DStep's ANH stunt TK build (ATA)

DStep

This is how it looks when used. This is a Hasbro voice changer so the colors are and you can see the difference. It will also be very glossy.54102b3844640a5e86030a851396b145.jpgd017115d95023ca172fc47f14649d6da.jpg

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This is how it looks when used. This is a Hasbro voice changer so the colors are and you can see the difference. It will also be very glossy.54102b3844640a5e86030a851396b145.jpgd017115d95023ca172fc47f14649d6da.jpg

OK glad to know it'll dry glossy. I wasn't sure if I would need to polish it after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 3/30/2018 at 9:13 PM, DStep said:

OK glad to know it'll dry glossy. I wasn't sure if I would need to polish it after.

You'll probably still want to polish. Once it is applied and dried, you will probably want to sand the pasted area back down (wet sanding with fine grit sandpaper) so it is flush with the rest of your armor. The fix will be far less noticeable that way. Once you're done sanding you will want to polish the area so you get the nice gloss back. Novus polish is great for that phase. 

• Like 1

You'll probably still want to polish. Once it is applied and dried, you will probably want to sand the pasted area back down (wet sanding with fine grit sandpaper) so it is flush with the rest of your armor. The fix will be far less noticeable that way. Once you're done sanding you will want to polish the area so you get the nice gloss back. Novus polish is great for that phase. 
Yup all of that and I need to do this still. The anovos kit isn't all that shiney anyways.

• Like 1

OK great, thanks for the tips!

Made a little more progress...the biceps and shins are trimmed/cleaned up and the inner front cover strips are on.

6eb72a47cc81c3c2637e65b3d44dc7cc.jpg5041394f480e9102ef23770d2e805fd8.jpg

I also have the body trimmed and ready for the brackets. I'll post pictures of that soon.

• Like 1

Here’s the front & back of the body with the brackets installed. 059b0b47a487944c757bb9f33359599e.jpge02f87f2d6114e01a18e5e17dbf1f5e5.jpg
37368768abfb200824690c2346e57d3c.jpgb406429bec216e14cbb56bff065e94c0.jpg

I noticed the return edges on the kidney and posterior flare out. Should I heat them and bend them to clean up the seams?
92a223e271dd34398c55fa75994cb965.jpg
fdcabe098b0bba71963ce2990217f293.jpg

I’m also wondering about the snap that will go on the right side of the ab plate. Isn’t the chest supposed to cover the snap? I’m not sure about installing the snap.
03d775f530604be5dd8e7240442ad0a5.jpg

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That snap won't necessarily be covered by your chest piece, although it might be if you're an especially skinny trooper. You can see that snap on Han's suit below.

sOsp6lt.jpg

And here it is on my own suit. This was one of my approval pics.

YWlEdCF.jpg

I would try to bend those returns to make them more flush and eliminate that gap. *insert obligatory heat gun warning here.*

Edited by Neb Sgird
  • Like 2

[quote post="605642"
I would try to bend those returns to make them more flush and eliminate that gap. *insert obligatory heat gun warning here.*

I've run into some slight issues with the heat gun on my right forearm. Gonna have to reshape my back shoulder straps soon.

OK thanks Ben, I adjusted those return edges.

Hey Rat, yeah I’ve been scared to try a heat gun, so I’ve been playing around with hot water baths.

Here are pics of the body with a test fit. I think cleaning up the return edges came out nice.

b598c78db3001104f141affa8e98fce0.jpg866dd3e2c4446e4801cf1255b133b095.jpg966fa77e50338b6779d1b0a0db18ed3e.jpg9e90b56aaab463639645be620717f7c1.jpgdbfce2f7234dd2e8f98309a2585f9783.jpgc98cfb9240e35ebda7626f44b72dcbef.jpg

OK, so here are my questions:
1) This fit feels great at the bottom, but I notice the chest sits pretty high. The neck line is pretty snug against my throat, but it’s not uncomfortable. I’ve trimmed it back to about 1/8” return edge. I’m not sure if I should remove all off it.

2) I also noticed that there’s just a small gap between the shoulder tabs on the chest and back. Should I drop the front and back lower to allow more room for the length of the shoulder straps?
There’s also a formed crease across the shoulder tabs on the back piece (I’ll post a pic soon). I wasn’t sure if that was a trim line, so I left it and it makes the shoulder tab longer.

3) In general, the armor feels pretty big/roomy right now. I’m 5’7”, 165lbs...about a 32 waist. Should I trim more off on the kidney and the ab, where they connect? This would bring it in tighter, but I’m thinking it would throw off the notch that I still need to cut out at the bottom front of the kidney.

I think I’m at a point where this part of the build will help determine the placement of the shoulder bells and thighs, so I’ll wait until I get some feedback.

Thank you all for the help so far!

• Like 1

OK thanks Ben, I adjusted those return edges.

Hey Rat, yeah I’ve been scared to try a heat gun, so I’ve been playing around with hot water baths.

Here are pics of the body with a test fit. I think cleaning up the return edges came out nice.

b598c78db3001104f141affa8e98fce0.jpg866dd3e2c4446e4801cf1255b133b095.jpg966fa77e50338b6779d1b0a0db18ed3e.jpg9e90b56aaab463639645be620717f7c1.jpgdbfce2f7234dd2e8f98309a2585f9783.jpgc98cfb9240e35ebda7626f44b72dcbef.jpg

OK, so here are my questions:
1) This fit feels great at the bottom, but I notice the chest sits pretty high. The neck line is pretty snug against my throat, but it’s not uncomfortable. I’ve trimmed it back to about 1/8” return edge. I’m not sure if I should remove all off it.

2) I also noticed that there’s just a small gap between the shoulder tabs on the chest and back. Should I drop the front and back lower to allow more room for the length of the shoulder straps?
There’s also a formed crease across the shoulder tabs on the back piece (I’ll post a pic soon). I wasn’t sure if that was a trim line, so I left it and it makes the shoulder tab longer.

3) In general, the armor feels pretty big/roomy right now. I’m 5’7”, 165lbs...about a 32 waist. Should I trim more off on the kidney and the ab, where they connect? This would bring it in tighter, but I’m thinking it would throw off the notch that I still need to cut out at the bottom front of the kidney.

I think I’m at a point where this part of the build will help determine the placement of the shoulder bells and thighs, so I’ll wait until I get some feedback.

Thank you all for the help so far!
1. I keep throwing that back and forth as well for the same reasons.
2. Yes that line on the shoulder you're wondering about is most likely a cut line, but a picture would be helpful.
3. I would leave it. You don't want to have to start making new return edges.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DStep said:

If it works for you then I would leave it as is, the neck seal will help with some discomfort as well, otherwise you have 2 options: 1# cutting the neckline 2# lowering the chest.

2 hours ago, DStep said:

As long as you can fit the shoulders in the right location it`s only a plus to have shorter elastics making them less likely to get pulled out by shoulder bells.

2 hours ago, DStep said:

I´d say trim from the kidney only and there`s no need for a notch unless you really want one. However you don`t have to trim, looks pretty good as is but I agree it would look even better on you with a tighter fit.

Keep up the good work:duim:

• Like 1

D'Angelo,

Without your undersuit on it's really hard to tell if your torso is actually high enough, it looks like it might be too low in the back.  The back plate neckline looks really low.

I had the same issue with the chest riding too high.  I was caused by the brackets and elastics.  I ended up swapping out for some straps with adjustable buckles.  This will allow you to lower the chest.

24858821589_c1a997bcea_c.jpg

• Like 1

OK thanks for all the help guys!

1. I keep throwing that back and forth as well for the same reasons.
2. Yes that line on the shoulder you're wondering about is most likely a cut line, but a picture would be helpful.

Here’s the shoulder tabs on the back. I guess it does look like I need to trim to those lines.
1d631bf6e09e21bad4e1dbc6d1f19f37.jpg

I´d say trim from the kidney only and there`s no need for a notch unless you really want one. However you don`t have to trim, looks pretty good as is but I agree it would look even better on you with a tighter fit.

Keep up the good work:duim:

Yeah I think I’m going to remove all of the return edge on the neckline of the chest. I’ll try the next test fit with the neck seal on also.

D'Angelo,

Without your undersuit on it's really hard to tell if your torso is actually high enough, it looks like it might be too low in the back.  The back plate neckline looks really low.

I had the same issue with the chest riding too high.  I was caused by the brackets and elastics.  I ended up swapping out for some straps with adjustable buckles.  This will allow you to lower the chest.

24858821589_c1a997bcea_c.jpg

I’ll make sure to wear my full undersuit on the next test fit. I adjusted the taller brackets on the chest. They were pointing towards the back of the armor (because of the angle of the return edge) and I ended up bending them until they were pointed up (up against the inside of the chest). It made a big difference in lowering the chest down to the ab.
3dee96decad286bb36c1047bdcca6f1b.jpgbfc30b52c68fe7bad0c161a3c5b80aca.jpg
Time for a test fit and I think this will help bring the neckline on the back piece up higher.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Also, your chest bottom return edge looks a little thick, I’d recommend taking a mm or 2 off.  Mine’s about 8mm.

OK got it, thanks Daryl! I’ll clean that up too.

Also, your chest bottom return edge looks a little thick, I’d recommend taking a mm or 2 off.  Mine’s about 8mm.
I had the opposite issue with doing the brackets, that I didn't have enough return edge for them.

I had the opposite issue with doing the brackets, that I didn't have enough return edge for them.

Yeah I left more on at first, just to make sure there was plenty for strength. I've got it trimmed down now.

Yeah I would say that those tabs should definitely be trimmed off.

OK gotcha, thanks Rat!

Here’s testing fitting #2. I’ve made these adjustments:
-on the chest piece, removed all the return edge on the neckline and trimmed more on the bottom by the ab
-trimmed the excess shoulder tabs on the back piece
-cut the notch on the bottom of the kidney

09a4d03fa5f18896860dc30f872e993e.jpg99033a664c0895719b20435e3158f759.jpgac9b7a9f0bf628134d1088c410a8a31f.jpgea2fcdd373a02b6c348c8fb929f6b257.jpg4e3ef15555f31854db8c15b6cd71fa26.jpg4a1a87540ee3b149d30379a55cc02565.jpg

Unfortunately, it’s pretty uncomfortable around the neck...on the verge of a choking feeling. I later tried stuffing the chest to pull it away from my neck and it helped a lot, so I can put foam in there if this fit looks right. I also tried widening the gap between the shoulder tabs on the chest and back, but I think it drops the back piece down a bit.

Any thoughts on any other adjustments that should be made?

I would recommend lowering the chest to make the neck more comfortable.  Try the adjustable strap technique I posted above to lower it.  It will give you more flexibility.

• Like 2