Straight coverstrips?

Your best bet for cutting cover strips is to have the following:

2 clamps

a metal straight edge at least as long as the longest cover strip you are cutting

a SHARP razor knife

Once you are sure you have a straight edge on one side, measure the width you need... i.e. 15 mm, 20mm, etc.  Clamp the straight edge firmly in place on top of the ABS using a hard surface (like a table).  CAREFULLY and SLOWLY run the knife along the cut line, pressing straight down.  Repeat this step several times in a row, making the cut a little deeper each time.  After you have cut about half way through the thickness of the ABS, you should be able to bend and snap it off along the cut line.

Note:  Be sure to do this on an old table or workbench, as it will get scratched.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

Your best bet for cutting cover strips is to have the following:

2 clamps

a metal straight edge at least as long as the longest cover strip you are cutting

a SHARP razor knife

Once you are sure you have a straight edge on one side, measure the width you need... i.e. 15 mm, 20mm, etc.  Clamp the straight edge firmly in place on top of the ABS using a hard surface (like a table).  CAREFULLY and SLOWLY run the knife along the cut line, pressing straight down.  Repeat this step several times in a row, making the cut a little deeper each time.  After you have cut about half way through the thickness of the ABS, you should be able to bend and snap it off along the cut line.

Note:  Be sure to do this on an old table or workbench, as it will get scratched.

Thank you Justjoseph63!  Is there a shape to the coverstrips at either end?  I saw a pic on the forums before but now I cannot find it

2 hours ago, StrmTRPR85 said:

Thank you Justjoseph63!  Is there a shape to the coverstrips at either end?  I saw a pic on the forums before but now I cannot find it

You are very welcome, Jeff!  All of them should be flat at the ends.  The exception can be on the tops of the thighs, where they can conform to the contour.  Below is a set of screen used thighs so you can see what I mean.

5NHq1HI.jpg?3

7 hours ago, StrmTRPR85 said:

Should the edges be rounded sightly at the ends of the forearm and bicep coverstrips?

Edges as in corners? if so then yes they can, it is advised to round the point of the corners off so they don't catch on your undersuit, or cause armor bites

1 hour ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Edges as in corners? if so then yes they can, it is advised to round the point of the corners off so they don't catch on your undersuit, or cause armor bites

My bad I should have been clearer.  But yes I did mean the corners.  Thank you!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, StrmTRPR85 said:

My bad I should have been clearer.  But yes I did mean the corners.  Thank you!

As Glen mentioned, the corners can be rounded a bit, but don't go overboard.  A little fine grit sandpaper will round them off enough to keep sharp ones (especially on the wrists/biceps back of the thighs) from snagging your undersuit.  Other places are up to you. Below is an example on a screen used thigh showing "rounded" corners.

YmsOz08.jpg?1