GF007 First TD Build

GilFran007

Okay, a picture is worth 1000 words ;).....apologies in advance for my daughter's unsightly bathroom but it's the only full length mirror in the house:

06SfbQS.jpg?1

Here is where the ridges are pretty much flush with each other:

8cUIlsN.jpg?1

And the shot of behind the knee:

aoEejt3.jpg

To me the thighs feel like they are the right height..... but it looks like I need to trim approx. 1.5" (minimum) from the bottom of the shins.  What do you guys think?

7 hours ago, TheSwede said:

Can you post a pic with just the shins on? To me it looks like it’s the thighs that need trimning/comming up more, can’t tell for sure so that pic would be helpful:)

And a shot with your knee bent a little, if possible.  It does seem like the thighs are sitting low on your knees but it is hard to tell.

thanks for the input folks.  Based on what I can tell, the thighs maybe sitting just a tad low, but the shins were way too long for my shorter legs.

From what I've read thus far, trimming the top of the thighs, and hence, the return edge was more of a last resort than a first step.  As my knees make it past the bottom of the piece, I figured that the adjustment should come from the shins.

I looked at how the shins fit on my calves and see that the top of the armor is at or above my knee cap....placing the TD sniper plate over that would put the plate in and around the bottom of my quad.  I slowly started trimming the shins to drop this level down and hence position the plate where it should be.....as well as give myself better mobility.  In the end I trimmed about a hair over 2" from the bottom of the shins.

I think this will work.   I will post pics soon to show how everything lines up. 

• Like 1

Happy to report that trimming the shins did the trick!  I did a test fit with shins, thighs, and torso.....I thought the build was on point so far.

Once I receive my new canvas belt for the redo, I will post pics of a 'pre-deployment TD' to get your comments :)

• Like 2

Just wanted to share this while I'm waiting on the final piece for my TD build.

Firstly, all the guns in the background are airsoft and not real steel.  If they were, I would have my firearms license revoked for not storing them per Canadian law.

Secondly, take a look at the barrel build for my T-21 blaster.....noting the position of the underside barrel clip. 

wYKeBva.jpg

I've always been good with 'measuring twice and cutting once'......but this time it got away from me.  I used gorilla glue crazy glue gel for the first time so there is no mulligan with this.

This totally ruined my Sunday :(

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, GilFran007 said:

Don't know where else to post this....RS is having a Star Wars day sale!

Picked up a helmet kit for 165 GBP shipping in!!!

Better move fast.... There are only 20 available.... Well 19 at the most now......

Speaking of putting things on a guy's radar.  :) 

• Like 1

Thought I'd post an update with respect to my T-21 3D printed blaster from TK421 Propstop.  I'm quite pleased with the results..... kudos to Ollie for such an awesome product.... and also helping a brother out when he glued parts upside down :(

Here's my Jawa killer :)

JQbkfoO.jpg?1

1MrtONL.jpg?1

EofEAsl.jpg?1

I'm planning to upgrade the sling swivel and the strap to the Enfield rifle straps in the future...... but first, to finish the armour :)

Edited by GilFran007

Nice work! I use a inner cover strip on the front of my shins and haven't had any problems with them. Only been 6 months and about 7 or 8 troops, but they don't seem to be in any danger of coming apart. 

4 minutes ago, shashachu said:

Nice work! I use a inner cover strip on the front of my shins and haven't had any problems with them. Only been 6 months and about 7 or 8 troops, but they don't seem to be in any danger of coming apart. 

Hi Sha Sha,

I'm not following?  Did you reply to the right thread?

13 hours ago, GilFran007 said:

Thought I'd post an update with respect to my T-21 3D printed blaster from TK421 Propstop.  I'm quite pleased with the results..... kudos to Ollie for such an awesome product.... and also helping a brother out when he glued parts upside down :(

Here's my Jawa killer :)

JQbkfoO.jpg?1

1MrtONL.jpg?1

EofEAsl.jpg?1

I'm planning to upgrade the sling swivel and the strap to the Enfield rifle straps in the future...... but first, to finish the armour :)

Nice!  That makes me want to get going on mine! 

• Like 1

Ah oops I was responding to this post but didn't notice it was from March. :) "My concerns is with the clamshell design of the shins.  In my construction thus far, if I pry open clam shells with the hinged end just glued via a cover strip, there is a tendency to rip the entire piece in half/pop the cover strip off."

Ah oops I was responding to this post but didn't notice it was from March. "My concerns is with the clamshell design of the shins.  In my construction thus far, if I pry open clam shells with the hinged end just glued via a cover strip, there is a tendency to rip the entire piece in half/pop the cover strip off."
Gotcha....I put strips on both the inside and outside of the shins... Allowed the e6000 to cure for three days and they were rock solid after that :)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

blue wire around the tube greeblie on the barrel?  And be sure to dirty-up the sling.  Looks great!!
I never liked that blue wire on the top of the barrel :(. I'm at the mercy of the GML on that one...

Thanks.... Can't wait to see what you're gonna build brother :)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk