any more questions you may have.  We are here to help!

VQzAYmP.jpg?1

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CableGuy said:

Hi Ron,

Personally, I would leave it how you have it. If you tried to straighten that edge (ie perpendicular to the floor) you’d be losing valuable material off of your chest plate and it might end up looking a little small. This angle can vary from armour maker to maker, but also depends on ones chest size. What you have looks good so far. emoji1303.png

The chest overlap is great. Don’t try to butt them up against each other - you want a good overlap like you have. emoji1303.png

You mentioned Centurion - don’t be afraid to set your sights high. By the looks of it, you have a good body shape for a nicely fitted armour so Centurion should be well within grasp for you as you wouldn’t need to shim the sides etc. Obviously, it’s totally your choice (however it does feel nice to get that Centurion certificate emoji6.png)

Keep up the good work.

Best wishes

Dan

Thanks, Dan!  I would love to have the skills to go Centurion, but honestly, I am absolutely the least handy person in the history of tools.  My arms and legs are probably already closer to Sandtrooper level than TK Hero Centurion level.  However, I do thank you immensely for the advice and encouragement.  :)  

8 hours ago, CableGuy said:

Hi Ron,

Personally, I would leave it how you have it. If you tried to straighten that edge (ie perpendicular to the floor) you’d be losing valuable material off of your chest plate and it might end up looking a little small. This angle can vary from armour maker to maker, but also depends on ones chest size. What you have looks good so far. emoji1303.png

The chest overlap is great. Don’t try to butt them up against each other - you want a good overlap like you have. emoji1303.png

You mentioned Centurion - don’t be afraid to set your sights high. By the looks of it, you have a good body shape for a nicely fitted armour so Centurion should be well within grasp for you as you wouldn’t need to shim the sides etc. Obviously, it’s totally your choice (however it does feel nice to get that Centurion certificate emoji6.png)

Keep up the good work.

Best wishes

Dan

One other thing, Dan.  I actually misspoke... actually, mistyped.  I know that can overlap, but I mistakenly called it the chest plate, when I meant the AB plate and the kidney plate overlap.  Someone else already said I need to butt join those two, and that was the question I meant to ask.

4 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

You got some perfect advice from Dan there, Ron.  You can trim the kidney plate right at the blue line shown, just make sure the top of the kidney is raised a bit to match the edge of the ab plate.

You seem to be a detail oriented guy, and as Dan mentioned your armor looks to be fitting you very well (especially the posterior plate/kidney connection) so I would definitely consider taking this armor to at least level 2 (Expert Infantry) after basic approval!  (The blue dots are a rough idea of where the rivets go, hint hint).;)

If you haven't already done the strapping on the back/kidney connection, I would bring that in a bit as well.  Keep up the great work, and be sure to ask any more questions you may have.  We are here to help!

VQzAYmP.jpg?1

Yes, I do have another question - just to clarify.  The part I circled in orange - that is what I need to close in a little more?  I was worried about that, and it is already snapped.  Another member told me it was fine, but I'd like it to look better.  I can take those snaps off relatively easily and move them to make that a tighter fit.  I am guessing that could make everything else move up, and I've already snapped the cod piece and tail bone together.  However, that might be a bit loose, so moving up the kidney plate might actually work better anyway.

https://imgur.com/a/x7B5Bm0

16 minutes ago, rzill said:

Yes, I do have another question - just to clarify.  The part I circled in orange - that is what I need to close in a little more?  I was worried about that, and it is already snapped.  Another member told me it was fine, but I'd like it to look better.  I can take those snaps off relatively easily and move them to make that a tighter fit.  I am guessing that could make everything else move up, and I've already snapped the cod piece and tail bone together.  However, that might be a bit loose, so moving up the kidney plate might actually work better anyway.

I should have explained that in a little more detail, Ron.  This is the gap I was referring to:

Reference photo

DPXIgBG.jpg                 QUDQqUx.jpg

Thanks, Dan!  I would love to have the skills to go Centurion, but honestly, I am absolutely the least handy person in the history of tools.  My arms and legs are probably already closer to Sandtrooper level than TK Hero Centurion level.  However, I do thank you immensely for the advice and encouragement.    

Ah ha. In that case, just follow where Joseph marked.

dcfa2d46ae2b198d54901fc9663d03c3.png

You want those two parts right up against each other, but not overlapping. :-)
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, justjoseph63 said:

I should have explained that in a little more detail, Ron.  This is the gap I was referring to:

Reference photo

DPXIgBG.jpg                 QUDQqUx.jpg

Yeah, that's the one I was concerned with, as well.  You were clear enough - I just like to double double check!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Commander Gree said:

you really shouldnt be fitting your armor without your under suit on. shirts and any other clothing arent going to allow you to size the armor properly. Just my advice 

Thanks  :)  I actually have been putting on just the undersuit for fitting - I just got lazy this time when I wanted to take a few photos.  The gap is the same in my t-shirt or the suit, so it's all the same - but, thanks for the info  :)

On 7/15/2018 at 10:37 AM, rzill said:

One other thing, Dan.  I actually misspoke... actually, mistyped.  I know that can overlap, but I mistakenly called it the chest plate, when I meant the AB plate and the kidney plate overlap.  Someone else already said I need to butt join those two, and that was the question I meant to ask.

Since you've been so helpful, I wanted to ask another question - the first of many more I'll have in my stretch run between here and making my helmet.  I have adjusted the snaps to close the gap between my back and kidney plates, and I'm waiting for the glue to dry.  In the meantime, I am trying to finish my thermal detonator.  I'm about to drill the holes for the screws.  I know that I need to use the correct size bit, so that the screw grips the tube.  However, is that going to hold, or should I put a little glue around the screw to help it stay in place?

On 7/15/2018 at 10:41 AM, rzill said:

Since you've been so helpful, I wanted to ask another question - the first of many more I'll have in my stretch run between here and making my helmet.  I have adjusted the snaps to close the gap between my back and kidney plates, and I'm waiting for the glue to dry.  In the meantime, I am trying to finish my thermal detonator.  I'm about to drill the holes for the screws.  I know that I need to use the correct size bit, so that the screw grips the tube.  However, is that going to hold, or should I put a little glue around the screw to help it stay in place?

Hi Ron,

Personally, my thermal det is held on with just the screws. No harm in adding a little E6000 though if you want to be extra sure.

Here’s a nice reference pic for positioning of the clips (right up against the end caps) and the screws, just in case you didn’t have one.

cdc288c8bdeb614c5bc3e430c7aec31a.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CableGuy said:

Hi Ron,

Personally, my thermal det is held on with just the screws. No harm in adding a little E6000 though if you want to be extra sure.

Here’s a nice reference pic for positioning of the clips (right up against the end caps) and the screws, just in case you didn’t have one. emoji1.png

cdc288c8bdeb614c5bc3e430c7aec31a.png

Thanks!  Your's aren't touching the end caps.  Are they supposed to be a little off of the caps?

Thanks!  Your's aren't touching the end caps.  Are they supposed to be a little off of the caps?

Hiya
That’s from the reference gallery - screen used, I believe. It might be the lighting but that is up against the end caps. :-)

• Like 1