Glue question for Anovos build

Max Rebo

Thanks to everyone who has uploaded detailed build threads for Anovos stunt armor.  I have been pouring over a bunch of them, and they have been super helpful as I worked on trimming all my pieces.  I am now to the gluing stage, but I haven't seen any detailed discussions of how to clean the excess glue off of the armor.  Since this is my first build, I plan to use E6000.

In some of the build thread pics I have seen, there is a bit of excess glue that has seeped out from under cover strips.  I haven't begun gluing yet, and I wanted to ask about this first.  I assume the first tip is just to be careful and avoid putting too much glue on in the first place.  But I imagine that some will seep out because of the pressure from magnets and clamps.  What do I do about this?  Specifically, should I try to clean this off right away while it is still wet, or will it pull off easily and cleanly when it is dry?  Do you use any cleaners or solvents to get this off?  Are there any tools that work especially well to take this stuff off?

Thanks!

Hey Peter! Welcome to FISD.

I used E6000 in my build as well.

Try to wipe off the extra glue be fore try. Even then you'll still have some glue that will be left over. To get rid of that glue just rub it with you finger. Or take some of your plastic trimming and use that to rub it off. This is the nice thing about E6000, if you make a mistake or mess up, it will come off completely. :) Don't worry about using any solvents or tools other than the ABS, you want to avoid damaging the armor. 

Cheers!

Edited by T K
  • Like 1

I agree.  My first choice is to clean up while it's still wet.  Then, after your 24 hours is up (but not TOO far after, so it hardens too much), use your finger to rub at it and pick it off.  Most should pull off cleanly.  If there is stubborn stuff you can't get, I like to rub with a white rag, which eases the wear and tear on your fingertips.

Barring that, a guitar pick actually makes an excellent removal tool. :)

If it is really stubborn after drying, you can also (carefully) use a razor knife.  With a steady hand, cut along the seam, and like Kalani and Aaron said, use a piece of plastic or your finger to rub it off.

Here is another hint since you are still in the gluing stages...   Take some of the extra ABS pieces that you trimmed off and cut them into interior cover strips, especially for the inside front of the calves.  That area gets a lot of wear and tear from opening/closing them, and this will provide additional strength.  They don't have to be pretty, as they will not be seen, and will not affect approval at any level.

• Like 1

Aaron, Kalani, Joseph--thanks for the quick replies.

Kalani, your build thread is one of my favorites.  It has been really helpful as I work my way through my own.

And Joseph, I live in Clermont.  With any luck, I will be joining up with Makaze soon.

• Like 1

Glad it's helpful, Peter!

I definitely echo Joseph's advice about inside cover strips.  They're fairly optional in most places (I went with them everywhere because I like the cleaner look), but IMO should be considered mandatory for the shins, since that front joint is flexed quite a bit every time you put them on and off.

Aaron, Kalani, Joseph--thanks for the quick replies.

Kalani, your build thread is one of my favorites.  It has been really helpful as I work my way through my own.

And Joseph, I live in Clermont.  With any luck, I will be joining up with Makaze soon.

Have you been to one of Gary jr.'s armor parties yet?  If so, I may have even met you..  He has them quite a bit, and they are listed on the FL. Garrisons's boards when he holds one.  Always at least 2 or 3 Centurion level TKs there (including Gary, his dad, and myself) that can help you out with your build.

Joseph--I haven't been to any build parties, but I would like to go to some.  I had looked around on the Florida garrison page, but I thought that the forums weren't visible unless one was already in the 501st.  Am I wrong about this? If I am right, is there any other way to find out about such parties?