Thermal Detonator Question

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could answer a question about the thermal detonator white plate from ANH.   I understand that the armor for the sandtroopers was the "first run" of armor made for ANH and the armor you see in all the other scenes (attack on the Blockade Run and the Death Star) was the "Second Run" of armor made.

My question is how come the white plate used on the thermal detonators has ribs on the sides of the "Button" area when it was used on the sandtrooper backpacks but all the other shots (attack on the Blockade Run and the Death Star) it no longer has the large side ribs?   Are the type used on the sandtrooper backpacks ever seen on the stormtrooper armor thermal detonators?

81ed47614f.jpg81ed507de9.jpg

The original part used for the detail on the detonator panel was a plastic terminal barrier, so it's highly likely the plastic fins deformed during the vacuum forming process. Another possibility is they had more than one mould.

As a point of interest, I offer both versions ;)

• Like 1