Gaskets-FN Armour-Are they approval-able?

Jayben Kenobi

Title says it all. I purchased these gaskets a while back. Since my purchase I have seen, what I feel to be, much better quality gaskets being sold by members here on the whitearmor. I just wanted to make sure these gaskets are still approve-able. 

Pics-

img%5D 

img%5D

It's really a question for your GML (garrison membership liaison) some are harder than others on costume approvals.

I would say though that the ones you have the lines are very spaced out, also they don't seem to be very raised.

As noted, it's a GML call but I would not approve these in my garrison as GML, at least, for the reasons Glen cited.

• Like 1

I've seen many kits with these approved. Most from within the U.S. but some from elsewhere.

You can always contact Teresa (Soulart) if you want an upgrade.

• 1 month later...

So heres a Crazy question on this.  For the FOTK you have to get an under suit ~$65 US then also get the gaskets separately ~ $300 from Teresa which go over the under suit.  now your around $365.

Does anyone offer an Undersuit with Gaskets already Switched in?    

Reason why i ask is that if you look at the KillerSuits from ImperialBoots.com, they have the gaskets stitched in and appear correct for what would be visible while wearing a TFA TK and around ~$200 US.    So,,,,, couldnt we save the effort and money and go with one of these as an option?>

Im sure this was discussed before so apologies if ive missed the conversations. 

Andy

So heres a Crazy question on this.  For the FOTK you have to get an under suit ~$65 US then also get the gaskets separately ~ $300 from Teresa which go over the under suit.  now your around $365. Does anyone offer an Undersuit with Gaskets already Switched in?       Reason why i ask is that if you look at the KillerSuits from ImperialBoots.com, they have the gaskets stitched in and appear correct for what would be visible while wearing a TFA TK and around ~$200 US.    So,,,,, couldnt we save the effort and money and go with one of these as an option?>

Im sure this was discussed before so apologies if ive missed the conversations. 

Andy

Hi Andy.  It's Teresa with Geeky Pinks Phantastic Gaskets Each undersuit is based upon what each costumers personal preference is. I personally do not wear a one piece. I just cannot do it.

My custom made gaskets are $170-190usd.... Unless you are also referring to a custom harness, neck seal etc.... Which I offer as a full meal deal.....

No matter which gasket maker you go with, ( and all of us that make them, are really good and care about your costumes) you will still need some form of a harnessing system to hold your bits in place.

Regarding full shirts and one piece outfits, I have asked myself about this too.....

And as a seamstress, and an avid costumer, my response to myself ( and you) is this... (I've thought on this hard , for what may seem or look cool and reasonable, may not be practical .)

1. How would you clean it.... Without degradation of the gaskets... our bodies get brutal under that armor.... Breathability is always a concern for me, as not only do I wrap my body in a 2 piece suit,/ shorts and tank top and gaskets, but I also strap a canvas tent to my back. Ewww.... I troop for hours. Not minutes, like they shoot in the movies. I want my body as comfortable as it can be, and my armor not to shift nor move. When Fabrics get wet, what do they do.... Stretch. Lose shape...

2. Weight of armor attaching to a stretchy fabric suit... will the weight of pieces on different Fabrics rip out or weaken stitching? My answer is yes... 100% yes.

Constant removing of armor pieces off of a one piece suit will certainly wear it out much faster than a separate gasket. What happens when all your stitching comes undone... thankfully, I could fix that... but can all of our customers that buy our goods? Probably not, if you've asked us to create for you in the first place.

3. Now this is personal, I'd feel like a sausage. In casing. I think I'd feel squeezed, and if I ever thought I may need to use the washroom, my entire frigging suit of armor and wet undersuit needs to be peeled off my body. AND someone needs to help me... Again, SO much ewwww...

4. Cloth is not rubber... it will not last as long as rubber either. Ever. Sewing it onto a one piece suit, will lessen the life of the gasket. Or life of suit. (Cloth will not last forever regardless if it's in 2 pieces or more either) I want my customers to have them as long as they can. I'm sure Imperial Gaskets, Sister Margaret, and any other creator will want you to preserve them too. I can't speak for others, but I do know they put care and thought into their sewing too. We all want you to look the best you can, and be as comfortable as you can be, while looking amazing! I do not know about Imperial Boots suits, and again, we all purchase based on our personal wants and needs. I also bet they are amazing! And in NO way am I knocking their product. If you say they are killer, I trust that they are! These are just my own reasons or thoughts as a costumer and seamstress in response to your question.

5. How are you going to attach armor in place to be certain your armor stays in place. Are you attaching with velcro? Snaps? Strapping? Elastic? Where. How. Is it too much stress on the suit. Or gasket? Again so much of personal preference comes into play here for what you think will work best for your build.

The longest I've stayed in my ottk is 9.5 hours. Longest time in my Phasma has been 6.5. I despise armor shifting out of place. My gasket pieces are all separate. Spaced precisely where I want them for my body measurements. Velcro attaches to the insides of armor piece very securely. Each piece is separate, for minimal strain or stress to each gasket from armor pieces. Shorter the gasket piece, less stress and strain to it. (From a force and friction point of view) also, a single piece is easier to replace if needed, rather than an entire suit...

My harness is truly the foundation and security for my entire armor. Gaskets attach to it. Armor attaches to it. Nothing moves unless I want it to. Regardless what I have on for under clothes. Which sometimes is a pair of compression shorts mid thigh and a tank top or sports bra!

Have you marched Kilometers in a sweltering hot parade? It's deathly hot with my canvas tent on my back.. I honestly thought to offer a pair of shorts for the FO wearers... accurate looking, yet more functional. I just have my own set I've built so far.

HA... sorry if that was a bit too much info! but I have given this serious thought....

Our hobby is ridiculous to some, and it can be costly. OK... it is costly. But it is great.

Your questions are valid, and have mirrored some of my own.

Please feel free to message me with any concerns or questions you may have with anything I create. Or just costuming in general! I'm happy to respond honestly and openly.

Teresa

Soulart

TK 41307

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Extremely helpful Teresa and thanks for sharing.   Apologizes for the questions as this will be my first TFA build.   Much different enough from that of the OT Troopers were we just have the undersuit.

I also never thought about how would we wash it.  Plus im sure the CRL wouldnt nessasarly approve a single peice with gastkets sewn in.  especially for level 2 / 3 approval 

thanks so much for your help :)

Andy

• Like 1

Extremely helpful Teresa and thanks for sharing.   Apologizes for the questions as this will be my first TFA build.   Much different enough from that of the OT Troopers were we just have the undersuit.
 I also never thought about how would we wash it.  Plus im sure the CRL wouldnt nessasarly approve a single peice with gastkets sewn in.  especially for level 2 / 3 approval 

thanks so much for your help
Andy
No no!!!! Don't apologize for asking questions!! It's how we learn about things! I question things and people often. Including myself ;) (Teresa, why are you doing that... will this work... how do you create this to be better... how functional is this... does it look right?) I constantly question. I'm very literal. And an ocd detail freak... (not always a good thing)

I'm betting a one piece would be approved . Why not? If ribs were puffy, seams spaced the proper distance apart and looked like rubber gaskets, and were in the right places... had a good accuracy, it would be approved.

Level 3 for certain would be a rubber gasket. In special features Blu Ray version of TFA, you get to see Phasma without her chest armor on. There were great shots of the vest gasket/shoulder area. No one would ever EVER see the detailing in the construction as she covers it in her armor. But I now know it's there. And feel compelled to design and sew a new cloth set just like it. Just so it "looks" movie accurate. Though , no one ever sees it on screen.... The folds on the front of her cape.... It was detail heaven for me watching that. And certainly made me change things on my build.

Now that I'm talking about the movie, I think I should go watch special features again! HA!!!

T

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk