ABS and Molding

Hello there!

I am new to the forums and after scouring them I couldn't find how well ABS is to make molds of. I'm specifically speaking about silicone rubbers with fiberglass mother molds. It would be a great benefit to have them as a backup to make fiberglass copies of the armor in case of damage as well as to help out fellow garrison members.

One worry I have is that the silicone or resin from fiberglass accidently ruining the ABS piece. Some ideas to counter-act this are naturally some sort of release agent like PAM or Turtle Wax or vaseline. Even direct protection like Seran Wrap. All imperfections could be fixed on the fiberglass mold with some time, love and tenderness.

I'm a future TX and Vader, and if this mold plan goes well. I would deeply honored to be a TK. Thanks and I look foreward to trooping with everyone!

If you use silicone you will not have a problem with the part sticking. No release agents are needed. Fiberglass resin would be a different story.

Are you planning on duplicating a vacuum molded ABS part?

I may duplicate on down the road but currently its for backup. If I were to recast armor I would sharpen and modify the molds first. Depends on how much of a pain it would be. I would also like to mention the recasting would me for myself and not profit. This is only intended to make trooping fun and not a paranoia-fest/

How heavy is a fiberglass set of armor? I would prefer that for strength but the weight may be ridiculous. Also the idea of having armor that may also have a function just makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. :)

my armour is fiberglass and its a fair weight when stored in its box, i'd say about 7 or 8 kilos, but once its rigged up the weight is distributed evenly so i don't notice. and its nice and strong, very rigid which gives it a more armour like feel.

So I found and read the recasting policy and I understand and promise to abide by it, sticking to personal use only. I was afraid that I might my stepping on some toes or lighting some fires under people so I wanted to rectify that. I assume that personal use is ok and please correct me if I'm wrong.

(BTW: whitearmor.net is blocked by websense here at work because its under the "games" category. I used a proxy to get in but maybe an admin knows how to change that since this is no game, its a lifestyle!)

Recasting, even for friends and family is frowned upon. Armor makers aren't going to retire off the hobby and it takes alot most time, energy, and skill to bull armor than most people think. Also for the cost of materials alone you could buy a couple sets of the best armor out there.

Everyone thinks recasting is a cheap way to armor, but most that try quickly realize they just invested more money to get a substandard product.

BTW websense listed us as a game site, we have no control over that.

Is recasting for self and self repair frowned upon. I think that shouldn't be a problem but I've been wrong many times before. I agree now that recasting for friends and family should be frowned upon.

And that is unfortunate about websense. For anyone willing to risk it, Firefox, and use a proxy add-in. I used PhProxy-InBasic.

Then consider the idea gone. Should I feel the need for another set of armor I'll make my own molds, it would be a good experience and I'll be able to put some TLC into it. Thanks for the help and guidance. This will be my one noob mistake. That puts a lot of pressure on me when assembing my TX armor though lol

Seriously, thank you and I hope to be trooping with you guys soon. I should be getting my TX armor tomorrow and I'll post some pics somewhere here. I've also been working on my vader and you can find info there at the 501st sith lords site or at the Sith Training Temple.