Question on rear thigh trimming/cover strips

imperialbrewer

So I’ve got the front cover strips attached to the thighs and after waiting for the E6000 to dry I did a test fit with masking tape to help hold them to fit my thighs. I’m concerned because the tops have a 30mm and 40mm gap to accommodate my thigh size, yet the bottoms I’m bringing in by about 20-30mm each. I didn’t do any unnecessary trimming in the back — I only took off the wrinkled material left from the pull, enough to make a relatively straight line.

So I’m pretty sure that I’m going to need to put in a reinforcement strip inside on both legs, but is a 50mm cover strip just out of the question, or is this normal for some?

Advice? Thoughts? What would you do?

41463cabd2200369980e3e22e109141e.jpg

60a6764e4cb9f6bafdeed2a1636710ca.jpg

7f936b1a43a7bab6acd8a6974ad2b2f2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

This may sound like crazy talk but you may need to add a fill strip and fill the gaps with ABS slurry. Then sand smooth and put the proper size cover strip over the top for aesthetics. Potentially a lot of sanding. It sounds like you have one of the smaller kits.

9 hours ago, Zugor said:

This may sound like crazy talk but you may need to add a fill strip and fill the gaps with ABS slurry. Then sand smooth and put the proper size cover strip over the top for aesthetics. Potentially a lot of sanding. It sounds like you have one of the smaller kits.

Yeah, I ended up doing that. There were a couple of guys at RWA Creations' Facebook page that were quite helpful in steering me towards this direction.  It was a major pain in the butt — it took about 11 days out of my build to get it from huge gap to relatively clean surface — but in the end it was a pretty good learning experience.  Were it not for the saving grace of putting a cover strip on the back, I think it would have taken a lot longer to hide my crimes (so-to-speak).  It seemed no matter how much I filled-sanded-buffed, there was always this discoloration that I just couldn't get rid of.

Here's a photo from relative start-to-finish:

noETsZrixx4up4tsQ2ZqDgaNzaw0zuihLzbKvqlg