Inner Cover Strips

All,

I am in process of building my AP armor. I have everything trimmed but haven't started gluing yet because I am waiting on my magnets. When I do start assembling I am wondering what pieces (none, some, all?) should have inner cover strips. It seems to go either way with a lot of build threads I have seen. Some people have them on all parts, some have them on a few, and some don't seem to have them at all. Do parts without the inner strips hold up well? I can't seem to find any discussions on them, so I am hoping someone can provide some recommendations.

Thanks!

Inner cover strips will provide more strength but is not always needed.  At the very least, you will want inner cover strips on the shins (front of course) as this piece gets flexed a lot during dressing and undressing. 

I found with the AP kit that there is enough cover strip material to put inner cover strips on everything, if desired... and if you didn't scrap too much material (I oops a few).  I also put inner cover strips on my thigh pieces as this made it easier for assembly (in my case).  I haven't put inner strips on my arms, but probably will since I have the material.  Better safe than sorry, right?

If you are good about rough sanding the glued surfaces first and you used an adequate amount of E6000 - you should be good with just the outer strip in most cases.  Also, note that there is a good and bad side to the cover strip material.  One side is whiter and shinier than the other.

• Like 1

I found them very useful on my shins as they are constantly opening and closing, I did add everywhere else on my build but it was pretty much overkill, nothing else has moved so far.

• Like 1

Just remember, they don't have to look pretty... (no-one sees them and it will not affect approval at any level.  I would go at least 20-25 mm wide on the inside strips for the calves.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I put inner cover strips on all my pieces (AP kit, so I had plenty of material to do so). I figured I had spent so much money on this project that I might as well make each piece as strong as possible. It actually made lining up the outer cover strip and gluing it nicely much easier as well (I did the inner strips first)

Joseph's right, they don't have to look pretty!