Idea for hiding a speaker in armor

I've been checking out the forums and noticed a lot of you like to hide microphones and speakings in your armor for various reasons, and that some of you have problems with feedback. I saw a nice post where someone had hidden his speakers and batteries in the small boxes over either hip (I would have linked it but I can't remember where it was). I kinda liked that idea, but thought of another way to 'tweak' it further.

In A New Hope, Luke's Stormstrooper armor had a comlink on the left side of his belt. I don't think Luke would have had enough time to mod the clip to the belt for the comlink (unless I suppose he had glue and a loose clip about) so maybe this is common enough on Stormtrooper armor, especially since noone in the hallways looked at his belt and though, "Hey! Thats not part of the uniform!"

I figure that a microphone could be fitted in the helmet and the batteries in the hip boxes, and then the speaker could be put in the comlink. Then when you talk, the sound comes out of the comelink. Heck, find a way to wire in a radio and it'll be that much more realistic!

I dunno, this is just my brain thinking it knows things.

I kinda like the addition of the comlink to the belt, so I might have to do that myself when I get around to obtaining my own armor.

I have the ROM FX system and I mounted the speaker in the left pec of the chest piece and have the ROM FX board in the right pec with the power supply cord running over my right should to the back. In the back I have 2x 8 AA batter holders for a 12V system. I have a headset I bought at Best Buy plugged into the ROM FX so I can still talk though my system whether my helmet is on or off.

Neat idea, the separate headset. I can see it in your avatar photo.

I have to ask, and bear in mind I have only been looking into obtaining Stormtrooper armor and joining the 501st for the last FOUR DAYS (hadn't even heard of the 501st before that), but what are most people using the sound systems for, anyways?

I assume mainly for speaking through your helmet without having to shout?

I have also seen people using 'voice changer' boxes or something, as well as things to add static pops, etc.

At first I wasn't sure if I wanted to bother with putting sound in my helmet. But, after wearing it out in public one time around a bunch of kids, I quickly realized that me just kind of talking in the helmet really ruins the effect, and you can only pantomime so much. Also, it's very difficult to understand what you are saying underneath the helmet without so kind of sound system.

I went the cheaper route and paired the Wal-Mart special voice changer with a set of Stomper's great aerator speakers, and I think it sounds great and right out of the movies. So not only can I now be understood but I've also got that great theatrical effect too.

Yeah, I might have to go with aerator speakers, thats the other option I had been thinking of that I really like. Or maybe I'll do both and see which I like more. The nice thing is, since you have plenty of options on places to hide things (helmet, belt, chest) you could easily have BOTH (I would think) and just turn one off while using the other. At least until you decided on one better.

I want a comlink and a grappling hook on the belt anyways. EVO3 is working on a comlink, and he has a REALLY sweet looking grappling hook already.

I'll have to talk with my uncle whenever I manage to get my actual armor. He is an electronics engineer, I believe.

I have my Full size speaker from my rom\FX kit behind my chest piece just over my heart, if you watch the video on this forum thread it doesnt do half bad

--------

with the speaker I took a piece of 2in white industrial velcro and cut a piece to cover the whole front of the speak, both pieces. Then i cut a square in that section of velcro so the sound would not be muffled, while the kit is on it uses my chest piece to resonate the sound out, turns it to a bigger speaker with sound vibrations.

check out the first link or the second link and look at the video, it works very well and everyone can cleary hear me. But still not usable in a large crowd trying to reach some one 30 people away

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed