Anovos build completed, time for the first fitting

drewconner

After almost 9 months of off and on work, I have completed my Anovos build.  My wife bet me that I wouldn’t finish it before Halloween, so I had to prove her wrong (and my 3 year old son is going as Vader).  I just tried on the full suit for the first time and I'd like to get some feedback.

The most obvious thing to me was that my thighs are way too big.  They didn’t feel so big when I was sizing them and trying them on by themselves.  However, after attaching them to the inner belt and forcing them up against the front of my leg, the oversize is apparent.  I'm seriously considering taking off the back strip and trimming them down.

Any other observations?  It's been a very long and rewarding journey, I can't believe it's almost finished.

30588287495_65346007ca_c.jpg

29956411774_171790b3ab_c.jpg

30588287225_ec9af1a691_c.jpg

29956411004_35393facd6_c.jpg

29956412394_33ff1b3342_c.jpg

Your thighs look a bit oddly rotated actually, which might cause the "too big" feeling. That said, trimming maybe 25mm off both in the back was what I had to do for mine to fit me nicely.

What's your size/weight if you don't mind me asking? The kit looks very good on you!

Also your drop boxes seem very oddly positioned... they should be in line with the edge of the belt face.

Edited by Alay

Helmet seems to be sitting very high, you have a large gap on the back of your neck

Calves are not closed properly

Belt too long

Belt being pushed outwards on left side, a problem with the armor meeting properly?

If a Stunt version holster should only have 2 rivets not 4

Belt boxes need to go further towards end of belt

I would put some foam in your shin to keep your sniper plate held outwards, it will hit your thigh as it is

Edited by gmrhodes13

I would replace the belt.. Since your going stunt, like Q mentioned above, there should only be two rivets (or Chicago screws). The belt sags a ton when your blaster is in there, so my advice is to replace that belt.

And pull off that plastic! ;)

Thanks for all the input.  The belt is stock Anovos and is too large for me.  I have ordered a new one from kittell and plan on replacing the cloth portion when it arrives.  I had just chased the kids around the house with the gun in the holster which had caused it to shift and I didn't readjust before the photos.

Your thighs look a bit oddly rotated actually, which might cause the "too big" feeling. That said, trimming maybe 25mm off both in the back was what I had to do for mine to fit me nicely.

What's your size/weight if you don't mind me asking? The kit looks very good on you!

Also your drop boxes seem very oddly positioned... they should be in line with the edge of the belt face.

I'm 5'11" and 135lbs, tall and skinny.  I tried on just the chest and thighs and tried to properly rotate them.  I was unable to get the thighs into a good position without them sticking out in the back (as can be seen in the fourth photo).  I'm going to attempt to pry off the back strip on each and trim them down a bit.

As for the helmet, I've pulled out the stock liner and added foam purchased from trooperbay.  Could the foam be too thick for me and causing it to sit too high?

30472422582_9473b24b75_c.jpg

Edited by drewconner

I'm a tad shorter than you, but similar in weight (125-130lb~), might be useful for you to check out the alterations I did to my thighs in my build... here.

I think your helmet might just be tilted forward rather than too high on your head. Is it fitting comfortable on your head? Where are your eyes sitting relative to the lenses?

Looking good Drew, looks like you've been given some good pointers.

BTW you look like a lizard shedding its skin lol JK. Talking about protecting the armor to the bitter end, that's commitment.  :D

I removed the cover strips without breaking (yay!) and then trimmed a total of 3cm off the top of each thigh (0 off the bottom, as they fit properly there).  After taping them closed and trying them on, they fit MUCH better.  I was very surprised how much easier they are to walk in now.  When the sun comes up, I'll sand them down and reglue the strips. I'll post more photos when complete.

As for the protective film, I've been holding off because I want to be able to peel it off the whole suit all at once when it is 'complete'.  Sort of an official unwrapping, if you will.

You can optionally blow out the top-back and bottom-back of the shins and thighs, respectively, to add more movement, which can help with things like dreaded stairs ;)

You're looking great dude. Awesome job.

I finished the thigh resize and they fit much better.  At work today we had a costume contest, and I couldn't resist but to bring it in.  Here's a photo a coworker took.

30328297530_1acdd3ed57_c.jpg

After wearing it for a couple hours, I learned that I need to add inner foam padding to keep the top of the rear/back part of the thighs from hitting the bottom of the butt piece.  When walking, they would collide and then make a popping sound as they slid past each other.  I also need to add it to the thigh/knee joint to keep the sniper plate in the correct position.  My kittles belt just arrive as well, so I can begin that transition.

I have two remaining questions.  First, I'm having issues with my shin closures.  I used the elastic hook method and they don't want to stay tightly closed.  Also, I'm having major issues getting them off once hooked.  I'm considering installing velcro for closure instead.  Would any of you guys recommend this?

Lastly (and regrettably), when I was removing my helmet I dropped it, :(.  I've polished it with Novus 2, then 1 and it helped soften the appearance, but it is still plainly visible.  Any tips on further repairing this?

29996454364_6aaec42019_c.jpg

30540112101_d3d9c050b9_c.jpg

• Like 1

Lastly (and regrettably), when I was removing my helmet I dropped it, :(.  I've polished it with Novus 2, then 1 and it helped soften the appearance, but it is still plainly visible.  Any tips on further repairing this?

I didn't notice until I looked deeply at the pictures. You should be fine. You can possibly ABS paste it if you are really bothered by it.