Need some "shimming" advice!!

Ragtooth

Hello all!

So I finally received my full "commish" RS ANH stunt armor after about a 5 month wait (well worth it, btw) and all fits well except for the torso.  Apparently it shrank during the arduous trip to the US from the UK ..... Ha! What really happened was that I couldn't shut my pie-hole during extensive business travel over the past 5 months and managed to gain some weight.  So since I'm keen to get into the 501st ASAP (and I don't want to wait 1-2 months to loose the weight), I need to install some temporary shims that connect the ab/kidney pieces so that at least I could get into the 501st and start my trooping career.  I still need to take the left side apart and try the armor on, tape, measure, etc. to figure out the exact gap on each side but I estimate up to a max 2" gap on each side.

My plan is to join the 501st at the basic level and eventually work my way up the certification levels.  So I don't want to make any changes to the armor (holes, permanent glue, etc.) as I know that I'll fit into it as it currently is within a few months.  I ordered some 4 x 24" shim plates from Trooperbay and have some other basic supplies (E6000, Velcro, etc)

So what I need is a method that:

1.  Will pass muster for basic 501st approval

2.  Looks decent,

3.  Is user friendly (easy to get in/out of) and,

3.  Is "reversible" in that it doesn't leave any permanent holes or doesn't damage the armor when removing as I'd like to shoot for Centurion level in the future.

The ab/kidney connections on the left side are 3-1" elastic strips attached to the armor with split rivets (3 on each side).  On the right side is the one elastic strip with a snap that's glued to the armor.  My apologies for not uploading pics.  I'm having some issues linking pics using Imgur.  As soon as I tackle that I'll link some pics.

Here are some of my ideas:

- My initial thought was to just cut out a 4" wide shim and use Velcro to attach it to both sides on each inside portion of the armor and be done with it!  I could cut down the shims as I loose weight and then remove the Velcro and adhesive all together.  My concern with this is that it won't give me much flexibility as I move and may damage the armor...

- Another idea, for the left side, was to remove the bands, rivets, etc. and to attach the shim on one side of the armor (kidney side?) using Velcro and then make holes in the shim and re-install the elastic using rivets and just attach the bands to the other side using the existing hardware.  For the right side, it would be a similar installation - I could remove the elastic band/snap (I think it was attached using E6000), attach the shim using Velcro, and then re-glue the elastic band/snap to the shim.

Correct me if I'm wrong but for basic 501st TK approval, having more that one "seam" on each side shouldn't be an issue (?)

Any pro's/con's to the above or new ideas! 

Thanks in advance!

You can have a gap to get basic approval. The gap needs to close up for Centurion. A 1/2" gap is acceptable for EIB. So get approval and get walking Trooper!:duim:

3 hours ago, magni said:

You can have a gap to get basic approval. The gap needs to close up for Centurion. A 1/2" gap is acceptable for EIB. So get approval and get walking Trooper!:duim:

Thanks but I still think that I need to make adjustments because the left side elastic will be stretched out and the right side will look wonky as only one elastic strip will be holding it. I know the belt may help but I think that'll look horrible.  Plus I'll be stressing the fabric, rivets, etc.

Edited by Ragtooth

The setup you have now should get you to EIB with no problem, Sergio.  You can always add a temporary Velcro connection to the right side below the single one you have now to prevent the "wonky" look.  I suggest adding a few snap connections on both sides eventually, as the elastic could pull away from the rivets at some point.

1 hour ago, justjoseph63 said:

The setup you have now should get you to EIB with no problem, Sergio.  You can always add a temporary Velcro connection to the right side below the single one you have now to prevent the "wonky" look.  I suggest adding a few snap connections on both sides eventually, as the elastic could pull away from the rivets at some point.

I forgot to mention that after basic TK admission, my next goal is to qualify as a HWT.   I already have all of the accessories plus the components to make the pack (without the antenna!).  My primary focus was to get the foot in the door of the 501st and go from there!

Anyhoo, since gaps are allow for the lower levels, I guess I was over engineering a solution for a problem that didn't exist!  What I'll simply do is just install longer elastic bands on the Left and Right sides.  I could cut them down as I get to "centurion" level physique!