Jump to content
ShadyP

ShadyP's FOTK built thread (Backstage Props - preorder FOTK)

Recommended Posts

There is also BSP (back stage props) and Anovos if you want to wait and wait and wait


Ha, I cancelled my Anovos preorder and switched to Mimic. I may be doomed and the universe may not want me to be a FOTK. We’ll see. I may sell off all these soft parts and just start on Chewbacca. Decisions are hard.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm also ditching the MIMIC run. At the rate he is going, I will probably have completed my Anovos preorder before he gets the molds done on the rest of the armor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cordaite said:

I'm also ditching the MIMIC run. At the rate he is going, I will probably have completed my Anovos preorder before he gets the molds done on the rest of the armor.

I agree.  I'm partially kicking myself for pulling out of the Anovos order.  I absolutely love my anovos ANH TK.  I got on their very fist offering back in 2015 and when they actually ship their products, I find them to the best available.  Mimic is probaby the same - if and when he completes this it will be beyond compare.  

 

I feel a little bad about how Mimic's run derailed over the last few weeks.  With you included, there are 7 known members of the run requesting refunds with another 2 on the fence.  That is just about half of his project.  On the plus side, the other half might get their gear faster.  On another plus side, KB Props says he has a 4-5 week wait for kits and has a proven track record to back that up.  I just need my paypal claim to finalize to I can send it off to someone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah. Until I've got another set of armor in hand, I'm not letting go of the Anovos (probably still won't and just sell it to a garrison member). Based on the new photos, MIMICs put some work in since the photos I saw in mid Sep when I joined the run, but it's not ~5 months of work. It may be great, but the constant delays, lack of updates, lack of photos, etc. set my alarm bells off. I'll be surprised if the run continues as it sounds like he's running his margins rather tight based on the comments on being "bankrupted" by people leaving.

 

I'm probably going to move to Jimmi's kit.  I looked at KB but based on what I'm seeing in build threads on here, the definition in many of the details looks to be softer than I'd like. A couple garrison members have orders for FO TK armor from KB, so I'll wait to see it in person before pulling the trigger.

 

Honestly, if I had the time and money, I'd go Chewie. I've seen lines for Vader and R2 just shrivel up when he's out at a troop.

Edited by Cordaite
grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ShadyP said:

I agree.  I'm partially kicking myself for pulling out of the Anovos order.  I absolutely love my anovos ANH TK.  I got on their very fist offering back in 2015 and when they actually ship their products, I find them to the best available.  Mimic is probaby the same - if and when he completes this it will be beyond compare.  

 

I feel a little bad about how Mimic's run derailed over the last few weeks.  With you included, there are 7 known members of the run requesting refunds with another 2 on the fence.  That is just about half of his project.  On the plus side, the other half might get their gear faster.  On another plus side, KB Props says he has a 4-5 week wait for kits and has a proven track record to back that up.  I just need my paypal claim to finalize to I can send it off to someone else.

Unfortunately many promise and don't deliver and whether it be coincidence or not the timeframe to request a refund from paypal generally ends up being exceeded.

 

It does derail threads but sometimes it needs too, if a prop maker won't answer pm's, emails and facebook messages there are no other options.

 

Hopefully you will receive a refund soon, good luck.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope I get my money back, past my dispute I sent a request in PayPal. Found it odd he was using Sara Watson can't even use his real name but sneaky is that?

 

But yeah I'll probably go KB they are close by and KB went out of his way to PM him and promise to help me out when I get things sorted out. Good hearted dude for sure, if I had more time on Vegas trip in March I'd stop by and say hello.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, heartstopper85 said:

I hope I get my money back, past my dispute I sent a request in PayPal. Found it odd he was using Sara Watson can't even use his real name but sneaky is that?

 

But yeah I'll probably go KB they are close by and KB went out of his way to PM him and promise to help me out when I get things sorted out. Good hearted dude for sure, if I had more time on Vegas trip in March I'd stop by and say hello.

KB messaged Mimic?  I guess I should mention to them that my group from VT is switching to him from Mimic, tug on those heartstrings a little bit.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KB messaged Mimic?  I guess I should mention to them that my group from VT is switching to him from Mimic, tug on those heartstrings a little bit.  
No kb hit me up directly i have tie pilot and am in a few groups he is in

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, heartstopper85 said:

No kb hit me up directly i have tie pilot and am in a few groups he is in

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
 

I talked to KB a little bit yesterday.  He seems like a upstanding citizen and I've already advocated to our local build group for his kit over the fiberglass one from Jim.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our Vermont buid group received our refunds from Mimic last night ending that part of this never ending FOTK timeline.  Paypal requires up to 7 days to actually move the money to our accounts.  At that point we'll be putting in an order for new kits.  I think our plan is to go with KB kits, but we are still discussing it.  

Is anyone familiar with how PayPal handles the difference in exchange rates when issueing refunds?  Judging by the exchange rate when we paid, compared to the exchange rate when we were refunded, we could have actually profitted off of Mimic holding our funds for months.  If that is the case, we may need to communicate with him and rectify that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exchange rates are fun, military folks will tell you all about hoping they the right time for checks overseas. Its still the same amount to him so I wouldn't worry about it, you gave him ex number of pounds at the time of transaction and he gave you ex number of pounds. Shouldn't be too much of a difference I don't think maybe a few bucks here or there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, heartstopper85 said:

Exchange rates are fun, military folks will tell you all about hoping they the right time for checks overseas. Its still the same amount to him so I wouldn't worry about it, you gave him ex number of pounds at the time of transaction and he gave you ex number of pounds. Shouldn't be too much of a difference I don't think maybe a few bucks here or there

If it was just a few dollars I wouldn't worry about it, but with it being a combined refund of all 5 of our kits, the difference is over $200 US.  I messaged Mimic asking what they know about the exchange process with paypal however I doubt I'll get a response.  Mimic most likely has be blocked at this point, and i'd have done the same if I were them.   

In hindsite, I was a dick.  However, I don't think the truth of the run would be known had I not been a dick.  I salute you and the others that opted to remain with him after the storm settled.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

back on track, somewhat.  I placed the order for a TFA kit from KB props today.  In 4-5 weeks, it'll be time to get busy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ShadyP said:

back on track, somewhat.  I placed the order for a TFA kit from KB props today.  In 4-5 weeks, it'll be time to get busy. 

Great news, looking forward to those BBB photos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to my KB kit I ordered end of November. I know he has had some tough times. I'm at 11 weeks now verses the 3 he said when ordering, I'm fine with that as he provides a good product. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure many of you have heard about the update from KB Props and his merger with another builder.  I'm on the fence about switching to pet-g and not waiting for his abs to arrive.  Kevin's new parter Hal told me all the positive characteristics about this new plastic, but I'm a creature of habit and I know how to work with ABS.  

Does anyone have any experience with armor pulled in pet-g? or in polystyrene, his 3rd option?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I built My ANH armor it was pulled in HIPS (High Impact PolyStyyrene) and while it has better details its harder to cut and has little to no flexibility to it. So you get more detail and less durability with it. Honestly now that I'm working with ABS I don't think I would ever go back to HIPS. Just my two cents for what it's worth.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Tee-Bowls said:

When I built My ANH armor it was pulled in HIPS (High Impact PolyStyyrene) and while it has better details its harder to cut and has little to no flexibility to it. So you get more detail and less durability with it. Honestly now that I'm working with ABS I don't think I would ever go back to HIPS. Just my two cents for what it's worth.

 

thanks.  The polystyrene being offered by KB Props now is way too thin for my taste.  The pulls look sharp, great detail, but it bends and curls like construction paper.  In my opinion, that's not armor.

 

I've decided to go with their 0.118" clear pet-g.  Kevin's new parter Hal posted a video of a FOTK thigh piece pulled with this plastic being painted.  It looks amazing AND switching from ABS will get this kit to me much sooner. 

Edited by ShadyP
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have KB's FOTK in ABS and I really wish I had the PETG option like you do. I would like the details to be a little bit more crisp... oh well. It's still going to look awesome 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing the test pulls in petg has me pretty amped to get this kit finally however the prototype from Backstage Props posted over the weekend has me second guessing again.  If they've really locked down a 1 piece yoke (more or less) and a 1 piece TD I might have to buy a second kit much sooner than I intended to.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seeing the test pulls in petg has me pretty amped to get this kit finally however the prototype from Backstage Props posted over the weekend has me second guessing again.  If they've really locked down a 1 piece yoke (more or less) and a 1 piece TD I might have to buy a second kit much sooner than I intended to.  
Have they given a price yet?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ilnino said:

Have they given a price yet?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
 

no and I'm not going to push them to. 

This is a beautiful design and the proprietary nature of 3d modeling is, in my opinion, to be respected.  If he's willing, I imagine he'll post publically.  I realize now that my post would have been better suited as a PM. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got a price... 

 

pre order is $699 plus shipping  otherwise its slate to be $780 plus shipping. pretty sure thats without a bucket... 

 

I want to see more of the BSP stuff but it looks great so far

 

 

back to KB's stuff!! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

goddammit.  

KB has announced that he's out of the prop making business and that all outstanding orders should look to paypal for refunds.   This was the 3rd Vendor I attempted to get FOTK armor from and I'm genuinely at a loss for what to do next.  Paypal is giving Kevin until 5/17 to click the buttons to return my money before they close it out for him and send me money back.  In these next 10 days, I need to decide whether to pursue another armorer or just cash out and put the money into a wookie (again).   Deja vu sucks.

Does anyone have more info on BSP?  I can't do fiberglass do to an allergic reaction so Jim's kits aren't options for me.  

KB closing.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah i read that this morning. Did BSB get back to you via message? They replied to me. My mates looking at going down the Diversity props route. They are doing fibreglass and abs.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...