Tom's DoopyDoos ANH E11 WIP

Congratulations on your BBB day - and the latest build progress.

I like what you have done with your power cylinders. Why not giving it that final touch and shaping the backplate to type A? It's not too late. :)

Who are these people and what did I get myself into? There are so many incredible builds going on here...

The comment about "working model" is true, this thing is SO detailed. Big ups!
Cheers mate! There really are some incredible builds out there, I'm not sure mine qualifies as one by a long shot, but they've certainly inspired me to go the extra length! And I wouldn't even have got half this far without the help of all the other guys, you won't be alone, so big thanks to them!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Congratulations on your BBB day - and the latest build progress.
I like what you have done with your power cylinders. Why not giving it that final touch and shaping the backplate to type A? It's not too late.
Will have a go at that today! ;)

• Like 1

Will have a go at that today!

Woop! How's this looking Tino? Think I've pretty much got Shape A... need to fill a few bits, was tricky already having the resistors attached4408d2e674cac4ccd01f59389ebeea92.jpg5767a3f92e4429bf568ec577f6c37c6e.jpg3ef2647f1483be06fffe9d266974b78c.jpg

• Like 2

Very good Tom.

The thin area in the middle of the backplate (where it gets close to the 3 central capacitors) is always a bit tricky. But you still have the option to fill that with green stuff before painting.

Power cylinders looking good already.

• Like 1

Very good Tom.
The thin area in the middle of the backplate (where it gets close to the 3 central capacitors) is always a bit tricky. But you still have the option to fill that with green stuff before painting.
Power cylinders looking good already.
Yep, got that fillled last night. Will give it a little sand down later and it'll be ready for painting!

• Like 1

This beauty arrived today!

It was clear that customs had been poking around the package though, just glad it made it through!

It looks like it's been taken off an actual Sterling, not one that was used for... well.. what guns are used for I hope lol. It's covered in thick grease at the moment, so will need a thorough clean up before I can get to work on it. Can always apply a little wd40 later if need be.

Will have to work out how to get detach the part between the 2 prongs... maybe just take a hacksaw down the middle? Could probably even use the original bolts then too (though they wouldn't go all the way through)e5e1d45592758d52e008603dcd4ddfd6.jpgd24bc5d9b8034f0ce37210a546d2a462.jpg74209e6f05bf80cf2963c21921bd3f71.jpg

Congrats on getting this nice piece. It will surely make a great addition to your build. At the end of this chapter you can find a way to install it on your full resin blaster.
Brilliant mate! Will have a look at the link later ;)

Managed to clean it up a bit, it's easier to give a bath to the cat! Lol1056206ece2d6b4cedba3cced04ac39b.jpgbd344521318e2d9ee0aae2349d9a0953.jpg

• Like 2

Hey there Tom - great progress. The weight and functional aspects of your folding stock with add loads of realism to your blaster - happy for you.

If you don't know already, I think you and Ardyjo had sourced the same functioning folding stock, check out his WIP:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dracotrooper said:

Hey there Tom - great progress. The weight and functional aspects of your folding stock with add loads of realism to your blaster - happy for you.

If you don't know already, I think you and Ardyjo had sourced the same functioning folding stock, check out his WIP:

Thanks, Jesse! Yep, that's the same stock from Apexgunparts. Thanks for the link too! Hardest part will be getting the received tube part off, seems punkkass11 had similar problems! Managed to get mine cleaned up well with some very soapy water though :)

• Like 1

Alrighty, over one hurdle and onto the next. So I've managed to get the receiver tube part off... with great effort! Lol. There are little pins which hold the bolts in place, thing is, they are tough to get out. The first was easier, I lined up a nail with the pin and hammered it till it stuck out. Still couldn't get it out with pliers from there, so tried drilling through the hole. This worked for the first one and I got the pin out eventually, but wore down the drill bit completely on the second!

After about an hour with the dremel I finally got it off :) hurrah!

Problem now is where the front latches on. The barrel on the Doopies is thicker on the inside than I suppose an actual Sterling is, so latch can't fit it.

Wondering how I can reduce the thickness so it can hook on. The depth on the latch itself is probably only 4 or 5mm.

Also, if I do manage to reduce the thickness on the inside of the barrel, how well it support the weight?

Any thoughts/strategies would be much appreciated! ;)681eef4c3850aff278006456a68c9852.jpg7347d48d6d79a4f3bd46c2dcf5c460b3.jpg73bc4a7aaf453f1439b43742ad7946f9.jpgfb25e09f585bc58d718fa47d60516bd9.jpge947f632ec590c98cfcb1d8ead5bcead.jpgb3f3905450a2909307dd1587203431ce.jpg

Is the latch removable? If so, how is it attached to the folding stock inner rod? Is it threaded? If so, perhaps extend via aluminum rod? My two cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ahh see this is why I need you guys! Hadn't thought of that at all lol Will take a look tomorrow. I was thinking I could chop the end of the barrel off and work from the inside, perhaps add a little aluminium lip for it to latch onto.

Your idea is a much more sensible start though!

• Like 1

In examining SMG references, latch removable but not threaded...

dfb4ca5b66339fae3cd8e8a44693ce29.jpg
Yeh, I took a quick look earlier at the reference. Can't even work out how to remove the latch, not without busting the thing up!

I'm thinking maybe a can chop into the barrel, something like shown in the picture below, to get enough space to work... Will have to work up some courage to do though first haha4bed633fb98b336ed05b23bbf0f7d62a.jpg

So I've gone for it... and success! Chopped the end off the barrel (which I'll reinstall later) and filed out the inside to thin the area where it latches on. Also had to reshape the slot itself and widen it a bit, but all hooks on well now and feels fairly sturdy (hoping I'm not speaking too soon here lol)

So having extended it I also needed thin down the sides of the end cap so the stock can cook on there too.

Now just got to sort out one of the prong bolts, and stock should be done!89e7ced7e8502236cde131be6bfa52d1.jpgbe754722789f0724bf03a8db5c7b838e.jpgdaa73eac4865f2f8147fd9eec2955723.jpg738b296c58e5bdcc336be75c4a13a8c1.jpg0941bc6c961f8a585d656fe4e35c6386.jpgfffe113edeb322c3b4196fe7fcd8634c.jpg2d39aa07f45e94819065f0e78db16573.jpg

• Like 2

Wow, that’s looking superb. Great work on your scope, too. Matched brilliantly with the genuine stock. :-)

Thanks buddy! Yeh was wondering how well it would match up with the black, think it matched alright, though still a little hard to tell at the moment. I think I'll give the stock a coat of the clear matt along with the rest.

Actually, could I ask what parts you attached before painting? Did you attach the end cap clip before?

• Like 1

Thanks buddy! Yeh was wondering how well it would match up with the black, think it matched alright, though still a little hard to tell at the moment. I think I'll give the stock a coat of the clear matt along with the rest.

Actually, could I ask what parts you attached before painting? Did you attach the end cap clip before?

I attached the aluminium channel, but painted the clip itself separately. Near enough all parts were separate, ie trigger, power cylinders, end cap, grip, trigger guard, mag. Basically everything. :-)

• Like 1

I attached the aluminium channel, but painted the clip itself separately. Near enough all parts were separate, ie trigger, power cylinders, end cap, grip, trigger guard, mag. Basically everything. :-)

Awesome, cheers dude!

Lol thanks Tino! I'm glad it worked too! Was a bit risky but I didn't have any better ideas. And actually, your work on scopes (where you cut the end off to install the lens) was what encouraged me to go for it!

In the process of 'bandaging the wound' at the moment lol ad1bc519617c6bae8b5d0f2f35413703.jpg

Lol thanks Tino! I'm glad it worked too! Was a bit risky but I didn't have any better ideas. And actually, your work on scopes (where you cut the end off to install the lens) was what encouraged me to go for it!

In the process of 'bandaging the wound' at the moment lol ad1bc519617c6bae8b5d0f2f35413703.jpg

• Like 1

Not much progress of late as I've been waiting for some replacement aluminium for the bracket (broke my last piece), though this has apparently gotten lost in the post, and I'm now awaiting a replacement for the replacement :/

In the meantime, I've bandaged up the barrel end that I butchered. Glued it on with epoxy to start, but then had to build it back up a bit with green stuff to hide the cracks and also replace the depth that was lost through actually cutting it off.

Hours of careful sanding later I've got the shape back! You can also see the reshaped slot here for the stock to latch onto, bit more of a lightbulb shape noweb3efbf9efde2167a109a21adf04a0e9.jpgc0d7612047406f9250feaf2ccbaa31d7.jpgaddc2b5a8d2e46013f9adbf5f11a95a1.jpg1f67553e619b564231cb84f31b285fd6.jpg

• Like 3