Inkedfritos686 ANH AM 2.0 build and journey

So hey everyone, I thought about it and decided to move my build thread to the actual sub forum. So if you have been viewing the accidental one on the main forum of ANH, I won't be adding to that one anymore. Anyways welcome and glad to be a part of the community. Without further waiting, let's get the show on the road.

So starting fresh in this new location here's a recap of what I've already done.

-drilled, sanded, and polished the teeth.

3060b01df67e199c06d58bd86b8d80d4.jpg

My awesome little guide holes.

2d54bd0df19f716b3af1948d844ccefc.jpg

Cut with a dremel..who couldn't love a smile like that haha.

0cbe89f94ce55c609e43dc4ddf47ff78.jpg

Sanded and now polished.

-glue the back of helmet together with E6000, magnets and clamps.

04cb974a9021bab35821bae8d445836c.jpg

The blue tape on magnets is because they protect my helmet from any unwanted marks while still retaining their hold.

Tape around the clamps to protect helmet as well.

-helmet now after 24 hour wait period.

fadfb8d7074981021f61f8ff8e73c8a0.jpg

a0e0d6be04863e1a97b12903c52fa9a9.jpg

Still working on the super tiny cap in back.

7a8a6243b2d09456c21c874cf97b1c7c.jpg

-coated the inside of the front and back of helmet with plasti dip.

- covered outside of helmet with plastic bag and tons of masking tape.

1st coat:

943dfce399579ce4a281a077e079d479.jpg

d034fc1201442a47d5a5c869cd3c4e13.jpg

529f6f2166132212deac9a66490db34d.jpg

2nd coat:

aad34de579d4c8fe14d8f5fbab94fc87.jpg

It looks a lot cleaner after the second coat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today's project is working on tackling the exterior paint job. Hopefully my experience with painting models and miniature figures pays off...even if it was years ago.

Hovi Mics:

3017e3e8d438e6adade3e9e3690a73fa.jpg

This picture is after applying the second coat of Testors #1747 "gloss black." I have read and seen that people are saying that the mic tips and vocoder should actually be painted satin black. If so I'll go back and go over them later.

I then went ahead and started to attempt the vocoder. I made light pencil lines around what I think is the outline.

5aef49e233028659e11e1e5c953ebb01.jpg

Added a lot of masking tape to make a protective layer around the vocoder.

1st attempt:

f3eddec862dd41b27ed993105964ad53.jpg

Needs more roughing up and a nice fine brush for the edges. Not anywhere close to where I want it to be though.

While taking a break from the vocoder, I decided to tape around the frown. I made pencil marks around the teeth where they connect to the frown I think.

7e9944201734014ad49f0fd02b18243e.jpg

1st coat(teeth):

87e5286b2f9a48b7b8ad08018ed05f28.jpg

Need another coat or two to really get where I want them to be.

Question:

When cutting out the 8 teeth, there are two extra left over. One on either side of the frown. Like this:

ac5ae296452f8eb77541da5536c4d083.jpg

Do I paint over this area in gray or no?

Any tips or advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Here ya go: <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/16270-anh-frown-reference-pix/'>http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/16270-anh-frown-reference-pix/</a><br><br>

By the looks of things, since the originals were hand painted, there are no actual "rules" regarding this. The teeth can be as clean and crisp as you like, or gnarled and rough looking. At least that's my interpretation of the pinned reference link above. Perhaps somebody can clarify this if necessary. I'm still bumbling along as well. I think there are some helmet painting videos on the Trooperbay YouTube channel. Keep it up. Looking good.

I think you might need to mix your black paint more. I only did one coat on my vocoder and that was sufficient. Your paint looks like it's still a little translucent. Give the paint a good mixing using a toothpick, let it sit for a day and then paint again. I had that issue with the grey when I was painting the frown.

• Like 1

Be careful when matching the face to the back!

Don't just drill the dimples and think it will line up. My AM 2.0 I just got in May was way off and I ended up trying multiple times to line it up.

Ultimately I drilled the middle dimple on one side that lined up the brow best, then the middle dimple on the other side. Before you drill the top and bottom holes, squeeze the cheeks together to beat match the ear, then install cheek holding screw. Then the bottom the ear, then you can mark and drill the top and bottom holes.

It took a lot of trial and error but I got it really nice.

I think you might need to mix your black paint more. I only did one coat on my vocoder and that was sufficient. Your paint looks like it's still a little translucent. Give the paint a good mixing using a toothpick, let it sit for a day and then paint again. I had that issue with the grey when I was painting the frown.

Thanks for the tip. I'll do that today so that I can go over it again tomorrow.

So far today, I repainted the vocoder with a second coat. Starting to get better.

2nd coat:

a0e83533d3d1bb21c20bea3b3fd0b52d.jpg

I also went and did a second coat on the frown.

2nd coat:

e6f920dc84b8c8767f284bc8ee76a3e4.jpg

I worked on installing the hovi Mics as best as I could. I look at some threads and improvised from there. Since the AM helmet isn't properly proportioned, the same goes for the areas where the mics must be placed.

So I went ahead and bought rubber washers since from what I see, they give a great hold on the plastic.

dc42b4a2eef8cae2cb903bbc45afcb01.jpg

I went ahead and lined up the first mic as straight as I could. Drilled a hole and did this.

63137f1e9e6043fb3b054cd9ca73dc1f.jpg

I did the same steps as the first mic. I worked at aligning them both so they would look straight. Then installed the second one.

0be2818bce9b97c45a0f458a8ce8add7.jpg

Does this look right? It seems straight to me. What do others think?

I also made the mistake and tightened a little to much. It's not noticeable on the outside at all. The inside not so much. Will this slow me down anyway or count against me?

355c9bf4ea9ed581278af396b148bf15.jpg

Could I cover the area up with smoke or black foam? Since I was thinking of adding foam into the side for look and comfortability.

I was just working on the same thing tonight!

I took some scraps and molded then by hand as reinforcements since the helmet was so thin in that area.

0a57ab4e9a4a92cb36a0bd3ad7c592ed.jpg

So I can cover up the indents right there using the technique you used? Just asking since I don't know if I'll be able to fix the indents

This question is open to anyone.

Does anyone know which screws are for the bucket? Ears?

3300a2148307c43a4038fe288c0f207a.jpg

Or

8cc6bf0c993f7d20454c390abe12cb65.jpg

My kit didn't come with instructions. These screws came out of the packaging that include the inside head harness/mic tips. What about anyone else who has done or seen an AM 2.0? I haven't been able to find a thread so far that details specifically which screws. Unless I'm blind.

Behind the ear in the center is the short round head.

Outside top of ear uses the two flat head long ones.

I believe the bottom of the ear uses the short flat head.

I added a short round head to pull the cheeks together. It wasn't even no the kit.

This is so weird- it's like looking into a mirror tonight. I'm about 10 minutes ahead of you with my AM 2.0 helmet build.

I just painted the screws and will install the ears tomorrow.

Lens is cut/drilled and ready to install.

I'll figure out the padding tomorrow too.

The electronics may be another story... That's going to take some time. I'm concentrating on getting ready for approval now.

This is so weird- it's like looking into a mirror tonight. I'm about 10 minutes ahead of you with my AM 2.0 helmet build.

I just painted the screws and will install the ears tomorrow.

Lens is cut/drilled and ready to install.

I'll figure out the padding tomorrow too.

The electronics may be another story... That's going to take some time. I'm concentrating on getting ready for approval now.

Good job on the progress! I can seem to find my decals or lens. Might go to Home Depot and get a welding green lens. Seems to be of stronger and darker material. Can I still put helmet together and then put on all the decals last?

I fitted the lens with the face off. Put the bolts through the holes, line it up then punch the holes to go over the lenses. Put some #6 nuts and washers on to hold the lens on. Then disassemble and install the face to the helmet.

YOU NEED TO INSTALL THE FRONT BROW DECALS BEFORE ASSEMBLY. They go under the rubber.

You can install all the other ones at the end.

Well today has not been as productive. Tried to put some decals on. My hand was so shaky that air bubbles got under the decals. Tried to fix it and ended up ripping the decals. Looks like I'm going to have to hand paint. I heard the hand painted looking decals look the best but my hands can't stay still to save my life